New Long Distance Shooter

MISMATCH

Private
Minuteman
Oct 8, 2024
Fort Eisenhower, GA
Good evening!

Thank you for allowing me to join the team. I’m a U.S. Army Officer and I have been an expert shot for quite some time now. I have a few questions:

1. I am looking for my very first ELR rifle. I love firing my AR and I have never shot past 300 meters. Call me crazy, but I want to start shooting out to a mile. I’m looking into a .338 Rifle. Is this too much, or should I start out with another rifle at a smaller caliber and get used to shooting out to 1000 yards?

2. I have been looking at scopes. What is the absolute best scope for ELR? I’ve done a ton of research but in my opinion, experience outweighs research. I found Leupold and Burris have really good options between $700-$1400.

Thank you for your time. I look forward to learning from you all.

Cheers,
Mark

Reactions: CSTactical
Welcome Mark. A couple of years ago when I lived in NC, I had access to a 1-mile target. I had success connecting with non-magnum rifles in 260 and 308 cal, but I wanted a rifle that could hit the 1-mile target more consistently. I ended up with a 300 Norma Magnum shooting 230gr Sierra or Berger match bullets. It was amazing what a difference it made stepping up to a cartridge in this class (300 RUM, 300 PRC, etc.). I went with the Accuracy International AXSR in 300 Norma Magnum in case I wanted to try the 338 Norma Magnum or the 338 Lapua Magnum since I could change the barrel myself in the field with this rifle system. I went with Zero Compromise for the optic and there are lots of good optics out there. Just keep in mind to shoot 1 mile, you will likely need to mount the scope with a system that gives your scope a downward cant. I think the AI rifle has 20 MOA rail on top of the receiver, and I used a SPUHR mount for the scope with an additional 6 MIL/20.6 MOA which gave me plenty of elevation for 1,760 yards. It sure is fun to ring steel at 1 mile, and it can get quite expensive too. Enjoy!

Reactions: MISMATCH and cuirc
I went through the same thought process as you about a year ago. I settled on the Savage primer elite in 338 Lapua. Now this is a lot of gun but the good news is MDT makes a terrific muzzle brake which they claim reduces recoil about 63% (if memory serves). It did reduce the recoil considerable for me it is more comfortable to shoot that an M 24. Range on it is easily 2 miles I have hit a target at 2100 yards. This would run around $2200 but you probably won't find something that will work for much less. You can look a the Ruger I don't know much about it. The other big purchase is the scope. In my opinion you can't cut corners on this. The Leopold, is good I prefer the Nightforce. I started with an ecconomic one ($2000) If you are happy with a set of crosshairs and some graduation that will enable range estimation; you can get the NX8 5-35 X50mm F2. turned out I wasn't overjoyed after I purchased it and used it a bit then I went for both lungs and bought an ATACR F1 7-37 (I think)x56mm. I am happy but by bank account isn't. But... The bipod you chose, is also important. MDT makes one for a little over $200.
Now the 338 Lapua eats powder, you can look at cartridges like the 300 PRC 0r the 7mm PRC. I understand but but do not wish to be quoted, I think the 7 PRC won last years Nightforce challenge. Lyman has a good book on long range shooting; do some research before spending money.
Lastly you need to live somewhere, where 1000+ yard ranges exist. I unfortunately live in New York and have to travel to a match.

Reactions: Lite and MISMATCH
33XC is top of the food chain for ELR light class which is limited to .590" bolt face diameter.

Nightforce ATACR is the most used scope last time I checked, there are tons of other great options. I'm currently running a ZCO personally.

There's tons of options depending on your goals and where you see yourself ending up.
I started shooting ELR just for fun and then graduated into matches and I've got myself in a spot where I'm happy with a 30 SM for Light class and Nightforce/ KRG match and then a 375 for heavy class.

