• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

New guy from DFW, TX Area

Architeuthis

Private
Minuteman
Sep 3, 2024
Keller, TX
Been a hunter for most of my 55 years on this planet. Started to become interested in becoming proficient in long range shooting a few years ago based on some of the wide open places I hunt in West Texas and found that I was really lacking in the knowledge and confidence to take animals ethically at anything much over 400 yards. I've been reading the Hide for quite some time and have enjoyed the amount of good information I've read over the years, but reading, comprehending and working on it by yourself only gets you so far so fast. So in the last year I've been working with a really superb instructor and It's been a game changer. This past year I've had a couple rifles worked on by a gunsmith for long range shooting purposes, one target the other hunting, however I'd like to find a high quality gunsmith that is local instead of 3 hours away. So if anyone has recommendations for a smith in the Dallas/Fort Worth area (within 100 miles), I'm all ears.

Thanks for having me onboard!

My high school friend sometimes visits his father in west Texas. We need to go sometime before we get too old. His family out there has access to serious acreage with mule deer.

TPWD has a drawing for mule deer hunts in the Caprock Canyon SP. They advise being able to shoot at least 200 yards. It is only scrub brush.

Reactions: Architeuthis
My high school friend sometimes visits his father in west Texas. We need to go sometime before we get too old. His family out there has access to serious acreage with mule deer.

TPWD has a drawing for mule deer hunts in the Caprock Canyon SP. They advise being able to shoot at least 200 yards. It is only scrub brush.
I actually have entered for that hunt a few times but sadly, not drawn. I’m down for anything almost anytime. So shoot me a pm and we’ll work on a plan.

Alamo Precision
I spoke with Vic a couple of days ago and he invited me and my shooting instructor over for a tour of the Alamo shop. Instructor looking for a few rifles with exact same setup for use with clients. Super nice guys and Vic suggested I start shooting matches and can get me oriented with the circuit. Super awesome guys!

Reactions: Ronws
Hard to go wrong at Alamo, Robert and his staff are great. I have had them do a fair amount of work and sent several friends to them and they also have all been pleased.

I actually have entered for that hunt a few times but sadly, not drawn. I’m down for anything almost anytime. So shoot me a pm and we’ll work on a plan.
May do that some time. I live about 2 towns away from Lake Texoma. So, it is quite a hike. But my boss has hunted in Christoval a few times.

He used a .300 WM on these two but my favorite is the Aoudad, on the left.

1725737013721.jpeg

.25-06 for these fellers.
1725737135876.jpeg

1725737197322.jpeg

May do that some time. I live about 2 towns away from Lake Texoma. So, it is quite a hike. But my boss has hunted in Christoval a few times.

He used a .300 WM on these two but my favorite is the Aoudad, on the left.

View attachment 8496619

.25-06 for these fellers.
View attachment 8496621

View attachment 8496622
I’m in NE Tarrant Co so I’m not far from you. Have a dove club lease in Denton/Grayson county and duck hunt frequently along the Red River.

Reactions: Stevo86 and Ronws
I’m in NE Tarrant Co so I’m not far from you. Have a dove club lease in Denton/Grayson county and duck hunt frequently along the Red River.
Cool beans, we may have to. Right now, I cannot afford leases so I hunt the Caddo Natl Grasslands WMA. I was going to the Bois Darc unit but lately, I have been trying the Ladonia Unit.

Have you looked at S&S Precision in Denton?

They’ve done quite a few builds that have won national championships and even international championships.

They are also seriously into hunting.

I'm about 15 minutes west of DFW airport, just off 114.

I'd be curious who the instructor is, and what your favorite rifle ranges are in the area.
I pass you most mornings that I'm heading out to duck hunt, in that case.
Instructor is Remington Parker, Dallas Sniper Training, and the range he mostly works out of is ETTS (Extreme Tactical Training Solutions) down near Waxahatchie/Maypearl. 1070 yards on long range. Good range with tons of "bays" or areas to work on different styles of training from pistol, AR, tactical, etc. and they hold a bunch of different discipline type matches.

For close to the home In NE Tarrant County, I'll typically go to Quail Creek Range for sight in, etc. since it's max distance is just 100 yds.
https://www.quailcreekrange.com/

I use Elm Fork range occasionally for rifle but mostly sporting clays. Nice setup all around but no long range rifle, 100 yds.

