• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Rifle Scopes New Guy Optics Question

Str8pipelmm

Str8pipelmm
Minuteman
Jan 12, 2014
Sulphur La
Howdy, I'm new here and have a newbie question. So I got a wild hair and decided I'd like to start shooting longer distances than I have so far. I've done quite a bit, but not past 100-150 yards. I bought a remington sps tactical 308 and need some help on a scope. I'd like a decent one that I can eventually get out to 500-600 yds, and I would like to stay around $500 or less. Please let me know if I can or I'm dreaming. Thanks

$500 is the lowest of low ends for what most guys around here would use on a "serious" rifle. (As with all generallizations, please take that blanket statment with a grain of salt) So don't expect a lot of options or opinions. The SS is by far your best bet in that price range. I also like the lower end Leupold tactical scopes (mark AR and patrol) but i'm in the minority.

Your next step up is SFP Vortex (less than $1,000). Then you get into the $1500 ranges and the options are wide open. As mentioned, lots of great deals on good scopes in the "for sale" section here.

look around for a sightron siii 3.5-10, i bought the moa/moa with lit center dot from swfa, their 110% price match put it just a tad over what your wanting to spend.

very clear optics, great reticle, 2nd focal, which is fine just range at 10x and dial back if needed. reticle is simple, there are other options also. the turrets are better than most i have felt and better than anything in it's price range! or you can contact liberty optics for a 6-24 FFP in moa or mil and still be under 1000 easily with great optics, room to shoot 2x what you plan and also use on larger platform if you want to grow later.

just my .02

OP, I am in the exact same boat as you. After days and days of frustrating research and much reading, and since I don't even know what I really want in scope at my level of experience, I plunked down $299 for a SS 12x. I came the conclusion that every variable optic under $800 was too much of a compromise between the quality and features I thought I wanted.

After I received the scope, I printed out scaled targets to simulate 600, 800, and 1K yards. The 12x seems enough magnification to be make hits, and I am trusting the plethora of good reviews for the mechanicals (I am impressed with the glass and adj. so far). Once I start shooting longer distances, and learn what I want or need, I can either sell it and recoup most of the money, or keep it as back up scope, or put it on one of my .22s.

Now....to get it mounted and get some practice!!!

My .02 as a fellow noob to long range shooting....

a good quality 10x will get you too and past 1000m. tracking is also something that plays a major role. search here on the forum and you will find this exact question atleast 50x, and alot of input, both good and bad, along with links. best bet is to go to a few stores and get hands on anything your interested in and even some you may not be. see what reticles you like. then ask questions more specific to what your search has brought you too conclude as options for you. maybe go to a local range and see if some shooters will let you look through their optics.

I agree that you should probably look to some of the fixed power scopes. They will get you the best bang for your buck at this point and are simple to boot. Also, one thing to note is that you might feel that you need a high amount of magnification, but really you don't.

Leupold VX-R tactical is a solid choice for 500-600yds IMO. 3-9x40mm 30mm tube. I've ran mine out to 600yds. It's a solid little optic for the money. Reticle is a tad thick though.

Keep an eye of the Optic for sale here on SH. A used Vortex PST would be a good option, the 6 x 24 will give you the option to shoot to and past the 1000yd mark. Vortex covers their scopes with a lifetime warranty. Don't cheap out on the rings, you want a good set and follow the torquing specs with a good inch lb torque wrench. A 20 moa rail will also be needed, plan on $100 plus for a good rail.