• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

New 3-18x50 Match Pro ED

Team RCBS & Bushnell

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
    Heads-up on a new, smaller Match Pro ED in 3-18x50mm.

I posted on Reddit already so it's mostly copy/paste on the details here.

It’s a baby MPED, but with a few significant differences from the bigger brother.

• Magnification range is obviously 3-18x now vs 5-30x.
    • Objective lens is down from 56mm to 50mm.
    • The above helped bring weight down to 28.4 ounces.
    • Illumination has shake awake. The controls are like we’re used to, but after 10 minutes of no movement it shuts itself down. Pick it up and it turns on like a red dot with shake awake.
    • The elevation knob is what you’re used to with the big brother. Same slick zero stop.
    • Windage knob’s different. It’s capped with a non-locking turret. Protects the knob a little more, and I figure plenty of people will be using these in applications where windage dialing isn’t as common.
    • The reticle is the same DM2 as the 5-30x, but subtensions needed to be adjusted a tad. A few line thicknesses had to gain some weight. The center dot is the same.
    • Total elevation is generous at 40 MRAD.
    Like the other Match Pro launches – The thing’s available today & now here: https://www.bushnell.com/scopes/shop-all-scopes/match-pro-ed-3-18x50-riflescope/BU-MP31850DMI.html Hopefully you can see it in person at some stores soon as well.

I’ll do my best to give answers on any questions you may have.

1726168075436.png

That Deploy MIL 2 reticle is actually very good for holds or precision with the center dot. Been using it in it's big brother the Match Pro ED 5-30x56 and I really like it for a tree reticle. I can see someone wanting a standard mil/moa crosshair only reticle but for the use of this scope on a match rifle or semi auto as pictured the tree works best.

1726177248748.jpeg

I would be happy with a non tree reticle. Once that tree is illuminated at dusk seeing the target will be tough. It would be a great multi purpose scope. Shame the glass won’t be up to scratch with European glass like Swarovski, Schmidt and Bender or Zeiss.

I would be happy with a non tree reticle. Once that tree is illuminated at dusk seeing the target will be tough. It would be a great multi purpose scope. Shame the glass won’t be up to scratch with European glass like Swarovski, Schmidt and Bender or Zeiss.

This is my exact thinking. I already don't like trees all that much. It's even worse when they illuminate the whole damn thing lol. At least if you're gonna have a tree, illuminate only the main cross hair haha.

But I get they're not building a scope around my own personal preferences and others might like it as it is sooooo...

Well neither is the price soooo ;)

Yeah being under $800 it will be where it is as far as glass but if it's like it's big brother it will be very good for that range and a little higher even. It definitely won't make you miss a target but if looking for alpha glass then the price range should be tripled obviously.

As to the illumination, it has 11 settings and the lower ones are just enough to illuminate to see it so shouldn't be that big of an issue in lower light situations.

Needs the G4 reticle. Trees are too busy for about anything beyond gamer shooting.
    Like a crossover target/hunting rifle say.

Illum just the dot or small part of the center. Too much light as noted

@Team RCBS & Bushnell
    You the same one who managed the account before the big shake up?
    CS has fallen off since then.

I tried to snap a pic of my reticle on number 1 setting with the scope cap closed so pitch black to show the reticle in that condition. Maybe I will go out later when the sun goes down some and take another.

ETA I suck at through the scope pics so that's my disclaimer. lol

IMG_4358.jpg

So you guys reinvented the LRTSi but with a lesser reticle and Chinese glass after telling the community for years that the LRTSi wouldn't sell because folks wanted more magnification.

Hmm...

Funny how that worked. And it costs basically the same but is chinesium instead of Japanese.

That Deploy MIL 2 reticle is actually very good for holds or precision with the center dot. Been using it in it's big brother the Match Pro ED 5-30x56 and I really like it for a tree reticle. I can see someone wanting a standard mil/moa crosshair only reticle but for the use of this scope on a match rifle or semi auto as pictured the tree works best.

View attachment 8500293
    Looks just like H59 without rapid ranging bars, etc. I like it

Japanese glass would be better I believe. I’ve got three. Bushnell Elites 3-12X44 LRHS 4.5-18X44 LRHSi and just delivery of a 1-6.5X24 ET1624sl second focal plane BTR-2 illuminated reticle. For £180 posted I had to give it a go. The glass is brilliant and will be put on an air rifle for my daughters. Might find its way onto a mini fix in the future.

If only Bushnell still made and sold this line of scope with the Japanese glass. Not European. Although as identified not European prices. The new turrets are nice in appearance and the aesthetics are pleasing. A direct comparison would be good.

Few things:

I'm back on here but in a limited capacity. I'll do what I can. There's a Reddit thread where I explain it a little more.

