• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

New Build Questions and Recs

Shootermagavin

Private
Minuteman
Jan 24, 2024
Dallas
So I just put together a RimX 22lr build on an MDT Elite Chasis and a prefit barrel.. and now I want to put together something in 6.5...

A few questions on a 6.5 build;

Looking to go with a bit more of a traditional stock rather than the full on chasis; McMillan still make stocks that are worthwhile?
Adjustable LOP and comb with a pic rail underneath looks quite nice for the McMillan A-5 and price point is ~$650 msrp.

Is there a quality action available for ~$500-700? Or will it pale in comparison to a ~$1200 action? Open to recommendations here. Needs to have a left handed variant available.

Barrel.. I only have experience with a pre-fit barrel; I'm not sure exactly what goes into the fitting process. If pre-fit is the only way a non-gunsmith like myself can get it together I presume I'll have options limited or paired to what action I'm to get; Anything wrong with an M24 profile? Looks like velocity tops out at a 24'' barrel length?

$500-700 is very limiting. In that price range you basically just have MacBros Evo, or something used.

If you increase your price to $1k, that opens up options like Zermatt Origin, ARC CDG, BAT Igniter and a few others.

McMillan makes decent stocks if that's what you are looking for. But with hardware they will be over $1k. And it will require needing from a gunsmith.

M24 profile is a solid target shooting profile without getting too carried away with weight. Pre-fit is the way to go if you are going to assemble yourself. You will need a barrel vice and an action wrench as well to assemble.

Last edited:
Looks like velocity tops out at a 24'' barrel length?
that's not how this works on centerfire. the longer the barrel, the more velocity. most people like 28" barrels because that's what the blanks come in so it's just free metal if you don't mind the weight.
32+ is also somewhat common but the returns are less significant for the cost.
I really recommend a 28" barrel, or whatever your blank naturally finishes to, have your smith slug it.

I highly recommend Foundation. the fit is exceptional, no gunsmithing/bedding required.
this one is the Samson in dark distressed
they use micarta so it's like wood but better. great for target stocks, imo. Heavier than carbon fiber, probably a little heavier than fiberglass.
this was like adult Legos, I ordered all this stuff to my door apart from the action, and torqued it together myself. very easy.

Attachments

• 20240913_205718.jpg
    20240913_205718.jpg
    768.2 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
that's not how this works on centerfire. the longer the barrel, the more velocity. most people like 28" barrels because that's what the blanks come in so it's just free metal if you don't mind the weight.
32+ is also somewhat common but the returns are less significant for the cost.
I really recommend a 28" barrel, or whatever your blank naturally finishes to, have your smith slug it.

What he said about the length. The round was developed around a 28" barrel. I have been shooting it since early 2008 and have always had 28" barrels. I would not go under 26" personally as you gain nothing and give up free velocity.

Velocity, does not top out at 24" in the 6.5 CM.
M24 is a heavy profile. How much weight are you willing to put up with.
One can order 31" barrels in 6.5 and cut 1" off the muzzle for 30" barrel. Or special order longer ones.
Depends on what you want to do with the build.
Prefits are available for most common actions, when utilizing a barrel nut...a cheaper way to go.
Barrel to action solid fit, no barrel nut, is more limited with more expensive actions that hold tolerences very tight.
But have been problematic from time to time...like the bolt won't close on the go gauge.
Numerous stocks are available for barrel profiles, but alot if them also weigh a lot, adding to the overall weight of the rifle.
Stock bedding skills, will be necessary on many, making the aluminum chassis the easier choice.

IMO, I think 26" is a nice balance for length versus velocity in a 6.5 Creedmoor.

If you want a little bit of free velocity and don't mind the length, by all means go 28". I've actually gone the other way, to 24" on my 6.5 creedmoor barrels. A nicer length if shooting suppressed, and velocities are still great.