PRS Talk NEW PRODUCT! IDB MARS Tripod rest

Rob01

Staff member
Minuteman
Jul 9, 2001
NC
I put this in the Armory but figured I would put it in the Competition section also for more eyes who would use it.

With more and more people using tripods as a rear rest in PRS/NRL/MARS style matches, Tony at Impact Data Books came up with an innovative idea to help them get more stable and be able to move positions easily and even have a place to set the rifle butt without it sliding. He called it the MARS(Mini Anchor Rear Support) Rest *Patent Pending*. He has different sizes for different tripods. Below is his website with them and his video showing the product.

I got to give this a try after a match today. I’m not a big tripod rear support guy but, needless to say I have one on order. It’s simple, easy to manipulate, and rock stable.

Reactions: Rob01
I put this in the Armory but figured I would put it in the Competition section also for more eyes who would use it.

With more and more people using tripods as a rear rest in PRS/NRL/MARS style matches, Tony at Impact Data Books came up with an innovative idea to help them get more stable and be able to move positions easily and even have a place to set the rifle butt without it sliding. He called it the MARS(Mini Anchor Rear Support) Rest *Patent Pending*. He has different sizes for different tripods. Below is his website with them and his video showing the product.

I guess the complicating factor would be sizing for the top leg, and then moving down onto the bigger leg. Or maybe running 2, one on each leg sized appropriately.

I guess the complicating factor would be sizing for the top leg, and then moving down onto the bigger leg. Or maybe running 2, one on each leg sized appropriately.

You can move the larger top MARS to the next size leg down as the difference is usually 4mm. It's a little sloppier of course but it works.

Tony uses a two section and has tried the largest MARS on the smaller section and it stays on and works but will slide easier of course. Using two as you mentioned would also be an option if using it a lot.

Reactions: Emerson0311
Tony uses a two section and has tried the largest MARS on the smaller section and it stays on and works but will slide easier of course. Using two as you mentioned would also be an option if using it a lot.
It would be easy to grip the leg and stop the sliding. 4” of side to side adjustment available for bag rider gives a lot of grace to tripod placement. Worst case, shooter’s forearm is still in play if the setup is not close enough.

Reactions: Rob01
But..... why? The TRS from Rauch has been around for a couple years now and hasn't really gotten any traction for a reason. Seems to me like it'll work as long as it's set up and levelled perfectly but could be pretty unforgiving if it's not, plus not controlling the left/right movement of the buttstock seems like it's inviting horizontal stringing.

Last edited:
But..... why? The TRS from Rauch has been around for a couple years now and hasn't really gotten any traction for a reason. Seems to me like it'll work as long as it's set up and levelled perfectly but could be pretty unforgiving if it's not, plus not controlling the left/right movement of the buttstock seems like it's inviting horizontal stringing.

Why? Because it’s a very stable platform to shoot off of that only moves when you move it. There will be no more angle than an arm or hand that people usually use to hold the butt.

There is no left or right movement unless you want it. The rifle butt is still in your shoulder.

If you see someone at a match with one then give it a try for yourself.

Looking for some leg sizes for any other tripods not on this list. If you have info and would like to help Please add make model and leg sizes. Prefer in MM but will take any measurement and we will convert and add to it.

Thanks for all the orders and support you are keeping us busy for sure. We look forward to seeing you use them and get feedback.
Def need BOG, FATBOY, and more RRS dimensions for sure

CURRENT LIST
BRAND
MODEL
1st Leg
2nd Leg
3rd Leg
4th Leg
Vortex SwitchbackTR-SBC
Two Vets TripodsNo Name38mm
Two Vets TripodsRecon V238mm34mm30
Two Vets TripodsInfil28mm
Two Vets TripodsVoyager28mm
Two Vets TripodsQDT42mm38mm
Two Vets TripodsKIT30mm
RRSTFCT36mm32mm28mm
RRSAscend
RRSVersa
RRSUltralight
RRSField Grade
RRSTvc-221 mk2 soar36mm32mm
RRSAnvil
Comp4040mm36mm32mm28mm
Primos Apex25mm
Manfrotto055 Alum30mm26mm24mmx
Manfrotto055 Carbon30mm24mm20mm16mm
Manfrotto190XPRO Alum26mm22mm19mmX
Manfrotto190X Alum26mm22mm19mmX
Manfrotto190 Carbon Fiber24mm22mm16mm12mm
Manfrotto057 Carbon40mm34mm30mmX
Manfrotto290 XTRA Alum26mm22mm19mmX
Manfrotto290 XTRA Carbon26mm22mm19mmx
Manfrotto190go! Alum26mm22mm19mm16mm
Manfrotto190go! Carbon26mm22mm19mm15mm
Manfrotto190XPRO Alum30mm22mm19mm16mm
Manfrotto190 Alum 3 leg26mm22mm19mm16mm
Manfrotto190 Alum 4 leg26mm22mm19mm16mm
Manfrotto290 Dual Kit26mm22mm19mmX
ManfrottoBefree GT XPRO26mm22mm19mm16mm
ManfrottoBefree Advanced Carbon22mm18mm15mm11mm
BOGDeath Grip Carbon
Death Grip Alum
Death Grip Sherpa
Camo Deathgrip
Deathgrip

Basicaly all the models have dimension of the top tube in the model designation (403 = 40mm top tube , 3 sections )
Leofoto SA-403CX+MH-60X Tubes: 40/36/32mm
Leofoto SO-362CX Inverted tube diameter: 36/40mm
Leofoto SO-322CX Inverted tube diameter: 32/36mm

As you can see 4mm is the increment from one tube to the next, and remains so in all other models they offer.

Last edited:
Reactions: NOMAD