• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Rifle Scopes Need Help Mounting Scope

paulsnapp

Private
Minuteman
Jul 29, 2008
I should know but I don't so I will ask if it matters what sequence is used to mount a scope to the rifle. I have a Leupold Mark4 LR/T M3 to mount to my M24. It has a two piece Mark 4 rings and two piece base. The bases are already mounted but not the bottom portion of the rings. Leupold tells me the torque to tighten the base of the rings to the mounts on the rifle is 65 in-lbs and the torque to tighten the top and bottom rings together is 22 in-lbs. My questions are these. Since the scope has never been mounted, do I mount the base of the rings to the mounts on the rifle, torque to 65, lay in the scope, attach the top of the rings and torque to 22? Or - do I assemble the rings on the scope first, torque them, and then attach the scope with rings to the base on the rifle and torgue to 65? It may not even matter either way but just wondering if there is a right way to do it to insure proper alignment for the initial mounting? Thanks for the help!

Re: Need Help Mounting Scope

Mount the base of your rings first. Set your scope in the ring base. finger tighten the top half of rings so you can scoot the scope forward or back in them to set your eye relief. Them set the cross hairs level. tighten your screws a little at a time in rotation.

Not a dumb question.
Good shooting.

First things first. Make sure rifle is clean and bottom of base is clean. (No oil, no lubricant.) Use blue loctite ( removable.) I set rings on base losely and scope on top and adjust the eye relief first. You want to be able to shoulder the weapon with eyes closed and then open them and have the eye relief perfect and the height perfect to where there is no adjusting of your head or eyes to see your target perfectly without moving. After you get that right then it's time to snug things down gently. Alignment is very important or you can cause scope damage or denting. I personally go back and forth between rings to scope and rings to base gently and with baby steps. Some people prefer alignment rods from places like "sinclair" to get things just right before the scope ever touches the rings but I believe that the majority of people use just the scope to help align the rings to scope and rings to base...Good luck and happy shooting.....SmokeRolls

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: longtooth</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mount the base of your rings first. Set your scope in the ring base. finger tighten the top half of rings so you can scoot the scope forward or back in them to set your eye relief. Them set the cross hairs level. tighten your screws a little at a time in rotation.

Not a dumb question.
Good shooting. </div></div>

This is good advice. In addition, the most important thing is to take your time and be methodical. When you go to the range for the first time check your torque settings after every round fired. It is tedious but very important as scopes tend to settle into the rings for the first 20-30 rounds. If you are not using high quality rings then you may need to align, and lap the rings prior to mounting the scope. I don't believe blue loctite should be necessary if you have good quality rings and you perform good scope mounting technique.

I was going to ask a similar question. I have a Premier Heritage coming next month for my new build and was going to look for a local shop here in the Houston area to do it professionally.

Is this something I should just do at home or with a friend with more experience in this than me?