new 338 bullets

Re: new 338 bullets

my factory bbl Savage 110 FCP-HS with Lapua brass and 300 Scenars start to show pressure at 90 grs H1000 at 2730,,I have been shooting 88 grs at 2675 but I think to reduce stress on the 3$ brass I am gonna back down to 86.5-87 grs and hope to stay above 2600..

with that info do you still think I could get 3,000 FPS with the 250`s,,I know try and see but as high as this crap cost I like to study up all I can before layin out half a days pay for 100 bullets.

Midway had em for about an hour. Tryed them out yesterday, Need to play a little more with them, this is out of my 28" 338Edge (Chrono-35P). The BC isn't as good on these as I expected though.
2012-03-20_11-59-07_159.jpg

Guns1330.jpg

Guns1331.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scottx88</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Midway had em for about an hour. Tryed them out yesterday, Need to play a little more with them, this is out of my 28" 338Edge (Chrono-35P). The BC isn't as good on these as I expected though.
2012-03-20_11-59-07_159.jpg

Guns1330.jpg

Guns1331.jpg
</div></div>

I looked at about 8 different places online and everyone is sold out of the Nosler 300gr Accubonds- Midway is showing a June 4th availability date.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cali_tz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Scotx88, can you decipher your chron readouts...it's not obvious to me what's going on there. </div></div>

First five are the individual shots,

Next are the high velocity, low velocity, extreme spread, ave, and standard deviation.

A perfect example of why not to go in half grain increments in a case that size.....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cambiste1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hello to all. What is the approximate cost per round to load .338LM using the higher BC 300gr bullets? </div></div>

I figured this up using Lapua brass and figuring on it lasting 5 cycles.

300 Lapua Scenar .65
Fed 215 primer .035
H1000 .40
Lapua brass prorated to last 5 times .45

rounded off it is very close to 1.50 $ a shot.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: normbal</div><div class="ubbcode-body">"Lapua brass prorated to last 5 times .45

rounded off it is very close to 1.50 $ a shot."

Sounds good, but if you're annealing the brass properly, you may hit 10 loads or MORE. I've read of guys getting 15, but I think that's pushing it.</div></div>

Agree

The life of brass annealed goes a long ways even if pushed hard, the processed used annealing dictates the time frame.

When buying in bulk and watching sales you can get down to the $1.00 to $1.13 range.

Either way it beats the heck out of buying factory Lapua loads

still at $1.25 a round, let's say, the 338LM shooting business is PRICEY. However, compared to sending $6 down the barrel when you first get your 338LM rifle to the range, reloading seems like a bargain.

Now considering that my reloading kit rounded out to $1000 ... and the savings per round is say 4.50 (not including our labor) then the pay back period is about 220 rounds or so. I have definitely gone past that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cali_tz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">still at $1.25 a round, let's say, the 338LM shooting business is PRICEY. However, compared to sending $6 down the barrel when you first get your 338LM rifle to the range, reloading seems like a bargain.

Now considering that my reloading kit rounded out to $1000 ... and the savings per round is say 4.50 (not including our labor) then the pay back period is about 220 rounds or so. I have definitely gone past that. </div></div>

I used to have a Dillon RL550B back when I shot sub guns a lot. Made over 30,000 rds on that press, then I got into other kinds of shooting too and wanted something for a little higher volume. This is an XL650 with a case feeder. Each hash mark is a thousand rounds. For some weird reason the counter stuck turning over from 4 to 5 (actually have about 54 thousand rounds through this press, but I only count completed rounds. Sometimes I use it just for sizing or priming or depriming before tumbling, so the counter's a little higher).

It's definitely brought the price of ammo down.

f49e91df.jpg