• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Gunsmithing New Barrel?

rrflyer

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 7, 2008
DFW, TX
Hey guys I was lucky enough to win half off a Mike Rock Barrel.

Im pretty new to this stuff but it would replace the factory tube on my 700P which has about 500 rounds down it. Accuracy has been very good thus far so I dont need to replace it.

I've been contemplating cutting down the tube to 22 and having a Vias break installed on it. Itd run me a couple hundred bucks to have this done.

So basically what do you think I should do. Sell the certificate and us the cash towards the chop/break or are custom barrels that much better that its worth sinking the dollars into it?

Also does anyone know if the M24/m40 contour will fit into a HS precision stock?

Re: New Barrel?

I would hold the new barrel until the current tube had a higher count if it were me. But it isn't me.

Buy the barrel and hold on to it. Prices have had a way of going up when you don't think about it. And most gift certificates have an expiration date.

That should give you some time to decide what you want done.

Good luck.

Re: New Barrel?

That factory tube will last 5k rounds, so you're ten percent of the way there.
smile.gif

Unless you're shooting a .300 WM in your 700P, I'm totally no-go on the brake idea. (And it's Vais, and I think Ron Bartlett is the gent who bought the rights to that brand after George Vais decided to sell the business and move to Greece or wherever he went. Then he came back, and started competing against Ron for rights to his name, etc. which I thought was a BS thing to do... but I digress).

As to a heavy barrel contour fitting into an H-S Precision stock, not to worry. It's a simple thing, if not fast, to remove material from the barrel channel. Quite a bit easier than trying to do the same on a McMillan stock for sure (which is harder/tougher material).

My advice: buy a barrel, like Victor says, and put it on a shelf for the day when you will rebarrel. Even if you never do, the new barrel is like money in the bank -- a bank that doesn't go bust.