Closer to home long range: Fossil Pointe outside of Decatur is a nice and they do have stand alone long distance range that's 250 to 800 yards.

Out near Mingus, TX is Tac Pro and they have a 1000 yd range. I've not shot there but have had pretty decent feedback from a few people, so looking forward to heading there someday soon just to check it out for myself.

Hope this helps!

Have you looked at S&S Precision in Denton?

They’ve done quite a few builds that have won national championships and even international championships.

They are also seriously into hunting.
I'll have to check those guys out. I lived in Denton way back when and it's just a quick drive up 377 for me now.
Thanks for the heads up!

I pass you most mornings that I'm heading out to duck hunt, in that case.
Instructor is Remington Parker, Dallas Sniper Training, and the range he mostly works out of is ETTS (Extreme Tactical Training Solutions) down near Waxahatchie/Maypearl. 1070 yards on long range. Good range with tons of "bays" or areas to work on different styles of training from pistol, AR, tactical, etc. and they hold a bunch of different discipline type matches.

For close to the home In NE Tarrant County, I'll typically go to Quail Creek Range for sight in, etc. since it's max distance is just 100 yds.
https://www.quailcreekrange.com/

I use Elm Fork range occasionally for rifle but mostly sporting clays. Nice setup all around but no long range rifle, 100 yds.

Closer to home long range: Fossil Pointe outside of Decatur is a nice and they do have stand alone long distance range that's 250 to 800 yards.

Out near Mingus, TX is Tac Pro and they have a 1000 yd range. I've not shot there but have had pretty decent feedback from a few people, so looking forward to heading there someday soon just to check it out for myself.

Hope this helps!

You forgot NETT in Forney. They go out to one mile for ELR , and Pistol Bays with steel too.

Reactions: Stevo86
You forgot NETT in Forney. They go out to one mile for ELR , and Pistol Bays with steel too.
I’ve not had the opportunity to visit or shoot NETT, but I’m working on the skills and know-how to stretch out beyond 1000 m, so hopefully I’ll need to utilize that longer range in the not too distant future. Something to work towards for sure. That and getting to know some local guys that are into LRS since it seems I’m the only one of my usual crew that’s seriously interested in taking it to that level.

I’m out near Rowlett, but PM me. We have a few guys that do ELR, and even go out all the way to 2800yds.
Sounds great and I appreciate the invite. I'm getting some help from instructor load developing for my rifle at the moment. Once we get that all squared away and confirm on the range, get some more work in so I'm competent enough to not get in everyone else's way I'll definitely do that. Heck I'll come out just to watch everyone else and learn from observation and probably ask a bunch of dumb questions.

Thanks J.D.!

My ranch is right by the caprock canyon park, lotta our place is part of the caprock canyon’s… just not in the park. Plenty of Mule deer. We are about 10 miles from Turkey.

fossil point in Decatur has 800 yds…. But last I heard you had to pay for a class then qualify.

Northeast tactical in Terrell is excellent, pretty sure someone mentioned it earlier. 1 mile range and the owner is a cool guy. They put on some good matches.

Since I live in Grayson County, I know a few gunsmiths here. The proprietor at Black Beard Armory & Range in Sherman.

Another is a guy I have talked to but not yet had the need to use his services. Guns n More in Howe. He will build everything from the bottom up, if you wish. Or work with whatever parts you want to get. But, yeah, the OP definitely has gunsmiths far closer and there is no need to drive too far.

I have been wanting to go to Northeast Tactical and may do that, one day. According to their site, before you go to 1K, let alone the mile, you need to qualify by hitting an IPSC target at 300, 400, 500, 600, and 700 yards, in that order. Which makes sense. They want to make sure you and the rifle are capable enough to hit the target. Which is more than just parts. Need smooth skill and be a natural born wind leader, even though the direction is pretty much south to north.

My ranch is right by the caprock canyon park, lotta our place is part of the caprock canyon’s… just not in the park. Plenty of Mule deer. We are about 10 miles from Turkey.

fossil point in Decatur has 800 yds…. But last I heard you had to pay for a class then qualify.

Northeast tactical in Terrell is excellent, pretty sure someone mentioned it earlier. 1 mile range and the owner is a cool guy. They put on some good matches.
Awesome place to have a ranch!

