NEW I.R.I.S. Electronic Target system, pics

Captain Kirk

Roberts Tactical Precison
Banned !
I posted this in the observation section, but since it is geared towards ELR I thought I would post here as well. I have been a long time member here on the hide and have been working on a new electronic target system that utilizes high intensity LED lighting, wireless impact/load sensor technology, and long range remote capability. Many years ago I designed the orrigional Target Transmitter video system for ELR, this was another idea I have been working on since 2007. We will be bringing our system to the market by July of 2014. I am a startup company, and will be setting up our vendor status here on the Hide in the next few weeks. I will not be taking orders here until we aquire our vendor status. We are gearing up for production currently, and we will have 3 main products, with many more to come. We debuted the IRIS target lights at the JC Steel Challenge this March, featured on stage 1 at the 1002 yd and 1315 yd targets.

I.R.I.S. (Interactive Remote Identification System) is a patent pending target system that offers many benifits to the long range precision shooter. The high intensity 42 light amber directional LED is visible past 2000 yards in bright daylight, and is highly visible in the worst shooting conditions such as rain, snow, or fog. The wireless Impact Detection Module picks up impacts to the target and sends signals to the Target Control Module housed in the lighting system. I.R.I.S. can also be activated by a high power hand held remote control, capable of triggering IRIS up to 2000 yards. The handheld remote can control 1 to 4 IRIS target systems, allowing full control of multiple target locations from the shooting position. The handheld remote aids in locating targets at long range, as well as indicating which target the shooter is to engage. I.R.I.S. can be run in the field for many days of continuous use on a single charge. We have left I.R.I.S. powered on in the field for over 30 days, since there is minimal draw at idle from both the IDM and TCM. Both the IDM and TCM lighting system are completely self contained, weather proof, portable, and easy to setup in minutes.

•wireless Impact Detection Module (IDM), no wires to be shot or damaged from impacts. Each IDM operates on a independant frequency, allowing multiple I.R.I.S. systems to be used in close proximity. Multiple IDMs can be programed to control a single I.R.I.S. TCM lighting system. IDM max transmitter range, 150 yards from TCM (light)
•fully contained Target Control Module (TCM) and rechargable battery (charger included)
•TCM is fully programable for multiple IDMs and handheld remotes
•multiple I.R.I.S. systems can be controled via the included handheld remote
•4 channel remote shipped with single I.R.I.S. systems. Range - 2000 yards +, will control up to 4 I.R.I.S. target systems, 12 channel remote available
•12 channel remote available for multiple IRIS systems
•IRIS includes one Impact Detection Module (IDM), one Target Control Module (TCM) and lighting system, one wireless 4 channel remote, 12 volt charger
•additional Impact Detection Modules and handheld remotes can be purchased seperately
•we will be offering stand alone systems to attach to your steel, or provide complete ready to shoot target systems with ballistic grade AR500 steel. IPSC style sizes 45%, 66%, 100%. 1/4", 3/8" 1/2"

we are finishing up a video which will be posted to the website at rtacprecision.com

IRIScloseuppic_zpsc4e8a087.png
IRISlight_zps4ae2e1a9.png
IDMpic_zpsef1285fa.png

view from target to the firing line, 1 mile
P3160702_zps88475cdb.jpg

setting up the mile target and IRIS remote lighing system (upper left)
P3160705_zpsdd5cecaf.jpg

impacts @ 1 mile
P3160712_zps3246ee14.jpg

short video of the IRIS remote lights, 1 mile upper right, 1242 lower left. click the picture for the video (not the best quality)

Kirk Roberts
Roberts Tactical Precision Inc

Last edited:
Glad to see another Washintonian here, not many around ;) Does your IRIS identify where the hits are on target or just that it was hit. At those rages just knowing it was hit will be extremely helpful. Thanks for making a big contribution to our sport.

The IRIS system shown above is a hit indicator on a existing target, which also uses a handheld remote. The remote is used for identifying target locations, or marking which target the shooter is to engage. We will also be offering kits with our targets for a turn key setup with options of target size and thickness. We are in the process of finishing up our patent pending MQT target system, which will use a version of the IRIS remote lights. The MQT is a IPSC style target made up of multiple plates, or quadrants consisting of head, body, and center mass AR500 plates. Each zone has a specific color on the lighting sytem. There is info on the website, we will be posting up pics and videos soon. The IRIS has been in the works for a while, but we are finalizing a few details before bringing it to market, as well as the Multi Quadrant Target which uses the technology of the IRIS system. Here is a link MULTI QUADRANT TARGET

Kirk Roberts
Roberts Tactical Precision

Last edited:
Pretty cool idea, what does the system cost?

