• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

New Remington 22LR Target Custom Rifle?

Re: New Remington 22LR Target Custom Rifle?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMCCHET9296</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I wonder if you could put a standard 700 stock on that</div></div>

To me the receiver appears shorter than a standard Rem700 SA

That's definitely a 547 receiver. I looked around on Remington's site and the custom shop site and couldn't find anything on it. The only thing that gives me pause is the almost $1200 price tag. I'd be interested to see some addt'l info on these rifles.

MUST RESIST!!

I love my 40XB, but I would love to have a repeater.

However for the cost of this rifle I could drop a Nightforce on my 40XB.
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">MUST RESIST!!

I love my 40XB, but I would love to have a repeater.

However for the cost of this rifle I could drop a Nightforce on my 40XB.
wink.gif
</div></div>

I agree Lonewolf....lol. Must resist. But the $1,200 price tag helps the resisting part alot. But it's good looking rifle though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: J_Roger</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I agree with all, for that price tag, I would hold out for a 40x </div></div>
The problem is most 40X .22LRs' are single shot rifles. I want a full-size heavy barrel .22LR in an A5 to mimick my Tac Ops X-Ray 51, but refuse to use a single shot. While 40X .22LR Repeaters' do exist, they are so rare and expensive that I wouldn't take one and ruin its' Collector's value to build a trainer.

If and when you come across a <span style="font-style: italic">40X .22LR Repeater</span>, it will probably in ASIB condition, and be listed and sold in the neighborhood of $5,000.00. I don't know about you, but that is well-above my threshold for a .22LR <span style="font-style: italic">before glass</span>. Especially one that I'd too paranoid to take out and shoot for fear I'd scratch it up.

I'm waiting for the Repeater versions of the UnderGround Skunkworks Model 605 and/or the Stiller 25X RF actions. Both are full-size (like the 40X). For me it will come down to the magazine type / release and stock options.

Keith

That is the 547T which is the follow on product to the 504 line. I held one in my hands back in March at a place called Hendershots (a nationally known Cooper dealer) but bought a Cooper JSR instead. The one I held just did not look as good as the Cooper and I was aware of some of the issues Remington had with this entire 504/547 product line.

I owned a Lilja Barreled 504 which I did not like that much. It's gone. I understand that Brian Volker has built a couple of these and has concluded that they have some accuracy limitations. this is second hand info so take it for what it's worth.

I am sure it was part of the Remington 547 web page earlier this year. <span style="text-decoration: line-through">Looks like Remington pulled them from their product line.</span>

Edited to add - looks like I am wrong - while you can't find a picture on the Remington custom shop site. There is a description of this rifle here:

http://remingtoncustom.com/Rimfire.aspx

"Our Model 547 Target has an 18 1/4" stainless steel Shilen barrel with a heavy target contour. It has a target-style walnut stock built with the painstaking attention to detail that makes our Custom Shop craftsmen the best in the business"

IMHO, you can't go wrong with a Cooper. Miles ahead of a 504, 541, or 547. I'm partial to my old Kimber Model 82s'.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Original Kimber of America (Oregon-based) Model 82C Classic in .22LR:</span>
82CRSProfile18x6.jpg

82CLSProfile8x6.jpg

82CBoltRockerSafetyCU8x6.jpg

82CLSActionProfile8x6.jpg

82CKimberofAmericaProofMark8x6.jpg

Kimber82CPlacard8x6.jpg

Keith

honestly for that proce you could buy a CZ 452 or 453 varmint the 543 has the set trihher but the 452 with a trigger kit is a better option and Tom Manners is working on a stock for them now and i also think McMillan is aswell that would probably shoot better and fit the trainer requirement.

We have just got in 16 tacticool stocks for the CZ 452's here in Australia as they are and have been the most popular rimfire rifle here for over 50 years in different models.

that is a beautifull Cooper and looks like it will outshoot most people.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wild_Bill</div><div class="ubbcode-body">honestly for that proce you could buy a CZ 452 or 453 varmint the 543 has the set trihher but the 452 with a trigger kit is a better option and Tom Manners is working on a stock for them now and i also think McMillan is aswell that would probably shoot better and fit the trainer requirement.

We have just got in 16 tacticool stocks for the CZ 452's here in Australia as they are and have been the most popular rimfire rifle here for over 50 years in different models.</div></div>
Bill, I've seen photos of the "tacticool" stocks you guys have for the CZ452 and it looks pretty cool. I've also heard of an aftermarket trigger guard to replace the crappy sheetmetal one that comes on the CZ .22s', but I believe it is rather pricey. The CZ .22s' are fine rifles on their own and at great price-points, but like the CZ handguns they've always been "rough around the edges".

The CZ .22s' are accurate and inexpensive (very good!), but the price-points are a compromise on the overall product; the smoothness of action, fit & finish, and general aesthetics aren't nearly on par with my Kimbers. I looked onto getting a 452 a while back, but by the time I would have got one set-up the way I would have wanted with the Timney Trigger, tacticool stock, and trigger guard I would have been into it for about $1,000.00.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wild_Bill</div><div class="ubbcode-body">that is a beautifull Cooper and looks like it will outshoot most people.

</div></div>
Thanks Bill, but that isn't a Cooper - it is one of four Oregon Kimbers' I own. That particular rifle is a bonafide safe queen complete with the original Kimber box, User's Manual, and laminated factory test target. The inside of the barrel channel is marked <span style="font-style: italic">Super Classic</span>, but the box isn't marked as such. I have other Kimbers to shoot, so I've kept the pictured rifle as pristine as possible.

