Rifle Scopes New member....New ?

ironworker21

Private
Minuteman
Dec 22, 2010
Coast to Coast
Mainly the post was to say Hay, new memeber. But i truly do have a ?. Been looking for a new optic for my 300wm. I'm new to scopes, not firearms so take it easy, only used iron till now.

I've narrowed it down to these 3 maufacturers...Premier, USO, and S&B. The Premier in the 5-25 heritage, the USO in the 3.8-22 ergo, and the S&B in the 5-25 PMII. The rifle is for some hunting, and some target. I'm not concerned with weight, I'm kinda a workout freak so a little heavy is fine, and the extra weight would add to the recoil management, as i don't have a break on it yet.

I know, really I don't need those high of magnification's, but it gives me room to not only move it to larger caliber's, but also just room to zoom out and play with location.

Also, this will be basically my last high end piece of glass for a couple years as I plan on not only sending this bad boy to GAP for some work, but also plan on ordering a GAP full build this year, and the Fiance' would totally shit if I added 2 high end scopes to 2 high end rifles in one year...so to keep the troops at bay, this will be it for let's say atleast 1 year...give or take.....

So gentleman....let me have it, no holds barred!

Re: New member....New ?

I would add Hensoldt to the mix as it's on par with the S&B. I would rank them as follows.

Hensoldt
S&B
USO

I wouldn't go for the Premier as they've had a number of issues in the past. Supposedly those issues have been fixed however that is an expensive "let's see".

Just make sure you get mil/mil. You're better off in the long run.

Have owned all you have in your list and would recommend the S&B. I have two of them now and love them. Excellent knobs in the dual turn elevation knob. Reticle I would recommend for the 5-25 would be the P4F also. 5-25 is a good scope power as you can always turn it down but you can't dial up a 15x scope. You will never regret buying the S&B.

I would recommend you try to get behind the optics you are looking to purchase. As the others have said, there are several great option as listed and you won't go wrong with any of the 4 brands.

My experience for the past year and a half says don't cut the Premier out of your decisions. Mine has served me very well under a wide range of conditions.

Good Luck and enjoy the process

Mike thanks for the quick response. I wanted to add, and may still, the Hensoldt line. But they seemed, and this was just last week, a bit over my budget. Yeah i know, what's a couple hundred more of your allready at 3k. Maybe it was just a mental thing, not sure. But that said, it may still get the green.

The only one of those, now 4, I have been able to physically handle is the S&B. It seems like it is built like a tank, solid, very positive clicks, which i'm finding i really like. I like the design of the Premier, but am a bit apprehensive since they just havn't been around as long as the others.

No one, that i can find, in my area has any of the other names so i'm mainly going on 'internet' here say with the others. Again thanks for the time!

Wow thanks for responses guys. I'd love to get behind them all but sadly everyone I know in Nebraska think's Leupold is the only scope manufacturer that exists. I'm a few hours drive from GAP, and gave them a call last week, I believe, and asked if they had anything in the vault that I could check out, and it was pretty empty, with the exception of a couple S&B's I think.

Great advice already given.

My 300 WinMag has a USO SN3 3.8-22, ERGO, EREK (34mm tube).

USO scopes are well built/rugged, many options (reticle/configurations) are available, and have a good reputation for their customer service.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Diablo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Great advice already given.

My 300 WinMag has a USO SN3 3.8-22, ERGO, EREK (34mm tube).

USO scopes are well built/rugged, many options (reticle/configurations) are available, and have a good reputation for their customer service.

</div></div>

Note that currently, Frogman2 has a USO 3.8-22 listed in the Optics for sale section.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ironworker21</div><div class="ubbcode-body">"There has been some great scopes mentioned now what mount are you going to place it in?"

Badger Ordnance or USO. USO only because the 3.8-22's sitting on some vendors shelves have the 35mm tubes. </div></div>
Looks like you have done some more research than most "Newbs" on here. Its kind of refeshing not getting the typical what tacticool item can I buy for my gun question.
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would add Hensoldt to the mix as it's on par with the S&B. I would rank them as follows.

Hensoldt
S&B
USO

I wouldn't go for the Premier as they've had a number of issues in the past. Supposedly those issues have been fixed however that is an expensive "let's see".

Just make sure you get mil/mil. You're better off in the long run. </div></div>
As much as I like USO and the guys there, you cant mention "a number of issues in the past" and only mention Premier. Im sure they have left a sour taste in your mouth, but to say that its an expensive "lets see" is absurb IMHO. Many people run the premiers with great success, and many people run USO's with great success, but both have had more then there share of issue's in the past. The good thing is that both company's will take care of you if an issue might arrise.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would add Hensoldt to the mix as it's on par with the S&B. I would rank them as follows.

Hensoldt
S&B
USO

Just make sure you get mil/mil. You're better off in the long run. </div></div>

Like no other scope manufacturer has issues... We can find examples of just about any scope failing. Except for maybe the Hensoldts, but time will tell since not too many people have them yet.

My friend just had his paralax knob fall off his S&B 5-25. I think Mike at CS Tactical had his 4-16 S&B break on him 5 or 6 times already. Does that mean that S&B sends out a crap product? Absolutely not.

All the scopes listed are pretty good. You just got to choose what features best fits your needs and go from there.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: strangedays</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ironworker21</div><div class="ubbcode-body">"There has been some great scopes mentioned now what mount are you going to place it in?"

