• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

New guy from CA

Josh Umsted

Private
Minuteman
Sep 16, 2024
Ca
I’m Josh. 58. Life long shooter. Retired, traveling in a motor home, shooting a lot.

Learned of NRL Hunter last spring and had to try it. Equipment selection was rushed. Research was minimal. Didn’t know what I didn’t know. Made it happen anyway. Been learning ever since and look forward to trying again soon.

Gun store had a Remington 700 .308 on sale. Picked it up a couple days before hitting the road on a 4 month trip to wherever. Shot it once. Visited a friend in Bishop. Couldn’t hit squat. Couldn’t easily find parts to convert to external magazine. Ordered a pos magpul hunter on Amazon, then hit the road toward Price, stopping at cableas fora trigger tech, a couple mags and some ammo. No 168 gn federal, so went with 175.

Spent two days in price working on my dope to 1000. First time shooting past 200. No chrono. Used ballistic data from the ammo box and got surprisingly close, but struggled past 600 yards. Recoil management was a foreign concept at that point and of course couldn’t see my misses.

Match day. Zero confidence in the rifle. First stage. Couldn’t find the targets. Bad deal. I was in over my head. Was still able to hit most of the targets I found, which was fun. RM helped me find and hit the 800 yard target. The rifle seemed to group well at that distance and elevation was right, so that’s progress.

Thought the community was super friendly and helpful. Aaron Martin was on the squad before me and offered great tips, and and snacks. Didn’t realize until hearing him on the MDS podcast weeks later that he’s kind of a big deal. Cool guy.

Have shot quite a bit since then. The rifle doesn’t group. It’s fine because the plan was to upgrade one piece at a time. Oryx is arriving tomorrow. Pretty much set on a 6.5 cm Criterion. That and an adequate backpack should get me there.

See ya at the range