New Guy from SW Texas

VerSeven

Private
Minuteman
Supporter
Oct 4, 2024
Texas, USA
Hi everyone,

I'm a middle-aged shooter new to the Hide. I grew up in a rural area and shot pretty frequently, but other than taking a deer once every few years, I haven't done much shooting as an adult. A few years ago, my dad had a health scare (he is fine now), and it made me realize how little I knew about the basic setup, care, use, and maintenance of firearms. I had always relied on him for everything—sighting in rifles before hunting season, the guns themselves, ammo selection, gun cleaning and care, etc.—and it made me realize I needed to develop some skills if I wanted to be able to pass them down myself.

Basic things I'm working on right now include trying to put together a comprehensive checklist for firearm maintenance, care, and cleaning (how often, what to look for, what methods), getting comfortable sighting in rifles myself (along with scope setup—I know very little about optics in general), and buying or assembling three high-quality bolt-action rifles and one shotgun. I grew up shooting a .410 break-action, .30-30 lever-action, 12-gauge pump-action, and .30-06 bolt-action, so those are what I'm most familiar with. However, I'm really interested in some of the newer cartridges that have come out in the last 20 or so years. The only thing I am sure of at this point is that I want a bolt-action .22 that is accurate and has a threaded muzzle—I want to use it to retrain in basic marksmanship, and being able to shoot suppressed subsonic ammo would make that a lot easier.

I am also planning to learn how to do reloading, which is a bit intimidating due to the explosive nature of the materials used. I have pretty good experience with some similar technical hobbies like bladesmithing and pen turning, but I need to settle on the calibers for some of my higher-powered rifles before committing to getting started. I have read a lot on this forum, watched some videos, and read the ABC's of Reloading 10th edition. I'm also looking into a class offered by the NRA—the "Basic Metallic Cartridge Reloading Course"—which is offered in a nearby city a few times over the coming months. I would love to know if anyone has experience or recommendations on similar training options.

In terms of less important goals, I am interested in and fascinated by long-range shooting and would like to develop some skill in that area. Most of the hunting I have done has been at what most people would consider extreme close range (~50 yards, with the long-range extreme being about 200 yards), normally out of a deer blind or, more commonly, off someone's back or front porch. I have a friend who is used to the more Northwest style of hunting who refers to what we are doing more as harvesting rather than hunting, and honestly, he's not wrong. I am not really interested in the PRS or NRL style competitions, though I might try competing in one at some point (with no expectation of doing well at all) just to have a goal to guide some of my training.

I am really fascinated by achieving accuracy through the combination of my skill set and equipment—probably more than what is required for my most likely use cases (hunting at short range). There is something I find profoundly satisfying about being able to hit exactly where you want when you want, and that is part of what I really desire when I settle on my setups. Right now, I am just setting aside a few hundred dollars a month and establishing a fund for any purchases I eventually pursue down the road.

Hello and welcome to the hide. What part of west Texas are you from? I am currently in Corpus so it's nice to have another Texan.

If you are set on a 22cal bolt action, I would look into something like a 22arc or 22GT. Get a 24" barrel in whatever action you want, and it should make for a great texas deer rifle as well as allow you to shoot out to 1000 yards for fun.

Thanks for the advice, I am from Uvalde, and grew up in the Hill Country to the north in Real County. For those who are bit unfamiliar with the area, that is due west of San Antonio and about halfway between San Antonio and Del Rio. My grandfather lived in Corpus Christi and my parents grew up in a small town very nearby so I have been there quite a few times, beautiful area.

My line of thinking with the 22 was just to get a 22 LR for the following reasons, cheap ammo, build muscle memory, the option to shoot subsonic ammo with a suppressor (so as not to bother the neighbors), I was looking at the 6mm ARC(along with the 6.5 cm and 6.5 PRC) as an option for a good light/midweight deer and long range rifle / target shooting rifle, then something heavier for the final one (something like 300 WSM up to one of the Magnums or 300 PRC). All that said I am really pretty new to this and hadn't even heard of the 22 arc or 22 gt and will definitely look into them.

Reactions: stello1001
Thanks for the advice, I am from Uvalde, and grew up in the Hill Country to the north in Real County. For those who are bit unfamiliar with the area, that is due west of San Antonio and about halfway between San Antonio and Del Rio. My grandfather lived in Corpus Christi and my parents grew up in a small town very nearby so I have been there quite a few times, beautiful area.

My line of thinking with the 22 was just to get a 22 LR for the following reasons, cheap ammo, build muscle memory, the option to shoot subsonic ammo with a suppressor (so as not to bother the neighbors), I was looking at the 6mm ARC(along with the 6.5 cm and 6.5 PRC) as an option for a good light/midweight deer and long range rifle / target shooting rifle, then something heavier for the final one (something like 300 WSM up to one of the Magnums or 300 PRC). All that said I am really pretty new to this and hadn't even heard of the 22 arc or 22 gt and will definitely look into them.
There's going to be limited factory ammo options for the 22arc and the 22gt. So if you're already considering the 6arc or 6.5cm, those would be some solid choices as well.

Good luck with it all. 😎