Country of origin isn't the be-all determining factor of a glass's performance. If that were the case, the DMR of old wouldn't be bested by the MPED. If country of origin was the sole determining factor, one Japanese scope vs another Japanese scope would be identical. It's all about the specification the manufacturer stipulated for a particular scope.

The G4 is a legit reticle, but it's been reserved for the Elite Tactical line.

CS stuff - Something's in the works. When I've got more info I'll share it.

Few things:

I'm back on here but in a limited capacity. I'll do what I can. There's a Reddit thread where I explain it a little more.

Country of origin isn't the be-all determining factor of a glass's performance. If that were the case, the DMR of old wouldn't be bested by the MPED. If country of origin was the sole determining factor, one Japanese scope vs another Japanese scope would be identical. It's all about the specification the manufacturer stipulated for a particular scope.

The G4 is a legit reticle, but it's been reserved for the Elite Tactical line.

CS stuff - Something's in the works. When I've got more info I'll share it.

Anyone with half a brain knows that Japanese build quality is far superior to Chinesium, it’s not even debatable.

Are you going to respond to the guy that can’t get ahold to you guys for his broken scope?

Anyone with half a brain knows that Japanese build quality is far superior to Chinesium, it’s not even debatable.

Are you going to respond to the guy that can’t get ahold to you guys for his broken scope?
    Yeah, when I've got a proper response from the right people to share.

The often-seen denigrating country of origin narratives seen say far more about a person's personal ethos than that of an actual product vs product comparison and the generalization isn't based in fact. A person's ethos are a person's beliefs and I certainly won't challenge or try to change anybody. It wasn't that long ago the same was said of things made in Japan.

Reactions: GO@HORNS
    For a little more $, get a Bush Elite Tactical, Made in Japan, built like a tank.

At that mag range and price point, I would just get a Vortex PST. Made in PI with Jap glass, best warranty in the business. $576 and OP always has coupons. Find a 15% off, and free ship, so low $500's to your door.

Yeah, when I've got a proper response from the right people to share.

The often-seen denigrating country of origin narratives seen say far more about a person's personal ethos than that of an actual product vs product comparison and the generalization isn't based in fact. A person's ethos are a person's beliefs and I certainly won't challenge or try to change anybody. It wasn't that long ago the same was said of things made in Japan.

You’re talking out of your ass. When is “not that long ago”? Because even going back to the 80’s and 90’s the flagship tasco’s were made in Japan while the cheaper lines were made in China and Taiwan and those Japanese models were much better and the china ones were pieces of shit. There’s many thousands of those Japanese tascos still working just fine with no service.

Even your company’s very own flagship line is built in Japan… I wonder why that is?

Chinesium scopes have certainly gotten better but so have Japanese scopes and they are not comparable on a build quality level.

Keep telling people what you think they need to hear to buy what you’re selling though.

Honestly, I don’t have a problem with Chinese optics. The Chinese aren’t stupid people, they can build very high quality items when spec’d and paid for. I’ve become a fan of Athlon stuff in general as they’re proven to track well and have fantastic glass and features for the price.

Now, that having been said, I too will agree that replacing the LRHS/LRTS lines with these new optics was a sad move on Bushnell’s part. A lighter-weight companion to the DMR/XRS lines with a 10y parallax is something I hear a lot of people ask for. Airguns and .22LR have become increasingly more popular, and people quite often look for lighter weight and closer parallax when glassing those. It’s a gap in the Bushy line, and I’m sad to see it.

My other big issue with these MPED optics is the reticle. Why must the G4 be “reserved” for the ET lineup? To me, these Deploy reticles are just “Horus Lite,” they’re way too busy and cluttered for a vast majority of uses. I loved USO’s MIL-GAP, and the G2, G3, and G4 that have followed it. Simple, straight-forward, and uncluttered. You have enough of a tree to be incredibly useful without having a freakin’ screen door covering up 1/3 of your view.

Maybe someday we’ll see another LRTS-type scope make a return, but I’m not sure it’ll be from Bushnell…

Honestly, I don’t have a problem with Chinese optics. The Chinese aren’t stupid people, they can build very high quality items when spec’d and paid for. I’ve become a fan of Athlon stuff in general as they’re proven to track well and have fantastic glass and features for the price.

I’ve got 3 Athlon Helos now and two Ares ETR’s on the way. My time with them is very limited as I just got them but so far I’m very impressed with them for the price. As I said Chinese scopes have come a long way, but the Japanese stuff is still better. Athlons flagship line is also Japanese.

The nice thing about Athlon though is you can actually get someone on the phone in the CS department and they don’t seem like they’re one investment firms board decision away from closing their doors like Bushnell. Their CS team is also tuned into what’s going on and doesn’t just give canned answers which is surprising these days.

