Need Help With Atlas V8 bipod

KillShot

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
May 25, 2010
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Okay, here is my problem with the Atlas V8.

I can't see any way possible to prevent the bipod from being the slightest bit canted. In other words, it could be barely canted and you wouldn't know it until your shots weren't placed properly on the target or worse, you'd missed your mark when it counted the most.

This could be remedied with something such as a small lever or push pin but, there is no such option.

This is an issue that I didn't have with the GG&G bipod which I sold and replaced with the Atlas V8.

What, if anything, have you guys who own the Atlas done to prevent what I've described above from happening?

Re: Atlas V8 Bipod Problem

That has nothing to do with the bipod...

Harris Bipods are like that have a L/R Tilt to them...

what if the ground isnt perfectly lvl but doesnt warrent a extra notch on one side and you need the tilt to level out the reticle... ? Only shooting from a bench / perfectly level surface?

only way your going to tell if it is perfectly level is if you have a bubble level on your platform... Then you have to assume that your bubble level is perfect...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KillShot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Okay, here is my problem with the Atlas V8.

I can't see any way possible to prevent the bipod from being the slightest bit canted. In other words, it could be barely canted and you wouldn't know it until your shots weren't placed properly on the target or worse, you'd missed your mark when it counted the most.

This could be remedied with something such as a small lever or push pin but, there is no such option.

This is an issue that I didn't have with the GG&G bipod which I sold and replaced with the Atlas V8.

I REALLY like the Atlas but If I can't figure out how to remedy this issue, I'll probably sell the Atlas at a loss and get another GG&G.

What, if anything, have you guys who own the Atlas done to prevent what I've described above from happening? </div></div>
If you decide to sell it lemme know.

Jason,

Thanks for the prompt reply. I was actually considering a bubble level and then saw what you posted in response to the topic. I have my rifle propped up on the bipod/monopod and using a level on the top turret, I have it leveled precisely. However, as you are saying, I guess the only way to remedy this issue is with a scope level.

i believe your over thinking this level issue a bit too much... most people I know dont have a scope level and they shoot very well, never heard one say they missed a shot because they didnt have a level platform...

Do a test ... Level out your platform as best you can then fire a shot or two... then tilt the rifle to the side using the same POA ... and see where it lands ... i would be curious to see the difference...

I do know for some of the Comps ive done they have had us do "homie" shots which require a 90 degree ( or as close as you can ) shot ... usually the POI is 1 mil low and L/R depending which way the scope is...

So IE you have to hold high and L/R

I've been under the impression that the <span style="font-style: italic">least bit</span> of tilt can dramatically thrown your POI off, which is why I was curious. If what you say holds true then I have nothing to be concerned about.

Thanks, again, for the info and advice.

Oh, and Savage110, if ever I decide to sell it...you'll get first dibs. You have my word.
wink.gif

no the least little bit of tilt wont dramatically throw you POI off... hell some scopes go out of the factory with a 1 or 2 degree cant built in... that is some of the manufactures acceptable tolerance ...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jason_B</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="font-weight: bold">no the least little bit of tilt wont dramatically throw you POI off... hell some scopes go out of the factory with a 1 or 2 degree cant built in... that is some of the manufactures acceptable tolerance ...</span> </div></div>

Very good to know. You've been a major help in this situation and I appreciate it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: macman2564</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="font-weight: bold">There is a write up someone did on this in the advanced marksmanship section. At 600 his POI was off like 4 inches or something like that with a 5 degree cant.</span></div></div>

Wow...ha ha...I'm nowhere near that much so I've nothing to worry about!

Saying you missed because the bipod was canted it a good excuse, I am gonna write that one down...

<span style="font-weight: bold">Bang !,</span> <span style="font-style: italic">miss</span>, Oh shit my bipod was canted... <span style="font-style: italic">do over. </span>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Saying you missed because the bipod was canted it a good excuse, I am gonna write that one down...

<span style="font-weight: bold">Bang !,</span> <span style="font-style: italic">miss</span>, Oh shit my bipod was canted... <span style="font-style: italic">do over. </span></div></div>

HA HA HA HA! You are such a smart ass, and I like it!
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KillShot</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I was actually considering a bubble level...</div></div>

Humans are equipped with two levels. The are attached just inside those fleshy things that keep your sunglasses on your face. When attached to eyeballs they have an amazing ability to adjust things with regard to the gravitational pull of the earth when momentum is not present.

