• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Need help from TRG Users

burntorangefan

Private
Minuteman
Jan 17, 2021
Bonney Lake, WA
Hi all, I’m probably going to get killed for this type of first post, but here we go...I jumped off the deep end of wanting to learn the LRS game and bought a TRG-22 in .308 (26” barrel) on gunbroker as well as a NF 5x25x56mm ATACR scope. Hoping for some expertise from the TRG shooters on rings vs mounts, and naturally the standard noob “what height should I buy” question. Sorry in advance for this but it seems like the correct heights vary greatly depending on platform and I just hoped someone could comment on what works well for the. I’m under the assumption that LOW rings/mounts won’t work due to the 56mm objective on the scope. At any rate, any help is greatly appreciated.

Reactions: stefan73
How much money do you want to spend? First pick I have all TRG quick mounts, expensive , works great,
Next would be a Spuhr one piece mount, directly to Dovetail clean seems to be great, I run high scopes though
Lieca PBR 5-25 uses a med hieght to high mount depending if you have picatinny or TRG top.

I replaced the factory Picatinny rail with a Near MFG rail after the factory rail sheared the mounting screws. Spuhr is another good choice especially if you want to mount directly to the receiver dovetail. I'd think the Spuhr ST-4701 would work.

Reactions: rancher5
Thanks guys. It came with a Picatinny on top, but because it’s not new I don’t know if it’s factory or aftermarket. I’m not partial to any particular setup. For the sake of argument, assume cost doesn’t matter. I’m already deep down the rabbit hole, at this point it’s water on a drowning man.

Thanks guys. It came with a Picatinny on top, but because it’s not new I don’t know if it’s factory or aftermarket. I’m not partial to any particular setup. For the sake of argument, assume cost doesn’t matter. I’m already deep down the rabbit hole, at this point it’s water on a drowning man.
Its an awesome rifle I have a Pre 2013 using TRG mounts and a Post 2013 came with a Picatinny rail, Spuhr wasn't around than, and none of the TRG came with tops, I'd still go with a one piece Sphur mount. probably get away with a Med 1.35 I use 1.5 I can measure it later or post a Pic,
Thanks all. I have the Picatinny installed so I guess to use Spuhr 4701 I’d have to take it off as it’s dovetail only.
If you take of the picatinny rail, its a real bitch to remove, heat maybe dynamite, becareful.

Reactions: burntorangefan
I replaced the factory Picatinny rail with a Near MFG rail after the factory rail sheared the mounting screws. Spuhr is another good choice especially if you want to mount directly to the receiver dovetail. I'd think the Spuhr ST-4701 would work.

How did you do that? The factory rail is epoxied and pinned in place in addition to the screws.

How did you do that? The factory rail is epoxied and pinned in place in addition to the screws.
Mine was only secured with screws, it wasn't pinned. When I called Near MFG he mentioned the factory rails have issues, and while he might not be the most impartial source, he seemed to be sincere.

Last edited:
  • Haha
I removed the rail from my Sako TRG. I used a heat gun with a reducer tip (to restrict the heat to a small area) on the screws and rail. The rail seemed to be held on with some kind of epoxy and to remove that I used Klean Strip Strip-X Stripper (use in a well ventilated area) and a plastic scrapper, just take it slow and easy.

I ended up knocking my rail off and direct mounting a spuhr mount, I highly recomend the KRG spigot, below is a KRG folding stock. I'm kind of set up for PRS stuff or at least that's the goal. made some changes this year with a whiskey 3 on the 22 and moved the folder over to the42 300win
6-27-20 4.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_3061.jpg
    IMG_3061.jpg
    561.6 KB · Views: 51
What does heat have to do with shearing off screws on a pinned and epoxied rail?
Pins, screws, and adhesive are all differnt process steps for affixing the rail.

Loctite or threadlocker is easily removed with sufficient heat (varies by SKU).
Similarly, the industrial adhesive or epoxy can be defeated with heat.

AFAIK Pins are ~physical limiters~ and limit shear forces (eg, on the epoxy or screws).

I ended up knocking my rail off and direct mounting a spuhr mount, I highly recomend the KRG spigot, below is a KRG folding stock. I'm kind of set up for PRS stuff or at least that's the goal. made some changes this year with a whiskey 3 on the 22 and moved the folder over to the42 300win
View attachment 7547259
Id highly recommend upgrading to a vision hand guard. Got mine a couple of weeks ago and hands down the best upgrade for a TRG considering prs.