• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Rifle Scopes Need help picking a scope...Sightron? Nikon?

BlackSS

Private
Minuteman
Mar 1, 2010
I am getting a custom Savage 110 FLCP in 25.06 and can't for the life of me decide on an optic. Gun will be used for medium sized game out to 400 or so, varmints, punching paper, shooting steel, etc.. No competitive shooting, just for fun.
I'm not new to guns, but this will be my first long range gun.
I'm looking at an absolute max of $1000, would like to keep it around $700.
I've been looking at the Viper PST, but I have decided not to buy the first production run on a new model from a fairly new company. I want something a little more tried and true.
I've been looking at Sightron, Burris XTR, Bushnell Elite 6500, Nikon Monarch X, Zeis Conquest, but can't decide.

I want something in the range of a 4-16, any clear cut best choice at this price point?

Re: Need help picking a scope for new gun

The Zeiss is the best glass in that price range hands down. I consider Zeiss to have better glass than many scopes in the 1000-1500 price range.

Zeiss as a company is great to work with and there customer service rocks. If you have any problems with your scope they will fix it. They even have a transferable owner warranty. They stand behind their scopes no matter what.

I would encourage you not to get the Rapid Z reticle however. I had a scope with this reticle and it was not what I had hoped for. The glass however was phenominal!

Get the Zeiss!!!

Re: Need help picking a scope for new gun

I say go with Sightron. The SII Big Sky and SIII lines have great glass and track very well. The only issue is Sightron only offers MOA/Mil configurations.

Re: Need help picking a scope...Sightron? Nikon?

BlackSS
The Nikon 4-16 X is a fine scope from Midway for less than 900 bucks.The adjustments are excellant glass is good but not S&B good.
gettiesburgh056.jpg

and
huntbike2009105.jpg

I like the 6-25x50 Sightron as well.Alittle more power for vermin and such.
video044.jpg

and
2008pig178.jpg

If your going to run it for big game.I'd do the Nikon.

dave

The Sightron is going to offer more adjustment than the Nikon, which really isn't going to be an issue out to 400 yards. I own a few of the SIII's, and I don't think you can get any better glass for under $1k in any brand.

I doubt either one will offer better tracking than the other, as both have very crisp and precise turrets. The only issue that would sway me from the Nikon is the customer service (or lack thereof). There have been a few horror stories in dealing with Nikon customer service on the boards, and its enough to make you think twice. Personally, I've never had any issues with them, and I own a few of their scopes, but I have not had to ship one back. I can tell you that Sightron's service is second to none, and that Melissa and Eden will take care of you regardless of the problem.

I went with Sightron SIII and I too was between Nikon, Zeiss and Sightron. No Mil/Mil or FFP. I also hear alot of good things about SWFA's Super Sniper which has mil/mil and FFP but only comes in 3-9x which is probably enough for 400yds.