• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Need Help with my new Anschutz 1517 MPR/17HMR

Long_Action

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 19, 2009
Michigan
Just picked the rifle up from a gun shop an hours drive away. I watched it on GB for a few rounds w/zero bids. Made an offer and picked it up for 1/2 of retail(not 2 bad for a nib never fired stick) . I have 2 questions

1. How am I going to bore sight it in. I have used my Laserlyte w/my 22-50bmg and have been on paper w/in 4-6" at 100yards 1st shot. Since it is a .17 it will not work with the rifle and second..... Due to the layout of the stock I can't pull the bolt and look down the barrel. So...... set it up at 25 yards and go to town????

2. Has any1 mounted a bipod to a Anschutz like this? I'm a tool and die maker so I might need to make something custom?

pics ot the new stick
17hmr001.jpg

17hmr002.jpg

17hmr003.jpg

Re: Need Help with my new Anschutz 1517 MPR/17HMR

Is it too obvious to suggest removing the bolt and manually boresighting?

That's what I did before I was given a collimator.

Oops! I guess I can't read.

Are you sure the cheekpiece is higher than the bore? You mean you have to pull it out of the stock to clean? One of us is missing something.

The butt stock comes up to the center of the barrel. I'm going to pull the bolt and just sight in the scope manually(I will need to be looking a few inches back from the butt pad(+ the barrel length is 25"). Should be close enough.... on paper @ 25 yards. It will be like looking thru a 3ft long straw!

You probably already know this technique, it's usually a 3 shot sight in. From sandbags on a bench take your first shot. Put the scope back on the bullseye and keep everything stationary while you adjust the cross hairs to the bullet hole you just made.

Works for me...

I got the gun sighted in with a mag bore sight at the range. Would have been better if I didn't do it on the pistol side of the range and the guy next to me wasn't shooting a lever 44 mag off the bench at the same time.