If I'm recalling correctly, Fossil point makes you qualify by 3 or 5 shot group within MOA for the distance which starts at 200 yards then you get to make an appointment and pay $50 for a RSO to witness you shooting progressively from 3-4-5-6 etc. before they turn you loose.

ETTS recently put a card operated gate on their LR course to keep unqualified shooters out as they were having issues with some folks.

Reactions: Stevo86 and Ronws

If I'm recalling correctly, Fossil point makes you qualify by 3 or 5 shot group within MOA for the distance which starts at 200 yards then you get to make an appointment and pay $50 for a RSO to witness you shooting progressively from 3-4-5-6 etc. before they turn you loose.

ETTS recently put a card operated gate on their LR course to keep unqualified shooters out as they were having issues with some folks.
Yeah, what I have noticed, aside from pure fudds, is that most range rules have a good reason to exist.

I qualified at both….but fossil point just required a 1” group at 200 I think…

Hopefully I’m still gtg!

I qualified at both….but fossil point just required a 1” group at 200 I think…

Hopefully I’m still gtg!
I think, mathematically, a 1" group at 200 yards would be 1.047*2=2.094. Then 1"/2.094"= .48 ish MOA. Not bad, at all. Normally, a 2 inch group at 200 yard would be a hair under 1 MOA.

Or am I wrong? I know this linear progression does not continue. You can have a 1 MOA rifle but thanks to cartridge, various winds, etcetera, is not working as a 1 MOA rifle at 1k yards, for example.

I think, mathematically, a 1" group at 200 yards would be 1.047*2=2.094. Then 1"/2.094"= .48 ish MOA. Not bad, at all. Normally, a 2 inch group at 200 yard would be a hair under 1 MOA.

Or am I wrong? I know this linear progression does not continue. You can have a 1 MOA rifle but thanks to cartridge, various winds, etcetera, is not working as a 1 MOA rifle at 1k yards, for example.
Maybe that’s what it was….. 2” at 200 sounds right. Been along time ago when I qualified

Maybe that’s what it was….. 2” at 200 sounds right. Been along time ago when I qualified
Not a prob.

Trust me, I have been caught by math from others. But, I can easily say that it only happens to me on days that end in the letter 'y'. (American English spelling.)

Fossil Pointe qualification rules - 300-800 shoot every 100 yds - one miss per distance is allowed. It's a pretty area up there - about 35 miles from me.

Quail Creek is my local range - only out to 100 and only slow-fire, even on the pistol range, but people are nice and easy to do load testing or sight-in. On the same property, there is a club with classes - they hang steel and are fine with rapid fire.

Texas gun experience also allows rapid fire, but you are in a lane, so no transitions or dynamic targets.

Fossil Pointe qualification rules - 300-800 shoot every 100 yds - one miss per distance is allowed. It's a pretty area up there - about 35 miles from me.

Quail Creek is my local range - only out to 100 and only slow-fire, even on the pistol range, but people are nice and easy to do load testing or sight-in. On the same property, there is a club with classes - they hang steel and are fine with rapid fire.

Texas gun experience also allows rapid fire, but you are in a lane, so no transitions or dynamic targets.
Thanks for posting that. It’s changed alittle since I did mine. Once I shot the 2” @ 200 I was gtg lol.

Reactions: Chickentoast
I like Quail Creek. Low fee good for the whole day. I have seen guys working prone, too. You have time to make adjustments. Maybe even drag a snake through.
The only downside for me is it is a bit of a hike. Over an hour. I once went to one in Calera, Oklahoma on a Saturday but their range was closed because they did not have an RSO on shift that day.

Just sign up for a 2-hour lesson with Rhett Gum. Cheaper and you'll end up shooting the 7-shot qualifier and be good to go anyway. Qualifier only is also an option. Hit 300, 400, 500, 600, and 700 yard targets using no more than 7 rounds. If you've done any long-range it should be a piece of cake. I think you get 3 minutes. Pretty much the same as Northeast Texas Tactical which goes out to 1 mile.

Just sign up for a 2-hour lesson with Rhett Gum. Cheaper and you'll end up shooting the 7-shot qualifier and be good to go anyway. Qualifier only is also an option. Hit 300, 400, 500, 600, and 700 yard targets using no more than 7 rounds. If you've done any long-range it should be a piece of cake. I think you get 3 minutes. Pretty much the same as Northeast Texas Tactical which goes out to 1 mile.
I’ve qualified at both places way back, so I’m ok.