I've thought about selling it because it takes up space in the safe, but everytime I think about selling it and take it out I can't bring myself to part with it.

Keith

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Aries64</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: J_Roger</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I agree with all, for that price tag, I would hold out for a 40x </div></div>
The problem is most 40X .22LRs' are single shot rifles. I want a full-size heavy barrel .22LR in an A5 to mimick my Tac Ops X-Ray 51, but refuse to use a single shot. While 40X .22LR Repeaters' do exist, they are so rare and expensive that I wouldn't take one and ruin its' Collector's value to build a trainer.

If and when you come across a <span style="font-style: italic">40X .22LR Repeater</span>, it will probably in ASIB condition, and be listed and sold in the neighborhood of $5,000.00. I don't know about you, but that is well-above my threshold for a .22LR <span style="font-style: italic">before glass</span>. Especially one that I'd too paranoid to take out and shoot for fear I'd scratch it up.

I'm waiting for the Repeater versions of the UnderGround Skunkworks Model 605 and/or the Stiller 25X RF actions. Both are full-size (like the 40X). For me it will come down to the magazine type / release and stock options.

Keith </div></div>Touché my friend, touché

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Aries64</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That particular rifle is a bonafide safe queen complete with the original Kimber box, User's Manual, and laminated factory test target. The inside of the barrel channel is marked <span style="font-style: italic">Super Classic</span>, but the box isn't marked as such. I have other Kimbers to shoot, so I've kept the pictured rifle as pristine as possible.

I've thought about selling it because it takes up space in the safe, but everytime I think about selling it and take it out I can't bring myself to part with it.

Keith</div></div>

It shipped with a target like that and you don't shoot it weekly?

Actually, the target looks a little weird. Those bullet holes look more like 17 cal than 22.

Still, I think I would be shooting it all the time if it were mine. Nice looking stick. Makes me want to get one from the CMP, but I am holding out for another 40X. You get really good at hand feeding a single shot after a while.

Trust me;-)

Sorry Kieth my mistake not reading correctly but it is still a beautifull rifle, as for the holes int he test target looking funny the test target holes nave been pushed back when the target was laminated you can see the grey outline of the peojectile diameter there.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Carter Mayfield</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Aries64</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That particular rifle is a bonafide safe queen complete with the original Kimber box, User's Manual, and laminated factory test target. The inside of the barrel channel is marked <span style="font-style: italic">Super Classic</span>, but the box isn't marked as such. I have other Kimbers to shoot, so I've kept the pictured rifle as pristine as possible.

Keith</div></div>

It shipped with a target like that and you don't shoot it weekly?</div></div>
Nope. I have an earlier-style 82C that has a little wear on it that I shoot instead. If I get a nick in the stock I won't feel as bad and I can keep the Queen in pristine shape.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Carter Mayfield</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Actually, the target looks a little weird. Those bullet holes look more like 17 cal than 22.</div></div>
If you look at the card you can see the lead marks from the bullets, giving a better representation of the bullet diameter. While the group was shot at only 50 yards, those five shots are still a very tight group and are pretty much stacked on top of each other. The CTC is .070", which tells the real story.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Carter Mayfield</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Still, I think I would be shooting it all the time if it were mine.</div></div>
I know - I shot it a long time ago but since I have the other 82C I decided to "save the Queen".

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Carter Mayfield</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice looking stick. Makes me want to get one from the CMP, but I am holding out for another 40X. You get really good at hand feeding a single shot after a while.

Trust me;-) </div></div>

Thanks for the complement, but you know that the CMP only sells single shots, no repeaters. I know that with practice single-feeding can be quite quick, but I prefer magazines on .22 bolts. Watching my brother single-feed his Anschutz when we're taking turns dusting pieces of clay pidgeon makes me glad I have 4-shot magazines in my Model 82s'. He doesn't like it when I shoot out-of-turn.
wink.gif

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Kimber Model 82C trigger guard and magazine well area</span></span>
82CFloorplate8x6.jpg

82CMagazineWell8x6.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Kimber Model 82 4-round magazine</span></span>
82CFactoryMagazine8x6.jpg

Keith

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wild_Bill</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sorry Kieth my mistake not reading correctly but it is still a beautifull rifle,...</div></div>
No worries and thanks for the complement about my rifle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wild_Bill</div><div class="ubbcode-body">... as for the holes int he test target looking funny the test target holes nave been pushed back when the target was laminated you can see the grey outline of the peojectile diameter there.
</div></div>

Yes, as I mentioned above to <span style="font-style: italic">Carter Mayfield</span> the lead marks from the bullets are visible, and as you mentioned the holes have been pushed back, making the group appear smaller than what was actually left in the paper when the bullets passed through. It is physically-inevitable, and pretty obvious that this will occur.

The CTC measurement of .070" (seventy thousandths of an inch) is the real story. Other pertinent information such as the ammo and scope used and the fact that the group was shot indoors at 50 yards at listed as well. All Kimber Model 82 .22s' were guaranteed to shoot .400" or better at 50 yards. The Oregon-based Kimber companies tested all of their .22 rimfires this way.

Years later, after the Oregon-based Kimber of Oregon and Kimber of America companies had gone under, the Kimber name and other remaining assets were sold. The company was re-organized as <span style="font-style: italic">"Kimber of America"</span> in Yonkers, New York and within two years designed and introduced their own .22LR, the "<span style="font-style: italic">Kimber .22</span>. The new "Kimber .22" shared the same accuracy guarantee and was tested the same way. This is the Kimber company in business today, although they discontinued production of the "Kimber .22" several years ago.

Keith