Hence the reason the bubble level that came with my scope still resides in the box in my garage, and I have no problem with the Atlas on my rifle.

Many of us have shot well past 2000 yards without bubble levels on our rifles. Learn to shoot without the do-dads otherwise they will be your crutch.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Learn to shoot without the do-dads otherwise they will be your crutch. </div></div>

One of the better pieces of general advice I've seen on here for a while. Can be applied to way more than just the shooting disciplines.

Shooting problem that I'm blaming on my bipod

The can't in your bipod is there to let you adjust for uneven ground. If you're shooting on a level bench every time then yes, get a non-swivel bipod.

I'll gladly take that POS V8 from you though, if'n it will help your shooting.

Re: Shooting problem that I'm blaming on my bipod

My only issue with the Atlas V8 is that guys like them too much, there are never any cheap ones to scoop up from the classifieds! When I want 2 or 3 of them full retail hurts just a little.
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My only issue with the Atlas V8 is that guys like them too much, there are never any cheap ones to scoop up from the classifieds! When I want 2 or 3 of them full retail hurts just a little.
smile.gif
</div></div>

My problem is finding one for sale!

You can find them at http://ustacticalsupply.com , which is where I purchased mine.

I realize the issue I've explained seems a bit absurd, if not downright amusing, but for someone such as myself who hasn't as much experience as some of you veterans and old timers on here, you never know until you ask.

I only recently found a range nearby that had accommodations for prone shooting with the other range I've visited only having benches, thus the reason for the question and inquiry about the scope bubble level which I have now learned that I don't need and much better off without.

I love the Atlas V8, no doubt about it. The ball joint will just take some getting used to because I've never used a swivel bipod before.

Much appreciation for everyone that commented, whether helpful or smartastic.
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My only issue with the Atlas V8 is that guys like them too much, there are never any cheap ones to scoop up from the classifieds! When I want 2 or 3 of them full retail hurts just a little.
smile.gif
</div></div>

Sell a Hendsolt, buy 10 bipods
smile.gif

KillShot, for clarity and for anyone that might read this thread, my response was to your ORIGINAL title of the thread " PROBLEM WITH ATLAS V8" then to read that the "Problem" was your lack of understanding of the cant feature on the Atlas. Obviously you have changed the title, to which I would have said nothing.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kasey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">KillShot, for clarity and for anyone that might read this thread, my response was to your ORIGINAL title of the thread " PROBLEM WITH ATLAS V8" then to read that the "Problem" was your lack of understanding of the cant feature on the Atlas. Obviously you have changed the title, to which I would have said nothing.
</div></div>

No prob, Kasey. I didn't change the title of the topic and when creating the topic I should've come up with a better title because there is NO PROBLEM with the Atlas bipod but rather how I go about being sure my rifle isn't canted without my wanting it to be. However, after reading the few helpful replies to my issue, I now realize that a slight cant isn't going to affect my POI enough to make a difference. I'm not a competition shooter and I doubt I will be anytime in the near future so between now and then, I'll have plenty of time to become accustomed with the Atlas bipod.

Thanks again for your input. It is much appreciated.

There is no Atlas V8 Bipod Problem in this thread!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KillShot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've been under the impression that the <span style="font-style: italic">least bit</span> of tilt can dramatically thrown your POI off....... </div></div>

Internet less, shoot more.

I got an Atlas V8 with AI spigot delivered an hour ago. Big props to Diann and Adam at Mile High!!

This is my first time handling one, and everything I read on here was no hyperbole, it's definitely a solid piece of kit, and very well made. I mounted it on my spanking new AW and am taking it to the range tomorrow to try out the whole package. Initial impressions from playing on the living room floor are pretty cool. The adjustment wheel is pretty stiff, but I'm sure that's because it's new. No more Harris's for me.

David

Its stiff for a reason. You can either lock it down, or back it out to have a little or mucho pan l/r. Kasey actually improved it over the V7 with yee ole' washer mod.

smile.gif
</div></div>

Botatch tactical usually has them for sale
grin.gif