A lot depends on what ranges you have regular access to and what distances are available. I've helped a lot of "expert" shooters learn to transition to ELR distances. I find that they typically do well out to about 700, and then the wheels start to come off. There's so much to learn about environmentals/wind that starts to come into play at distances beyond 700. My opinion is that it's a waste of a lot of money to pull the trigger on .338 class guns at distances less than 1200 yds. If that's what you'll mostly be shooting, get yourself a decent 6.5CM rifle like a Tikka and learn to make consistent hits in all-weather conditions and you'll be heavily-challenged enough as it is. IF you have regular access to 1500yds-1 mile, and don't mind the ammo cost to cover the steep learning curve for those distances, then you "could" go with a .338. I had all that, and started ELR with a .338, but I later ended up buying a 6.5 to shoot more and learn more at the 1000-1200 and it was a great decision. Instead of reloading .338s (due to cost) I just bought factory 6.5 Hornady ELD Match 140s and shot, and shot, and shot without having to worry about making time to reload .338s for the next session. I was shooting (and learning) faster than I could keep up on the reloading bench. I continued to shoot the .338 some too, but once I felt really confident with the 6.5 at 1000 I was ready to really take advantage of the .338's capability. Now that's mostly what I shoot (300PRC, 300NM, and 338NM), but I never pull the trigger on them less than 1500 yds unless I'm testing something or trying to work out a problem that arises. Going from your 300 yard experience to 1000 will be a steep learning curve, but going from 300 to 1500-1 mile is way more difficult than you are likely thinking. Neither way is right or wrong, but my advice to shooters who can already shoot with decent fundamentals but new to LR/ELR is get a good 6.5 (or equivalent) and get comfortable at 1000 first, then you'll be ready to take advantage of what .338s, etc can offer.

A lot depends on what ranges you have regular access to and what distances are available. I've helped a lot of "expert" shooters learn to transition to ELR distances. I find that they typically do well out to about 700, and then the wheels start to come off. There's so much to learn about environmentals/wind that starts to come into play at distances beyond 700. My opinion is that it's a waste of a lot of money to pull the trigger on .338 class guns at distances less than 1200 yds. If that's what you'll mostly be shooting, get yourself a decent 6.5CM rifle like a Tikka and learn to make consistent hits in all-weather conditions and you'll be heavily-challenged enough as it is. IF you have regular access to 1500yds-1 mile, and don't mind the ammo cost to cover the steep learning curve for those distances, then you "could" go with a .338. I had all that, and started ELR with a .338, but I later ended up buying a 6.5 to shoot more and learn more at the 1000-1200 and it was a great decision. Instead of reloading .338s (due to cost) I just bought factory 6.5 Hornady ELD Match 140s and shot, and shot, and shot without having to worry about making time to reload .338s for the next session. I was shooting (and learning) faster than I could keep up on the reloading bench. I continued to shoot the .338 some too, but once I felt really confident with the 6.5 at 1000 I was ready to really take advantage of the .338's capability. Now that's mostly what I shoot (300PRC, 300NM, and 338NM), but I never pull the trigger on them less than 1500 yds unless I'm testing something or trying to work out a problem that arises. Going from your 300 yard experience to 1000 will be a steep learning curve, but going from 300 to 1500-1 mile is way more difficult than you are likely thinking. Neither way is right or wrong, but my advice to shooters who can already shoot with decent fundamentals but new to LR/ELR is get a good 6.5 (or equivalent) and get comfortable at 1000 first, then you'll be ready to take advantage of what .338s, etc can offer.
Thank you very much for your input. Between the 6.5 and the 300WM, what would you say would be the better overall round to learn on out to 1000-1500? Thanks again!

I hate belted cartridges. I'd skip the 300WM and pick 300PRC over it (no belt, and more power). Factory Hornady 300PRC 225 ELD ammo isn't horribly expensive, but still nearly double the 6.5 ELD 140 load (and yet half the price of good .338 ammo). At 1000-1200, I'd pick 6.5 for sure. If over 1200, I'd go with the 300PRC. But I'm near sea-level, so if you're at a higher elevation (density altitude), the 6.5 will likely do fine for you out to nearly 1500.

