New 8.6 Blackout Build

Stugots

Private
Minuteman
Mar 13, 2014
I have begun my search for components for a new 8.6 Blackout build and am looking for recommendations for a barrel blank, 1 in 3 twist, 16" MTU, M24, heavy Palma contour etc. (weight of this barrel will not be a concern.) Can you recommend a barrel mfgr that makes blanks for these rough parameters? I'm also in search of a reputable gunsmith with history of machining bolt action builds in this caliber. I will be shooting this rifle suppressed (have a TBAC 338 Ultra I expect to get out of jail soon.) I will also be reloading for this caliber. Primary use will be shooting off a bipod w/rear bag with a high degree of accuracy in mind. Suggestions?

Where are you located?
Mine wears a Faxon barrel, which some here will tell you Faxon 8.6 barrels all suck - but that hasn't been my experience. Are you shooting subs and/or supers?
And the 338 Utra is a good can, I have been very happy with the results of my little 8.6 project.
8.6BLKO.jpg

I'm located in Minnesota. Right now, I only plan on shooting subs, but have to admit the thought of shooting supers certainly does interest me. I know if that's the case, I will probably be in trouble with the 1 in twist though. Another thought is a 1 in 6.5 twist for the ability to shoot both, but I know I would lose the ability to shoot the heaviest .338 Cal bullets subsonic...

I have begun my search for components for a new 8.6 Blackout build and am looking for recommendations for a barrel blank, 1 in 3 twist, 16" MTU, M24, heavy Palma contour etc. (weight of this barrel will not be a concern.) Can you recommend a barrel mfgr that makes blanks for these rough parameters? I'm also in search of a reputable gunsmith with history of machining bolt action builds in this caliber. I will be shooting this rifle suppressed (have a TBAC 338 Ultra I expect to get out of jail soon.) I will also be reloading for this caliber. Primary use will be shooting off a bipod w/rear bag with a high degree of accuracy in mind. Suggestions?
MOS-TEK is who I was going to go with but couldn't justify the higher cost than a Faxon barrel for my 8.6BLK build. I may down the road buy one from them...but for now, I have an 8" Faxon barrel and will begin assembly soon (awaiting Cerakote completion).

MOS-TEK is who I was going to go with but couldn't justify the higher cost than a Faxon barrel for my 8.6BLK build. I may down the road buy one from them...but for now, I have an 8" Faxon barrel and will begin assembly soon (awaiting Cerakote completion).
I considered both Mos-Tek and Faxon but did not like what I found after researching each. I am leaning towards higher end barrel manufactures right now. (Krieger, Bartlein, Douglas, Hart etc.) and am now more strongly considering a 1 in 6.5" twist as a bit of a compromise. I have pretty well decided on a Zermatt Arms Original action, (but have not placed an order for) and a Trigger Tech Diamond trigger but that's about it so far. An outside contender for an action is a Mac Bros EVO2 stainless steel action that looks interesting.

Last edited: