New from KY

Jsmith410

Private
Minuteman
Dec 10, 2017
KY
Just wanted to introduce myself. I’ve had an account for a while but just been observing. I just moved to KY fro NC. Very new to any long range shooting. I look forward to learning.

I am in Lexington. I was born and raised in NC so I’ve been spoiled with a lot of access to land to hunt and shoot. There are a lot of indoor ranges here but it seems there are limited options for outdoor ranges. Thanks for the warm welcome.

Eric, I heard there is a small range near Frankfort which is only 30-40 min from me. Have you been there by chance?

Yes. What you want to look for is Franklin County Sportsmens Club on Facebook or HERE. It is an actual club, and memberships is happening now thru the 27th of Feb. Though you can join any Wednesday night or during a monthly meeting so I understand. It is $160 for dues the first year, after that as long as you renew within the time frame the dues are $80 after that. Memberships run Jan to Dec. You have to go to the club to get a membership, which is available right now every Wednesday (not today due to weather) from 2-7pm approximately OR on Saturdays from 9am to 4pm. Meetings are the first Friday of every month. You do not have to attend, most members only pay dues fro range time. The rifle range only goes out to 130 yards though, they shoot trap every Wednesday. It is a nice outdoor place and it is kept up real nice. It is about the cheapest option around here. Anderson County has a club also that is great, but it does cost more, and I think they have a cap on members which makes it harder to get in.

Yes. What you want to look for is Franklin County Sportsmens Club on Facebook or HERE. It is an actual club, and memberships is happening now thru the 27th of Feb. Though you can join any Wednesday night or during a monthly meeting so I understand. It is $160 for dues the first year, after that as long as you renew within the time frame the dues are $80 after that. Memberships run Jan to Dec. You have to go to the club to get a membership, which is available right now every Wednesday (not today due to weather) from 2-7pm approximately OR on Saturdays from 9am to 4pm. Meetings are the first Friday of every month. You do not have to attend, most members only pay dues fro range time. The rifle range only goes out to 130 yards though, they shoot trap every Wednesday. It is a nice outdoor place and it is kept up real nice. It is about the cheapest option around here. Anderson County has a club also that is great, but it does cost more, and I think they have a cap on members which makes it harder to get in.

Thanks for the info Eric. I will have to look into it. I was trying to find something with a little longer rifle range. I may go check out the Bluegrass Sportsman's League.

So it would probably be 1.5-2 hrs from you, but if I remember correctly, Ft. Knox has a 1K range. I doubt they allow civilians in for target practice, but they are probably still running NRA sanctioned matches there. You would need to do some Google work to find anything out, but the Kentucky State Rifle and Pistol Association (KYSRPA) would probably be at the center of that. Even if you aren't wanting to jump right into that, they might be able to put you on some other places to shoot. Sorry I can't be more help, I haven't lived there in years, and I am in the same boat in southern Indiana. Sometimes it's easier to make a friend out of a farmer with land, than it is to find 400+yard range around here.

Josh

Reactions: Jsmith410
So it would probably be 1.5-2 hrs from you, but if I remember correctly, Ft. Knox has a 1K range. I doubt they allow civilians in for target practice, but they are probably still running NRA sanctioned matches there. You would need to do some Google work to find anything out, but the Kentucky State Rifle and Pistol Association (KYSRPA) would probably be at the center of that. Even if you aren't wanting to jump right into that, they might be able to put you on some other places to shoot. Sorry I can't be more help, I haven't lived there in years, and I am in the same boat in southern Indiana. Sometimes it's easier to make a friend out of a farmer with land, than it is to find 400+yard range around here.

Josh
I am on ft Knox and we don’t even have a privately owned weapons range here anymore.

Thanks for the info Eric. I will have to look into it. I was trying to find something with a little longer rifle range. I may go check out the Bluegrass Sportsman's League.
Another good choice. Another thing to look into and keep in mind is to look at Knob Creek near Louisville. Twice a year they have a nice machine gun shoot also. Machine Gun Shoot HERE Home Page HERE

Reactions: Jsmith410