Reactions: Basher
    @Team RCBS & Bushnell
    Bring back the 3-12 LRHS G2H.
    Make some modifications.. add illumination, increase the fov, could even go 2.5-15x42 or x50 add the turret zero stop/set the match pro has, I’d like .2mil windage marks but .5 is ok, keep it FFP and keep it in Japan… sell a metric ton of them. There’s countless threads on this mpvo some of us have been yelling for for years. You guys were so close with the LRHS line. Please bring it back!

Reactions: Scotch_egg
    I think if they brought back the weaver
    2-10x36 tactical. Just like it was. They could probably put it at a better price point, where they would have more prospective buyers. If they could produce the LRHS as it was and sell it in the 450-550 range I think they woukd sell ok. I think the weaver is better design honestly and don't think it gives up anything to the LRHS as a hunting scope exept a few ounces. 🤣🤣🤣

Reactions: stello1001
    I think if they brought back the weaver
    2-10x36 tactical. Just like it was. They could probably put it at a better price point, where they would have more prospective buyers. If they could produce the LRHS as it was and sell it in the 450-550 range I think they woukd sell ok. I think the weaver is better design honestly and don't think it gives up anything to the LRHS as a hunting scope exept a few ounces. 🤣🤣🤣
    I can guarantee you my weaver pales in comparison to my lrtsi at least.
    IMG_2759.jpeg

IMG_0738.jpeg

The weaver was a fine 250 scope a decade ago, I think the lrtsi is still a fine value at the 750-800 I would consider my worth maybe a decade later?

Edit: everywhere but weight, that weaver is feather light

Reactions: Scotch_egg
    I can guarantee you my weaver pales in comparison to my lrtsi at least.
    View attachment 8505132
    View attachment 8505134

The weaver was a fine 250 scope a decade ago, I think the lrtsi is still a fine value at the 750-800 I would consider my worth maybe a decade later?

Edit: everywhere but weight, that weaver is feather light
    That is not the weaver I am talking about. You can see a couple boxes for the weavers peaking in on the left side of the picture.

20240917_192751.jpg

That is not the weaver I am talking about. You can see a couple boxes for the weavers peaking in on the left side of the picture.

View attachment 8505162

Aw hell. You’re right, mines the 3-10 grand slam tactical and not the 2-10 super slam tactical

I am not sure how 2-10x36 Weaver tactical not 3-10x40 weaver junk.🤣🤣

I always really really liked those old weaver Tacticals. They were some fine dandy scopes. I never got to do a side by side comparison with any of my lrts/lrhs scopes but I do believe they fit the same application.

Those weavers were also Japanese glass made in LOW. Not sure that says much but I know the hide loves LOW scopes!

Now, that having been said, I too will agree that replacing the LRHS/LRTS lines with these new optics was a sad move on Bushnell’s part. A lighter-weight companion to the DMR/XRS lines with a 10y parallax is something I hear a lot of people ask for. Airguns and .22LR have become increasingly more popular, and people quite often look for lighter weight and closer parallax when glassing those. It’s a gap in the Bushy line, and I’m sad to see it.

My other big issue with these MPED optics is the reticle. Why must the G4 be “reserved” for the ET lineup? To me, these Deploy reticles are just “Horus Lite,” they’re way too busy and cluttered for a vast majority of uses. I loved USO’s MIL-GAP, and the G2, G3, and G4 that have followed it. Simple, straight-forward, and uncluttered. You have enough of a tree to be incredibly useful without having a freakin’ screen door covering up 1/3 of your view.

Maybe someday we’ll see another LRTS-type scope make a return, but I’m not sure it’ll be from Bushnell…
    Bingo!

I always really really liked those old weaver Tacticals. They were some fine dandy scopes. I never got to do a side by side comparison with any of my lrts/lrhs scopes but I do believe they fit the same application.

Those weavers were also Japanese glass made in LOW. Not sure that says much but I know the hide loves LOW scopes!
    I couldn't say for sure on where those old Weavers were made. It's been a long time since I've talked to a PM about them. It wouldn't surprise me if there were some made at another Japanese factory though. I seem to remember a handful of the Japanese COO glass from Bushnell & Weaver in that era being a mix of vendors.

The LRTS/LRHS thing always comes up. There's a vocal group out there for sure, always has been. Internally the case hasn't been sold though. I personally wouldn't hold my breath on that changing anytime soon, but you never know.

I have one of the old Weaver V16 scopes, and it is pretty solid. I have taken it out to 500 yards on a bolt 223.

It’s is an old Jap version made by LOW iffin I remember right. Fine little scope
    IMG_6697.jpeg