Reactions: cuirc
If you planning to shoot out past 1500 yards to learn true elr distances and one day think about competing you will need to have at least a entry level caliber and cartridge. . With that I would not consider anything less then a 338 lapua In a 700 footprint platform. Stay away from the 338xc as it has way to short of throat life. 37xc is better . There are lots of entry level scopes that will work. In the 1500.00 price range but you would be better off spending a little more for better glass 2000.00 plus maven rs4 is my favorite Mid line prices scope . nightforce is great for a little more money stay away from the budget lower nightforce scopes . If you don't want to spend 2000 or more vortex
What ever scope you get it needs to at least have 120 moa travel. And Get a 60 moa Rail. Best advice don't go budget on Anything. You will be found wanting and upgrading its just a waste of money and time.

Reactions: cuirc
"Absolute best scope for ELR"...? Oh, boy, that's a can of worms. Bring a check book. But if you want to buy one scope that can take you all the way from learning to top-tier competition without holding you back, yet doesn't get into crazy price-range, I agree with @Taylorbok that a NF ATACR 7-35 is a great choice if you can swing it.

Reactions: MISMATCH and cuirc
There are many ways to cook an egg you need to get comfortable with scrambled before you try eggs over easy the point is to have fun and not get frustrated.

Reactions: MISMATCH
Just an afterthought, on a less expensive approach, while staying close your comfort zone, might be to get an AR10 in 308 which is good for 1000 yards, fit it it a medium expense scope like the Mil Leopold 3H on the M-24 as you probably know the M-24 is designed for 1000 yards. I have used it successfully at Camp Peary and try 1000 yards first. To go from a 1000 to greater distances isn't that difficult but can be expensive. Then follow one of the approaches above. To reach the 2000+ yards level and beyond you need a good bolt action on a chassis with a high level scope, no point in spending the money till you have built some skill. One challenge with the greater distances is range estimation. When you are ready to make this jump get a Zig KOH4 (I think) coupled with a Kestrel and and I phone to help with range determination.
See ELR Rifle Cases: Comparative Matrix below to get an idea how much there is to ELR .
Everything takes longer than you think if something is difficult you work harder and challenges are to be expected.

Last edited:
"Absolute best scope for ELR"...? Oh, boy, that's a can of worms. Bring a check book. But if you want to buy one scope that can take you all the way from learning to top-tier competition without holding you back, yet doesn't get into crazy price-range, I agree with @Taylorbok that a NF ATACR 7-35 is a great choice if you can swing it.
I agree, I have that scope and I am having 300 PCR built.

Reactions: MISMATCH
Thank you very much for your input. Between the 6.5 and the 300WM, what would you say would be the better overall round to learn on out to 1000-1500? Thanks again!
6.5CM hands down. The ammo is cheaper, the barrel will last twice as long, there are far more guns suited to that distance available and it's better training. 1500 yards is pretty much the end of the line for the 6.5CM on a silhouette and the wheels have fallen off at a mile but it'll still be getting a couple hits. Eventually, the wheels fall off everything and you will be going there so getting the experience early is good. You will be able to cross 1 mile off the bucket list with a 6.5CM.

10 years ago, I was in the same position you're in now with the same goals. I set up a R700 in 300WM for it. Worked great. It gave up nothing to a 338 Lapua except a lot of expense. That was then, better choices are now available. That applies to both the gun and cartridge.

Let's put up a straw man for what you're after. I'm not telling you this is what you need to be after, this is just a set of working assumptions to be updated with what you're really thinking. What you're thinking will also change as you work through this project and gain experience.

