new action recommendations

toxic

Private
Minuteman
Jun 8, 2014
Mansfield, OH
So I'm looking to get another custom action and cant decide what to get. I think I'd prefer a barreled action, but I'm open and capable of building myself as well. I had a gen 1 nucleus barreled action from PVA and I loved it, but it was my first and only custom action. I also suffered from the occasional light strike, changed to the heavier spring but sold it before I could shoot it again. Also unsure on the recommended builder. I think I have it narrowed down to a Bighorn Origin or an ARC Nucleus or Archimedes. Budget is 2k for the action and barrel. Would like 2 stage trigger (triggertech?) as well but that doesn't necessarily have to fall under the 2k. Right now I think I've got it narrowed down to a PVA built Origin. But been looking at Altus and Straight Jacket armory as well. Not found anything to beat the price of PVAs offering though. I really like the nucleus and Archimedes but not sure how I'd like the pivoting bolt on the Archimedes. and is the light strike issues gone with the gen 2 nucleus? Going to be a 26" 6.5 CM and something like an MTU/M24/Heavy palma/ proof comp, profile, in a KRG chassis most likely.

Well, while the Archimedes are supposed to be great- I haven’t had a chance to finger fuck one yet. Same with the Nucs, although the light strikes seem to have been solved from what I’ve heard.
I just ordered a Barnard SMS and it’s absolutely fantastic. One of the smoothest actions I’ve ver felt, a 60* throw, and a bolt that’s very easy to disassemble in the field. And they’re known in the F Class world to be incredibly accurate actions.

Triggertech seems to be having issues right now, but they also seem to be fixing the issues when they arise. The BnA Tacsport pros are supposed to be great and that’s what I’m going with on the Barnard.

I use Whidden Gunworks for all of my gunsmithjng needs, and they’ve been fantastic to work with.

So I'm looking to get another custom action and cant decide what to get. I think I'd prefer a barreled action, but I'm open and capable of building myself as well. I had a gen 1 nucleus barreled action from PVA and I loved it, but it was my first and only custom action. I also suffered from the occasional light strike, changed to the heavier spring but sold it before I could shoot it again. Also unsure on the recommended builder. I think I have it narrowed down to a Bighorn Origin or an ARC Nucleus or Archimedes. Budget is 2k for the action and barrel. Would like 2 stage trigger (triggertech?) as well but that doesn't necessarily have to fall under the 2k. Right now I think I've got it narrowed down to a PVA built Origin. But been looking at Altus and Straight Jacket armory as well. Not found anything to beat the price of PVAs offering though. I really like the nucleus and Archimedes but not sure how I'd like the pivoting bolt on the Archimedes. and is the light strike issues gone with the gen 2 nucleus? Going to be a 26" 6.5 CM and something like an MTU/M24/Heavy palma/ proof comp, profile, in a KRG chassis most likely.

Based on my admittedly not calibrated fingerfucking on the bare action I can pick up on Monday (fuck California), the Archimedes bolt feels awesome. If it’s just a light extraction you need, the bolt handle doesn’t need to pivot; if it’s a heavy extraction, the pivot is solid and snaps back into place as soon as the bolt is free.

My Gen 1 Nuke that I bought a few weeks before the Gen 2 announcement is totally fine and snappy with a triggertech trigger. Speaking of which, the 2-stage Diamond feels amazing.

I have a barrel coming from LRI in a few days. You might need a slightly flexible budget for a nucleus prefit barrel plus an Archimedes.

Alternatively, why not just buy the Nucleus rifle from ARC? 2.5k for the nucleus action, chassis, and trigger means you get the barrel for free. If you don’t like the chassis I’d be surprised if it lasted a couple days on the PX.

(Aesthetically, the chassis isn’t the most pleasing, but it feels phenomenal.)

Reactions: toxic
An early Nucleus is also the only custom bolt action I've owned. Only issues I've had were self-inflicted with trigger tuning. That said, I've got my eyes on a TL3. A TL3 and a button-rifled prefit would be right at $2k.

I went through something similar last year for my PRS rifle. I am super happy with the build/quality and the price was great.

Bighorn Origin - Your looking at $825.

I then went to Northland Shooting Supply for the rest of the barreled action parts. This included a Criterion 26"threaded barrel, Barrel Nut, Barrel Nut wrench, NSS Action Wrench and Forester Go and No Go Gauges. Everything in total shipped was $587.

Picked up a Triggertech Special for $167 from G4G and KRG Bravo again from Brownells on sale for $320. Hellfire muzzle brake for $150 from brownells w/ coupon code.

My full rifle (no rings, optic, bipod) was basically $2000 to my door and that included all the tools (action wrench, barrel nut wrench, gauges). You can obviously swap out/upgrade the KRG/Triggertech as needed. To me though the above parts were the best performance per dollar spent I could find. You can obviously get better quality/function etc. but you will be spending more and getting less practical return on your investment in my opinion. When I miss its not my rifle thats for sure.

My 2 cents for what its worth...

Last edited:
For sure, so many good budget actions these days. I think Id like the Archimedes, now to find a barreled action or a top notch pre-fit barrel.
I'm leaning towards a nucleus rifle if I go ARC... I might be the minority but I think the chassis looks cool. That being said Zermatts reputation and how quickly an Origin will sell used if I want to move onto something else is a huge selling point as well.

