• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

New guy check in with 10pc

762DMR

Private
Minuteman
Apr 9, 2011
north AZ
Hi All,Just picked up a 10pc in .308 and have a few questions.What velocity should I get using varget and 178amax on the upper end with the 20" barrel?Also what host do you guys use for posting pics when I get her done!Thanks, Rob 

Re: New guy check in with 10pc

photobucket will be your best bet with the photos. You'd also be better off finding a chrono locally as differant barrels/powders/environmental conditions will affect your velocity. My 10pc loves 168 AMAXs

Thanks Sheepdog,
I have a chrono, just waiting on parts to put the rifle together! I was looking for velocity to run on Hornady's ballistic calc. Whats your load data for the 168's?
Thanks for the help!

My 10PC wouldn't group the 178 A Max very well but really liked 175 SMK's with 43.5 gr of Varget seated to 2.81 oal.

YMMV

Welcome and congrats on the new rifle. If it shoots as well as mine and some of the other savage rifles on here you will be more than pleased. Some guys have had a hard time getting those 178s grouping well. Try the 175 SMKs. I have also used the 155 A-max with good results.

Thanks Guys!
I will be using my M1A load of 43g W748 and 168smk to break in and fire form some brass. I will order some 168amax and 175smk to work up my varget load.
Next question, I have been using NATO Austrailian headstamped AFF brass for my M1A and L1A1. This is my first atempt with a bolty but I built,load and shoot sub moa with my AR variants.
What do you think about the AFF brass and the bolt action for sub moa loads?
Thanks again for your replies.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tip2oo3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">168AMAX
44.0gr Varget
WIN or Hornady Brass
WLR Primers
OAL 2.80 </div></div>

That sounds like a nice recipe...

DK

I have had good results with Savage 10 PC, shoots 3/4 MOA pretty much all day and sometimes groups dip below 1/2 MOA.

One thing to note is that my 10 PC has a really short throat so 175s get loaded kind of short.

For 168gr bullets I use this recipe

168gr SMK
42gr Varget
Hornady Brass
CCI BR2 Primers
2.800 COAL
AVG 2450 fps

For 175's

175gr SMK
44.5 Varget
Lapua Brass
CCI BR2 Primers