• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

New Build Caliber

JCH

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 10, 2008
Oklahoma City, OK
I have a 7mm Mag and a 243AI being built at the moment (the ackley is gonna be a very light predator rifle #3 barrel contour), I am trying to decide on a caliber to do most of my shooting. I really don't like the 308, I have a 243 bolt face that will be used on the build. I had originally thought about a second 243AI with a #6 contour.

The thing i am most worried about is barrel life. I am looking for advice on a caliber like an Ackley that has long brass life as well...

Looking for advice and opinions. What caliber is recommended?

Re: New Build Caliber

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Check out the 6.5 Creedmoor.</div></div>

Thats another one I considered too...

I have built rifles in both the 260 and 6.5x47L. The Lapua seemed to be a bit more accurate. I have heard the Lapua has better barrel life although I haven't reached that point in my rifles yet. Brass is better with the Lapua. No experience with the Creedmoor but I hear thats a great cal also. I don't think you can go wrong with any of the three. I would go with the Lapua based on the barrel life and its cheaper to reload.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Check out the 6.5 Creedmoor.</div></div>

wow i really like what I am reading about the Creedmoor.

Problem with the Lapua is the small rifle primers...nearly impossible to find.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: longrange****</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How about looking at the 6mm Crusader....dont know what your time line is like, but if you got time to hear about the findings on this thing it might be worth considering....

6mm Crusader:
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1014170&page=1</div></div>

i read through that entire post on a previous thread about 243 barrel life. Impressive...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JCH</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: longrange****</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How about looking at the 6mm Crusader....dont know what your time line is like, but if you got time to hear about the findings on this thing it might be worth considering....

6mm Crusader:
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1014170&page=1</div></div>

i read through that entire post on a previous thread about 243 barrel life. Impressive...</div></div>

Thats kinda what I thought too....I was going to do a switch barrel 6BR Norma/6.5x47Lapua but after the prices going sky high for the 6.5 Ive been thinking maybe going another rout...which sucks because Ive fired the 6.5x47 and LOVE it...damn thing is stupid accurate...just expensive....

If I could get a reamer for that thing and it is as good as thought, I may cut a chamber for it and buy a set of conventional dies and have those cut too....