• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

New 10PC W/ z71rat Mag

762DMR

Private
Minuteman
Apr 9, 2011
north AZ
308SNIPERjpg.jpg
Mine!Thanks to z71rat for the fast service, Nice Mag!!

Re: New 10PC W/ z71rat Mag

Well, that rifle looks almost exactly like mine... I am waiting on a 16XSS right now. I love the profile looks of the mag. Thanks for the kind words, and for posting the pic Milo!!

DK

Very nice rifle! Lets see a range report when you get around to it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: z71rat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am waiting on a 16XSS right now.</div></div>

Yea I know I had my eye on that to. Damn you. At least it going atop a Savage!
smile.gif

Savage 10PC .308
20" bbl
EGW HD base
10x42 SS Scope
Badger low rings
z71rat 10rnd mag
Eagle stock pack
Vtac sling
Harris S 9"x13" bipod W/ podloc

I fire formed 50rnd of brass today, Rifle shot great!!
Time to work on my load, I will post pics of my savage target soon!
Rob

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BrettSass844</div><div class="ubbcode-body">At least it going atop a Savage!
smile.gif
</div></div>

AMEN Brother!! Nothing but the barrel nut!!

DK

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: billyburl2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey Z, have you done any WSM mags? </div></div>

I have not worked one up at this point. I am curious just how much different the factory magazine body is compared to the 243/308 bodies. There is a chance that it will work just fine.

If you can take some dimensions of the body itself, both inside and outside with a set of calipers, I can measure the G3 body to make sure. If you want, send me the magazine body and follower assembly, and I will see if I can make you one. If I can make it work, I will make it for you for free. Sorta like the charge for R&D.

I will be working on a magazine setup for the 223 version shortly. I am just currently waiting on the parts to develope the shorter cartridge design. I was wondering what to do with the metal strapping that is on the inside of the G3, and I believe that I have found a use for it with the 223.

Also, just to let everyone know, there is going to be some more changes in the design. I will be adding a keeper tab to the front of the magazine body as well as a detent to the rear of the body to ensure there are no more epoxy failures. In initial testing, I was not able to separate the bodies "without the use of tools". In addition to the tab, I am changing over to the JBWeld vs. even the Devcon. I don't like it when my stuff doesn't perform up to my expectations.

DK

I have 3.058 outside, and 3.007 inside. I would say "close enough".

As long as the side to side dimension works out... I would say we have a winner!!

DK

I got 1.002 oustide, and .914 inside. So I feel confident that it will work with very little to no tweeking necessary. Send me the body and follower assemblies and I will make you one.

Just so you know, based on the current design, with the wider cases of the WSM, it will not hold exactly 10 rounds. Probably more like 9, or possibly even 8. If I remember right, the factory magazine holds like 3 in the WSM vs. 4 in the 243/308. I will need to change my cut points to allow enough of the G3 magazine body to remian, as I did with the original 12 round version of my magazine kit.

Right now, I would say that it is very doable.

DK

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tatertot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">+1 on the wsm mag, would be alot better than the stock 2 round mag. </div></div>

OK, that is what I was wondering about. I will give it a shot. I can definately get it to hold ALOT more rounds than 2!!

DK

My eyes have decided to make their transition to the "can't focus on nothin" stage. Higher powers are definately in order for me at this point.

I just got word my 16X is going in the mail on Monday. I will get some pics of it shortly after I get it set up Jazmine. The 16XSS is going to be a "boobjob" to make her more sexy"!! After I get the funds later on, she will be getting a PST boobjob, and be totally sexy!!

DK

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AXEMAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">as soon as budget allows i want to buy 5 of these at least </div></div>

Just so you know... the epoxied tab and detent is working perfectly!! It is fine with me if you need to get a part time job to get your 5 magazines!! LOL!!

DK

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: z71rat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Also, just to let everyone know, there is going to be some more changes in the design. I will be adding a keeper tab to the front of the magazine body as well as a detent to the rear of the body to ensure there are no more epoxy failures. In initial testing, I was not able to separate the bodies "without the use of tools". In addition to the tab, I am changing over to the JBWeld vs. even the Devcon. I don't like it when my stuff doesn't perform up to my expectations.