We are working on pricing for the MQT target system, IRIS pricing is on the site. As stated earlier, I will not be taking any orders or pre-orders as of yet. There are 8 units that I use for matches and demos, they may start touring their way around the states to matches if there is interest for that.

Kirk Roberts
Roberts Tactical Precision

Clever idea , I like it a lot

With the turn key system with the MQT set up , how will the system know where the target was hit with multiple sensors attached even though each target plate might not be attached to one another ?
The only reason I ask is in the video it looked very sensitive when you knocked it to light it up.

Will be waiting to see the pricing on this system.

Last edited:
With the turn key system with the MQT set up , how will the system know where the target was hit with multiple sensors attached even though each target plate might not be attached to one another ?

Here are the main differences of the two systems. The IRIS system in the video uses a impact module that is attached to the target or T post, it picks up impacts as light as 50 ft lbs so even the 6mms will be picked up at a mile. The IDM transmits wirelessly to the TCM light which displays the impact. You can program one or multiple IDMs (impact detection modules) to a single IRIS TCM (target control module). Since they run on independent frequencies, you can run multiple IRIS systems side by side or in close proximity, only the IDM that is programmed to a specific IRIS will trigger it.

The MQT target consists of independent plates connected to a frame, and uses pressure switches on the plates as opposed to impact detection. The standard IDM would not be able to differentiate which plate was hit, since it is looking for impacts or motion. The physical movement of the independent plates is what is used to trigger the transmitter on the MQT. The transmitter in the MQT is also wireless and uses a long range remote as well, but those are the only two similarities of the standard IRIS and MQT IRIS.

Kirk Roberts

Last edited:
Kirk:

Interesting tech and pricing seems reasonable for the provided capability. And I appreciate the flexibility of the customer being able to provide their own targets. Great work!

It appears that the IDM is mounted via contact adhesive or bolted onto the target. As a "steel only" solution, which heavy hitters has the hardware been test with? I'm hoping 375 CT and 50 BMG. If so, any indication of anything "rattling lose"? If not yet tested with such cartridges, approximately how much impact (foot pounds of energy) will the IDM take (single shots and total number or shots) before "failure" (no or unreliable communications)? Basically asking whether there is limit to what the IDM will stand.

Thanks!

If not yet tested with such cartridges, approximately how much impact (foot pounds of energy) will the IDM take (single shots and total number or shots) before "failure" (no or unreliable communications)? Basically asking whether there is limit to what the IDM will stand?

The majority of our "destruction testing" has been conducted using a 338 Edge @ 100 yards (300gr Berger OTM Hybrids @ 2770 fps). I would imagine that even the bigger 50s and Cheytacs will not be a issue at distance considering the amount of energy the 338 Edge generates at 100 yds. I will be testing the IDM against a 50BMG at 600 yds shortly. I really could'nt imagine this system being used at closer ranges than 600 with the BIG calibers. The approach I took with IRIS from the beginning has been to overbuild everything, make it tough and make the units last in the field.

Kirk Roberts

Kirk:

I look forward to your 50 BMG testing results. My application is min 1000 yards.

I note on your product page both:

"The high intensity 42 light amber directional LED is visible past 2000 yards in bright daylight"

and

"lighting module visible distance - over 2 miles in daylight"

Hoping its the "over 2 miles" version. Please advise.

How many IDMs can be associated with a single TCM and what will each additional IDM cost?

Thanks!

"lighting module visible distance - over 2 miles in daylight"

Hoping its the "over 2 miles" version. Please advise.

How many IDMs can be associated with a single TCM and what will each additional IDM cost?

I have shot on it out past a mile, but the lights can be seen out to 2 miles or further depending on lighting conditions. 2000-2200 yards is the envelope for the hand held remote, but the lighting module can be seen much further away. The LED lighting module is extremely bright, the video doesnt duplicate how visible it is in person.

You can run as many IDMs on a single IRIS light as you want. The Target Control Module is easy to program additional IDMs to, or erase a IDM from memory all just takes a few minutes. I ahve ran 10+ IDMs with a single IRIS light, but you can program many more.

Kirk Roberts