• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Suppressors New Kimber Warrior 1911 need Help

DeltaRogerVictor

Minuteman
Jul 12, 2009
Michigan
Hey guys I just got a new Kimber warrior 1911 about two weeks ago, love the gun it is my first 1911 I am having issues shooting it however it routinely shoots to the left, and the farther I go back the farther it hits left.
It (or I) shoots 1.5 to 2 in left at 5 yards
4 to 5 inches left at 10 yds
9-10 inches at 20 yds
I shoot my glock 19 great even at what i consider "Distance" (read 20 yds)
anyways I am looking for help from more experienced 1911 shooters
I have seen the bullseye pie chart and am working on trigger finger position and I talked with kimber about sending the gun back to have the sights evaluated, but any help or suggestions are appreciated

Re: New Kimber Warrior 1911 need Help

just measured group, since you asked I didn't measure it before because I was very pleased with the group just not the location, group 1 distance 5 yds 1.25 inches 5 rnds
group 2 distance 7 yds 1.85 inches 5 rnds
the rest of my shooting was at a caldwell handgun spinner when aiming at the right side frame @ approx 7 yds ( I just walked back until i felt like I was in a good spot) I was hitting the left side of the large 6" disc

Question #2 since I believe it is a sighting problem because I do alot of dry fire practice and think I have pretty good form, should I send the gun back to kimber which is alot of hassle to still maybe not have the sights correct for me, or take it to a local smith and have them do the work, I live very close to Williams Gunsight in michigan I would think that their smiths could adjust a 1911 sight although I have heard conflicting reports about various jobs they have done for people I know.

I have all types of mallets, and a brass drift, I already tried drifting the sights,I could not get them to budge no matter how hard I whacked them. as I understand it Kimber uses a 6 ton press to put their sights in with.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DeltaRogerVictor</div><div class="ubbcode-body">as I understand it Kimber uses a 6 ton press to put their sights in with. </div></div>

It is true. Doing anything to the sights on a Kimber, in my experience, is an exercise in brute force to get them to move. Even with a proper sight pusher that is designed for the job...it can be a major P.I.T.A.! Best to let a pro do or you risk damaging your slide, sights, etc.

Yes, Kimber sights are usually very tight. You are best off taking it to a gunsmith. Alternatively you can call Kimber Customer Service and see what they say. Perhaps they can take the slide back and adjust it.

Before you do either though, you might want to have someone else shoot it to see if they get the same result. No sense adjusting sights when it might be the shooter that needs adjusting.

You can drift the sights. Put a brass case over a decent sized punch and put the slide in a vice with soft jaws. I've had both sights off of my Kimber. it wasn't fun or easy but they will come out. just make sure the slide is tight in the vice, use a brass punch or the trick I mentioned, get yourself a big hammer, and make sure the force is going into the sight itself. It'll move eventually.

I would let someone else shoot it. 1911 different than a glock, might just be your grip. However, they make a sight ajustment tool that you could use. If you have night sights I would highly suggest you not hit them with a mallet/punch.