"New" guy from Maryland

Blazin

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 6, 2008
Maryland
Hey everybody. I registered for the forums in 2008 and am only recently active. My interests lie exclusively in guns, and I tend to shift from one core sport to another every decade or so.

I spent about 13 years shooting NRA Highpower Rifle, with some long range and smallbore thrown in there, and swore I would never shoot a standard course of fire ever again. I shifted to USPSA, with some IDPA and 3-Gun thrown in for good measure, and after 13 years I still compete in USPSA regularly; during this time I've always had a secret love with rifle shooting, and I mean REAL rifle shooting, you know, something demanding. My local club sometimes does 3-Gun and it's ridiculusly easy and seems like a waste of ammo to me. I want a challenge.

I think I ended up here because I recently made up my mind to purchase a Tikka T3 Sporter, but wanted a professional opinion about it. I really like the knowledge shared here and the professionalism of the members...other forums are obviously filled with nothing but armchair commandos.

Welcome! What part of Maryland are you from? I'm over in Potomac.

While I don't have a Tikka sporter myself, I've heard very good things about them. For the price, you're getting excellent bang for the buck. The real question is what do you want to use this rifle for, and how many modifications do you want to make to it over time. Are you looking for a LR tactical comp rifle? An LR hunting rifle? A mix?

Welcome! What part of Maryland are you from? I'm over in Potomac.

I'm in southern MD...live in Calvert county and work in St. Mary's. Not my #1 choice of places to live by any means, but the job is good and the in-laws (whom I love) are close by.

While I don't have a Tikka sporter myself, I've heard very good things about them. For the price, you're getting excellent bang for the buck. The real question is what do you want to use this rifle for, and how many modifications do you want to make to it over time. Are you looking for a LR tactical comp rifle? An LR hunting rifle? A mix?

I'm looking for an affordable LR tactical comp rifle for a decent price. I've always wanted a Scandanavian rifle as well. It seems the Scandanavian countries have incredibly good machining work and that really attracts me to the rifles...I enjoy a finely made machine, but am still very active with USPSA (and buying/building guns) so I don't want to dump $3,000+ in a rifle right now. Essentially the Tikka scratches more than one itch I've had.

There aren't many comps in MD, though there are a number in the mid-Atlantic states. I think you're on track with the Tikka given your needs. I bet there will be a quite a few guys in the bolt action section that can discuss the nuances of the Tikka with you.

Welcome. There is a club named Sanner's lake down here. Not much in terms of rifle matches though. I know of one guy named Bill that used to shoot high power a lot. Perhaps you know him? And of Sanners =).

Welcome. There is a club named Sanner's lake down here. Not much in terms of rifle matches though. I know of one guy named Bill that used to shoot high power a lot. Perhaps you know him? And of Sanners =).

Bill...yeah, I think I know that guy, real good lookin' fell as I recall, LOL! Can't said I know any Lenny's at Sanners.