• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Need help selecting scope for CZ Varment

Re: Need help selecting scope for CZ Varment

Ok, first answer some questions for me...

1) What is your budget?
2) Is the rifle for hunting or paper punching, or both even?
3) How far/close will you be shooting?

I'm sure i'm missing a few details but those are the ones that come to mind.

Sorry, but I can't suggest a scope for a purpose that hasn't been stated. If I were looking for a dedicated Silhouette scope i'd be looking at something different than if I wanted to shoot critters. Know what I mean?

+1 I agree with Terror.

That being said I have a Rimfire Tech 0 MOA picatiny base(no longer made IIRC), seekins 1" rings and a 4.5-14 Nikon Buckmaster with Mildot reticle.

It works well at 50 and 100yds with holdovers.

Good luck, the 452's are fun lil rifles for sure

You will not regret getting the best glass you can afford. The burris fullfields are bright and can be purchased for under or around $300, depending what power you get. The Nikon Monarks are a little more but very nice glass. I have a Loupold VXIII 6.5x20 on my 452. It was almost twice the cost of my 452, but it is SWEEEEET.

Sorry I guess I did leave a few details out.To start out the rifle will be mostly used for training. I can shoot 22lr on my property and figured that I can practice alot more at home and at a lower price per round over my 308. Most of my shooting will be between 50 and 150yds.I would like to stay under $400.
I ordered some wolf target per advice on this site and will also get some different ammo once I get it and see what it likes.

Thanks

I have a CZ Varment, that I set up for my son.
It has a Leupold VX2 6x18x40 with target knobs.
fine duplex rec. Its good for hunting, target, and plinking!
I also put, a 20MOA rail on. I have took this rig out to 200yrds....with no prob!

Hope this helped

LOBO 151

In that case I’ll say my usual two scope choices...

SWFA SS 10x (or 6x/16x/20x; whichever you prefer)

Vortex Crossfire OR Vortex Viper (NON PST)

Heck, you might even be able to find a used Viper HS 4-16 for under $400 if you look around.

I love my 10x, and nobody really has anything negative to say about them. There's the occasional hater, but for the most part users love their scopes.

Vortex has a good reputation too, but the amount of displeased customers on the lower end scopes is alot more. You rarely see anyone complain about a PST, but you will see people who have had bad experiences with the Crossfire line.

I go back and fourth on what I would do if I could do it all over again. I remember saying a few times that I’d go Vortex to save a few bucks over the SWFA 10x but in all reality, the 10x has NEVER displeased me. I wish I’d have gotten the 16x or 20x models instead though as spotting shots through the scope at 200+ is very difficult for me on the 10x. I can't say enough good things about this scope though. It's a fantastic buy for the money, and is $100 under your budget. Quick hint though, don't waste your money on the sunshade. I bought it and it's machined nicely and fits perfectly, but it seems to make the picture less bright (duh, common sense...) and that's a big no-no to me. I like the optics to be as bright and clear as possible. So the sunshade was just a useless attachment for me personally, YMMV of course...

Back to what I was saying before I went off on that tangent: If I could do it all over again, I would buy the 16x or 20x model instead. I do however, want to take advantage of SWFA's deal on the 1" Crossfire model they have on sale. I don't need the adjustments that a 30mm tube has to offer, and it provides much more magnification for me to use while still having an AO. I want to use it for a Silhouette/Hunting rifle build though, so my uses will vary from your own.

Ok, so about your rings/base. As I’m sure you know, you don't need any +MOA bases to get you to 150 (as long as you don't get a lemon of a rifle) and you don't need a scope with butt loads of adjustment to correct for drop either. So just about anything will work, in short. IF you do wish to go farther, (which I guarantee you will some day) you will have to find out if your scope has enough adjustment on its own. If not, then you'll need to look into +MOA bases offered by several companies.

Since you don't though, you can feel free to just use the dovetail that is built into the CZ receivers. This will save you 40-60 bucks. And Burris Signature Zee rings will get you out shooting.

Hope this helps,
-Dylan

I had a Mark 4 16X M1 on my CZ452V but it was bought for my big rifle and now resides where it belongs. Since I have been spoiled to the 16x fixed I think my next purchase will be the SS 16x. Never owned one but I hear a lot of crowing about the SS line. If you are only going out to 150yds I would get the Bushnell Elite 10x, I have one of those and it is one of the few Bushnells I am impressed with. You can't beat the price point and Natchez had them on sale still last I checked for $160.

I have a CZ Varmint and mounted a Leupold 6x42mm AO Competition Hunter with target dot (~$450) in CZ rings.

Be very cautious about your mount / ring selection, as many supposedly appropriately sized rings do not engage the dovetail correctly, possibly resulting in a canted and / or off-center scope. Not an issue with the CZ rings.

Check the CZ section of the Rimfire Central forum.

Zeiss Conquest 6.5-20 in Burris Sig rings on my 453 Varmint in .17hmr...
IMG_0051.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Will Fennell</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Since my cz is my "trainer" , and I run a NF mil/mil scope, I went with a weaver tactical 3.5x10 mil/mil scope from midway...great glass for the $$$, and the knobs are fine....</div></div>

I don't use a NF but I do run mil/mil and really do like this weaver scope. My friend has a bushnell elite 3-12 mil/mil and he claims the weaver is right on par with the bushnell!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: g2004</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Zeiss Conquest 6.5-20 in Burris Sig rings on my 453 Varmint in .17hmr...
IMG_0051.jpg
</div></div>

What stock is that???

There are a lot of options out there but I have used a SWFA 10X on one of my .22's for a while and it worked great for the 50-150 yard ranges. I just shot at 150yds with this scope last week and could see my hits that were in the white part of the target (22LR).

I also use a Sightron SII Big Sky 6-24 x 44 AO on my .22's and it works great as well. The Sightron does let you see your hits a little better but I don't see much advantage over the SWFA...