Not a reloader (yet). Factory ammo must be available. The 4 components of a 1 mile error budget are the precision of the ammo and rifle, velocity variations, BC variations, and uncertainty in the aiming point. Factory ammo means the most undesirable values for the first 3. The last one is what you're trying to develop. The short version is assuming the next shot will hit in or even near the last shot is naive. The group will be a cloud. You need to figure out where the center of the cloud is with as few shots as possible and have the discipline to wait for the inevitable hit. You will also need to be adjusting for wind changes through the filter of the horizontal cloud. Factory ammo will either be the most discouraging or the best teacher depending on how you approach things. When you're up and running on a ballistic solver, use it to get a set of common values for the contribution of each of the first 3 components. The precision comes from the 100 yard groups, bump the velocity 100 fps and run another solution, do the same for a 10% change in BC. Convert it all to either an angular value at the target or inches of vertical. Figure 50 fps and 4% on the BC is a pretty good lot of factory ammo. Decent reloads are half that, one fourth of that is highly competitive. If these concepts are internalized, it quickly becomes apparent that jerking off on the 100 yard line trying to get group sizes down is a waste of time, barrel life, and components. Cartridges that trade a less drop for barrel life lose a lot of luster. Time of flight does matter in the on target vertical spread from a given set of velocity or BC differences, but the real meat is in cutting the differences themselves. The estimates should be for what you're confident the next 10 shot string will be, not the best you remember for each.

10 shot strings on a 30-60 second cadence before a barrel cool down. This seems to be where everybody I shoot with goes when recreational shooting. It's middle of the road for a competition COF. Figure barrel life of 2500 rounds with the 6.5 CM, 1200 for the 300WM, 600-800 for a 300 Norma, 400-600 for a 33XC or 375CT. A given barrel might be done at half that, it's unlikely one will go half again that.

Hobby level interest. Not interested in cutting edge competition equipment. (yet)

For the gun, my thoughts are the RPR is the best value. I have 6 of them. Two of them still have their Ruger barrels. Pick 6.5CM, 300 PRC or 338 Lapua. If you want a 338, just buy it because nothing else will scratch the itch. The 300 PRC has the same ballistic performance for half the factory ammo cost. The core benefits of the 300 PRC over the 300 WM are the factory ammo is much better, the chamber in factory barrels is better, and much better brass is readily available for the reloader. The 338 might be more upgradeable, but this likely won't be your last ELR rifle.

For optics, start with the travel you'll need for a mile. Say 20 mils or 70 moa. My equipment is all mils, but optics specs tend to be in moa so we'll use those. If we try to brute force it, trying to do 70 moa with just the turret will require a scope with 140 moa of travel. That's on the expensive end of 34mm scopes. If a 20 moa base is added, we'll only need 100 moa of internal travel. That's within the range of decent 30mm scopes. There isn't any difference in the costs of 20 and 30 moa bases. Once you're into scopes with 100 moa of travel, just go with the 30 moa base. These are sample calcs, redo them for the cartridge and maximum range you decide on. I prefer ghosted Christmas tree reticles. Hashmarks on the cross hairs, dots out in space. This is a strongly personal preference that depends on the mental games you play to improve your chances on the 4th component. For reference, a 2 mile optic system looks like a 130+moa 34mm scope in a 20 moa 1 piece mount on a 30 moa base with a 30 mil NF wedge on the forend or NV bridge.

I strongly recommend the use of a chrono when you shoot. It'll greatly improve your perspective on what's going on down range, speed up the learning curve and frankly it's a huge advantage when shooting long range. The Garmin is the current favorite. I have one and it's lived up to the hype.

A LRF is a good idea, as is a Kestrel.

There are all kinds of hacks to avoid buying those 3 pieces of equipment. That getting stuck at 600-800 yards is often the result of "truing" up a solution and building a broken watch. It's right twice a day, once at 100 yards and once at the truing distance.

Fuck, I've written another attention span test......

^^Good advice, although I’ve gotten considerably better barrel life out of the 6.5CM and 300NM than what was listed. I don’t have any experience with the others mentioned. But also, they are Bartlein or Krieger, not Ruger, so that may be the difference. And, while not huge, my 300PRC does give up a little distance to my 338NM or LM, and 300NM. But, the 300PRC Hornady 225ELD factory load is accurate in my rifle, and is less than than half the price of 338, and will get out close to 338 distance. I’d still agree that a 6.5 is an excellent choice for 1000-1200, and beyond 1200 the PRC is an excellent choice to a mile. DEFINITELY would pick it over the 300WM.

Reactions: Lite and MISMATCH