On a side note as much as I like the Nucleus rifle and think it's a great deal, ARC valuing their criterion barrel at 550 seems expensive to me. Unless I'm mistaken, most of their prefits sell for 300-400...

I agree the nucleus rifle is a pretty good deal, but I don't care for the looks of the xylo chassis, and I want a 2 stage triggertech diamond or special. So those would have to be sold or traded. And I had a NSS Remage criterion on an untouched 700, it was definitely an improvement over the sps varmint barrel that it came with but, I wasn't super impressed with it. Now the PVA button rifled rock creek on my gen 1 nucleus was a tack driver and very fast. My 147 load was 2985 avg with RL26.

When Brownells started selling the Origin, it was not excluded from their 10% off everything sales. Now it is, so the days of a $750 Origin are over. It’s also not discounted for law enforcement on their website. A few lucky guys slid in under the wire before Brownells figured it out.

I agree the nucleus rifle is a pretty good deal, but I don't care for the looks of the xylo chassis, and I want a 2 stage triggertech diamond or special. So those would have to be sold or traded. And I had a NSS Remage criterion on an untouched 700, it was definitely an improvement over the sps varmint barrel that it came with but, I wasn't super impressed with it. Now the PVA button rifled rock creek on my gen 1 nucleus was a tack driver and very fast. My 147 load was 2985 avg with RL26.
Yeah, hence my post above, we're thinking similarly.

I've got a hankering for a PVA barrel as well. I've never had one and everyone loves them.

I get the xylo isn't everyones cup of tea, if I buy one I hope it holds its value in case I sell it at one point... But the grip and the overall functionality look good to me. I pefer my TRG grip to my KRG chassis's and my MPA's... I think I'll get along well with that grip.

Decisions, decisions...

Can you send a link to this offer?

Thanks

It was their 10% off coupon which brought it with insurance to $745.20 shipped. However per KYAggie it looks like its now excluded from their sales (not that they do a lot now anyway given the market haha). I bought this back in March so not sure when/what changed.

Now please don't go gettin' angry with Brownells over the coupon code. Seems like it might have been a mistake anyway. Your action is worth $825 all day every day. I just missed out on the early bird pricing and brownells gave me a second chance.

P.S....can you send me a free hat? (y)

Reactions: Zermatt Arms
It was their 10% off coupon which brought it with insurance to $745.20 shipped. However per KYAggie it looks like its now excluded from their sales (not that they do a lot now anyway given the market haha). I bought this back in March so not sure when/what changed.

Now please don't go gettin' angry with Brownells over the coupon code. Seems like it might have been a mistake anyway. Your action is worth $825 all day every day. I just missed out on the early bird pricing and brownells gave me a second chance.

P.S....can you send me a free hat? (y)
Ok, thanks! We just have to keep a good watch on those prices. MAP is established for a reason and we have to enforce it.

I have plenty of time to decide still, but I keep going back and forth with all 3. I really liked the nucleus I had, but not sure I like the gen 2 changes (gold bolt stop release thing being one), especially if the 19# spring fixes the light strikes with the gen 1. I like the Archimedes but it might be a bit expensive and still not sure how the pivoting bolt is. I like the Origin for the price and features, and not sure there is any negatives to it in my mind, other than being a 2 lug action. Which isn't a negative though. Who knows, when the time comes I may pick something completely different, there is so many good budget actions right now I don't know if someone could choose a bad one. I think I'd like to stick with an action that is CRF, mechanical ejection, and 3 lug (if possible). There's a few more I really like as well, but they are out of budget, one being the Terminus Zeus.

I have plenty of time to decide still, but I keep going back and forth with all 3. I really liked the nucleus I had, but not sure I like the gen 2 changes (gold bolt stop release thing being one), especially if the 19# spring fixes the light strikes with the gen 1. I like the Archimedes but it might be a bit expensive and still not sure how the pivoting bolt is. I like the Origin for the price and features, and not sure there is any negatives to it in my mind, other than being a 2 lug action. Which isn't a negative though. Who knows, when the time comes I may pick something completely different, there is so many good budget actions right now I don't know if someone could choose a bad one. I think I'd like to stick with an action that is CRF, mechanical ejection, and 3 lug (if possible). There's a few more I really like as well, but they are out of budget, one being the Terminus Zeus.

If you’re not reloading ammo such that you get sticky cases, you probably don’t lose anything going from the Archimedes to the Nucleus. Aside from some fanciness that you might not like but is awesome to me. Also the integrated lug.

Have you looked at the gap production rifle? If had to do it over I would have bought it. It is a really nice gun i saw one in person and it shoots well

If you’re not reloading ammo such that you get sticky cases, you probably don’t lose anything going from the Archimedes to the Nucleus. Aside from some fanciness that you might not like but is awesome to me. Also the integrated lug.
I've been over 3k fps with the 147 eldm and RL26 in my gen 1 nuke in 6.5 CM and never had a sticky bolt or even any signs of excessive pressure. Honestly pretty crazy imo, but I've not had even the slightest sign of pressure in that rifle.
OP is looking for CRF, mechanical ejector and prefers a 3 lug bolt.
First 2 are definite wants, the 2 vs 3 lug is undecided. I liked the 3 lug in the nuke so that's why I said I'd like another 3 lug. Not required but as you said, its preferred I think.

Also what about the Impact 737r? Altus has a barreled action for 2500, out of budget but maybe its worth it over the others?