• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

New Lake City Primer Crimp?

2ac

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 11, 2009
Seattle
I just picked up a few boxes of Federal XM193 that appear to have a different primer crimp than any I've ever seen. I'm wondering if anyone else has seen these before. I also wonder if they would be easier to remove for reloading, maybe even unnessesary.
F56A2480.jpg

Re: New Lake City Primer Crimp?

That's a weird crimp, haven't seen that one before but from the looks of things you'll still have to remove the crimp and you might have to invest in more decapping pins, that crimp looks pretty aggressive.

From what I've heard, they switched to those crimps for the hotter M855A1's. They look like they might be easier to remove if you can get the primers out.

I have run across some of those. For the small amount of crimped brass I reload, I remove the crimps by hand with a reamer. I have to say that I cringe when I see that particular style of crimp. I found the more common, round crimp a lot easier to remove. But like I say, this is using a hand reamer. A press mounted swager or something like that may be a different ballgame altogether.

Yep, just went through a couple hundred cases with those crimps.

No problems with my dies and/or decapping pins, and worked fine for what I was using them for (.17 Mach IV, .20 Tactical and standard .223).