Badger Ordnance or USO. USO only because the 3.8-22's sitting on some vendors shelves have the 35mm tubes. </div></div>
Looks like you have done some more research than most "Newbs" on here. In kind of refeshing not getting the typical what tacticool item can I buy for my gun question.
smile.gif
</div></div>

I try. I've found that being a research fanatic online, when I'm on the road, is much more condusive to keeping mula in the bank when I'm on the road then it is by sitting in a bar with the guys everynight after work. And of course it will sometimes stop you from looking like a lazy retard hoping someone will do all the work for ya. Wish I could say this about some of my brother ironworker's....
eek.gif

There's something else you need to think about........you sound like a proud American Union worker, "like myself." It's a good idea to support American business when possible-like US Optics. I own both S&B and USO glass and like them both. In fact my next optic will be another USO!
Just my .02$
Phillip
Local 2232

On that note and playing the devils advocate here...
You sound like you will be having two rifles in need of glass in the future. Your current one that will get work done by GAP, as well as a full GAP build correct?

It may not be on par as far as glass quality goes, but why not consider a Razor HD and be able to buy two of them instead of one Hensoldt? Swapping a scope from one rifle to another can be a pain and they are an awesome, repeatable and accurate scope with the best warranty in the business and tough as nails to boot. Something to think about...

Mike

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bacarrat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Like no other scope manufacturer has issues... We can find examples of just about any scope failing. Except for maybe the Hensoldts, but time will tell since not too many people have them yet.

My friend just had his paralax knob fall off his S&B 5-25. I think Mike at CS Tactical had his 4-16 S&B break on him 5 or 6 times already. Does that mean that S&B sends out a crap product? Absolutely not.

All the scopes listed are pretty good. You just got to choose what features best fits your needs and go from there.</div></div>

Actually, time has already been told on the Hensoldt as the company has been producing riflescopes for nearly 100 years. And your "issues" with the S&B are isolated incidents as it's been shown many times the failure rate of S&Bs are in the single digit percentages.

Savage, when your opinion is derived from experience, than please feel free to share it. When your opinion is speculation based on what you've read from the internet, please keep it to yourself.

Despite the "my friend had a ______ and it had a problem" pundits the German scopes problem rates pales in comparison to anyone else, including the beloved Nightforce. Sure, everything made by man has the opportunity to fail but that doesn't mean a ridiculous failure rate is acceptable.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bacarrat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

All the scopes listed are pretty good. You just got to choose what features best fits your needs and go from there.</div></div>

Actually, time has already been told on the Hensoldt as the company has been producing riflescopes for nearly 100 years. And your "issues" with the S&B are isolated incidents as it's been shown many times the failure rate of S&Bs are in the single digit percentages.

Savage, when your opinion is derived from experience, than please feel free to share it. When your opinion is speculation based on what you've read from the internet, please keep it to yourself.

Despite the "my friend had a ______ and it had a problem" pundits the German scopes problem rates pales in comparison to anyone else, including the beloved Nightforce. Sure, everything made by man has the opportunity to fail but that doesn't mean a ridiculous failure rate is acceptable. </div></div>

So out of the thousands of scopes S&B have produced, you know for a fact that there have been less then 10 ever problems with their scopes? Please.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bacarrat</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bacarrat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Despite the "my friend had a ______ and it had a problem" pundits the German scopes problem rates pales in comparison to anyone else, including the beloved Nightforce. Sure, everything made by man has the opportunity to fail but that doesn't mean a ridiculous failure rate is acceptable. </div></div>

So out of the thousands of scopes S&B have produced, you know for a fact that there have been less then 10 ever problems with their scopes? Please.</div></div>

I know for a fact from a personal discussion with an official S&B vendor here on the site that the issue rate for S&B returns is <10%, therefore, single digit percentages. So of the "thousands" of S&B scopes out there, the issue rate would be <10%

Please. Bring your own facts before you refute others.

Thanks everyone for the input!

Yes I'm definitely big on American made products, and actually the USO was my first choice. My Fiance' actually surprised me with a leupold mark 4 for xmas and I just couldn't do it because all I could ever find was they contained too many foreign products, Asian, to have the 'made in usa' sticker on them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ironworker21</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks everyone for the input!

Yes I'm definitely big on American made products, and actually the USO was my first choice. My Fiance' actually surprised me with a leupold mark 4 for xmas and I just couldn't do it because all I could ever find was they contained too many foreign products, Asian, to have the 'made in usa' sticker on them. </div></div>

Well best of luck to you in your endeavors and welcome to the hide!

Mike

or a 3-12 or 4-16 Hensoldt and yes I ordered the Kool-Aid 3months ago and this should be the week that the 4-16s come in with the H37!

I have seven S&B PMII's(two 5-25's) and one Hensoldt(4-16X56 FF).....been running the Hensoldt for about seven months. I'm getting pretty attached to it. I like the compact size, the ergonomics but probably the most amazing thing about it is how fast I'm able to get on target with it. The "eye box" is second to none..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bacarrat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

<span style="font-weight: bold">Savage, when your opinion is derived from experience, than please feel free to share it. When your opinion is speculation based on what you've read from the internet, please keep it to yourself.</span>

LOL. Mike, you read my mind.