• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

F T/R Competition Need help with ring selection

Re: Need help with ring selection

Mount the scope on the gun using modelling clay, get the scope at the height that you want then measure the thickness of the modelling clay. Your base + ring should equal that thickness.

Make sure you check the scope height when in your shooting position.

Like this
imageqvc.th.jpg

Ring selection? Let's see... you don't need anything clearer than a G-H color if it's going to be mounted in a yellow gold band... Oh, not that kind of ring selection. Forgot to read the posts. Nevermind.
laugh.gif

I just mounted a Schmidt Bender PMII 5-25x56 scope on a Savage 110 BA.

After futzing around for about a half hour with a friend who is very learned on this topic, we'd decided on Ken Farrell 34mm standard rings. After he left, along the lines of measure twice, cut once, I took a stack of quarters seven high to get the same height we'd calculated by using a machinist's rule and a couple of sharpie pens (used the barrel thickness). I don't do this often enough that I'm comfortable with the process, obviously. I then took one quarter off, measured the stack thickness again, said "close enough" and ordered the set.

Rings came, everything bolted on, and there is enough room below the bell of the objective (with flip-up cover) that I can slip a dollar bill under it and the fore-end of the long-ass rail Savage puts on this gun.

Get the gun level, put the scope on a stack of quarters at the height you want, measure the stack, that's the ring height rail to bottom of scope give or take a few thousandths, but we're not building Mars polar orbital landers here.

Modeling clay can work, but it'll deform some, stick to the rail (you did use saran wrap?), compress when you dial down a caliper, but it'll work, depends what you've got on hand and can measure.