DK </div></div>

I did notice with mine that the front of the mag wanted to seperate after running 10 rounds thru it, it didn't affect function however.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: coldboremiracle</div><div class="ubbcode-body">zrat, you should start buying the factory Savage mags so they can be reconfigured to the "Rat mag", that way I can just pay you and ship to me
wink.gif
</div></div>

Funny enough, that is exactly what I am trying to do. It is based largely on when I go to the Savage website and I see "temporarily out of stock". I can easily get the G3 magazines, it's the Savage's that is the tough part of the story. Bodies are in stock, and the follower assemblies are not, or vice versa. Very frustrating.

I am doing what I can, with availability of parts and availability of funds.

DK

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tip2oo3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I did notice with mine that the front of the mag wanted to seperate after running 10 rounds thru it, it didn't affect function however. </div></div>

If you decide to send it back, I can update it with the tab front and detent rear changes and get it right back to you. I will make it right!!

DK

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: z71rat</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tip2oo3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I did notice with mine that the front of the mag wanted to seperate after running 10 rounds thru it, it didn't affect function however. </div></div>

If you decide to send it back, I can update it with the tab front and detent rear changes and get it right back to you. I will make it right!!

DK </div></div>

No problems so far so don't sweat it. If it changes I'll let you know. Thanks bud.

have you sought out anyone thats a pro welder? a sheetmetal guy like auto body. maybe a good TIG operator. i know it would require steel mags and thats harder to work with. could you make a jig to hold the body and use a 5" grinder with a better cut off if ever to make the major cuts? hard to suggest without watching the operation, but i am always thinking of easier ways to skin a cat.

no cats were hurt during this operation

Like I was saying before, I am trying to keep the cost down as much as possible to help everyone out in getting a 10 round magazine without breaking the bank. Yes, it has proven the epoxy method alone for some magazines has not cured/held correctly. For that, I do apologize. If I end up adding another person to the mix, as well as adding in the specialized welding, it would prove to be cost prohibitive to me.

Now for some GOOD news. I have changed the design as I was talking about. I have added the tab to the front of the magazine body where the problem presents itself the most, and a detent in the rear of the magazine. In initial testing, I was not able to pull the magazine bodies apart without the use of tools, even prior to the application of epoxy.

I am still using the epoxy with this new design, simply to ensure that there is no way possible for the assembly to come apart. So I now have both a mechanical catch and chemical bond holding the magazines together. I feel this combination is the fix that I was looking for to keep these magazines failure free.

Here are some pictures of the changes that have been made for you to check out. Keep in mind, I have not finished these mags, so the ones that will be shipping out will look much better, and the white of the epoxy will not be visible.

Also, just to put the information out there, these magazines have an inside clear opening for COAL of 2.875". Even with the changes that I have made to the factory Savage magazine body, the magazine can be put back together with the factory floor plate and function as it did when it was new in the box.

DK

10rndMagchanges001.jpg

10rndMagchanges002.jpg

And to answer the question concerning the reliability of the new design. So far, since I got home from work, I have cycled "100 rounds through each of the magazines" with ZERO changes in the magazine bodies at the connections.

Gotta start somewhere...

DK

Outstanding z71rat!!

Thanks for the update and pics! Looks like a good fix.
What do you Savage shooters say? The HK/G3 10rnd mag on a 10PC just looks Tacticool, and it does'nt cost $350.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: billyburl2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Z my mag is in the mail! </div></div>

I will let you know as soon as I get it!! I have plenty G3s in stock now, so it oughta be pretty quick turn around on it!!

DK

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rmilobrown</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The HK/G3 10rnd mag on a 10PC just looks Tacticool, and it does'nt cost $350. </div></div>

That right there is the biggest reason for me making these conversions. The desire to have that elusive 10th round was buggin the crap outta my bank account!!

DK

I finally got my 16XSS in today, and got her mounted up top. It has been awhile since I had a Super Sniper, and I am glad I have one again... I love these things!!

I also had to throw in my 10 round "RAT Mag" for the photo op. The mechanical lock and epoxy combination are working incredibly well, so you can now buy with confidence!!

On another note, I have caught Savage with having their parts in stock. I have 3 orders in now, so my plan to build out complete units ready for purchase, looks like it is going to happen!!

I will let you know how it is progressing...

DK

16XSS001.jpg