• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Gunsmithing Need some advice re: My Remington 700

jasonstoj

Private
Minuteman
Apr 19, 2010
Newcastle, AUSTRALIA
Ok guys.. so I recently decided I want to modify my bolt action Remington 700 SPS Tactical .308 Win
I've been scowering the net for days and everytime I'd type a question in google "Sniper's Hide" forums were always in there!
So I figure there's obviously people in here that know what's what! So here I am!!

Here's what I'm thinking....
I want to do 3 things really bad....

1. Get a detachable mag conversion (5 round mags)
2. Fit a muzzle brake
3. Fit a tactical bolt handle

So far from what I can tell, Badger Ordnance is the way to go for the detachable mag and either Badger or Surefire for the brake...As for the bolt handle... I've found a few that I like already but it doesn't hurt to ask for suggestions!

Keep in mind she (yes... she's my girl) has a heavy conture 20" barrel that's obviously quite thick so I'm having trouble figuring out what models will fit that... don't get me wrong, I do realise that the barrel will have to be modified, it's just that the surefire model that matches the barrel size is for .338 Lapua and NOT .308 Win

Let's all just pretend that money is no object, tell me what you think is the best of the best for what I'm after and I'll go from there!!

Thanks so much guys!

Looking forward to hearing from some people who share my passion!

Re: Need some advice re: My Remington 700

Where do you live? I have a benchrest builder down the road that does all my work. Here is my SPS tactical. I wouldn't get the Surefire brake unless you intend on buying a Surefire suppressor. Here is mine with an AAC brake for the 762SD suppressor, and tactical bolt. Also check out the SEEKINS MAG kit, I plan on going that route when funds become available.

DSC02348.jpg

DSC02122.jpg

Here is what she shot loaded out .003" from the lands. 5 shot group.

DSC02265.jpg

I live in Australia, so where to get the work done is a completely different problem...

That's a beautiful set up you've got, the brake is exactly the look im going for... how secure is it though? This may be a silly question but do you ever have to worry that it'll come loose slightly and affect your accuracy after extended use?

Thanks alot... I'll look into the mag kit!

P.S. Nice shot group!

I'm guessing the one you have is the 18T Fast-Attach Brake right? And I'm new to this stuff but I'm guessing that the "Thread Pitch" won't matter because my barrel isn't threaded so I just buy one and then have my barrel threaded to the same pitch as the break right?

Also, I'm not really looking at buying a suppressor at all (I'd like one but they're not legal here)

So my main reasons for wanting the brake are recoil reduction and reduced barrel rise.... not to mention just how damn cool they look!!!

Is it effective in that respect?

Thanks again!

The muzzle brake I have is on there, it's not coming off. I've had no issues with the suppressor backing off the brake. I'm sure someone will chime in on a muzzle brake for your application. I never shot my sps before the brake was installed so I can't answer if it helped or not.

I was looking to put a brake on my SPS varmint for the barrel rise problem. I took the online training offered here and now watch most of my hits on varmints with a 24x scope as close as 100yds without a brake. The only thing required is proper form. I am still working to see all my hits, but do see most which is more than I use to say. It's the best $10 a month you can spend and works on all your rifles. I am looking at CDI for the detachable mag option for my SPS since it doesn't use a proprietary magazine. The bolt knobs can be done by most all the gunsmith/vendors here and really comes down to a matter of preference in shape and size. Here's a picture of my SPS from a groundhog hunt a few weeks ago. I watched the impact of the bullet on the rodent in the picture through the scope and knew instantly I had made a good shot.
Remington 243 SPS varmint
Bell and Carlson A2 stock
Rifle Basix varmint trigger
Harris 9"-13" swivel bipod with podloc
TAB sling
Eagle stock pack
Badger 0MOA base
Badger bolt knob
Duracoat coyote brown finish on metal
Burris signature 6x-24x-44AO scope
Accushot monopod
Weaver rings (scope and rings are temporary for a few more months)
PICT0086-1.jpg