• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

new Remington 700 SPS Tactical .308 Range report *

winxp_man

Firearm Pimp
Supporter
Minuteman
Jun 20, 2009
Sacto, CA
I was using the federal cheapo ammo 150 SP stuff (13.99 a box). the only thing that is upgraded is the stock its a HS Precision aluminium bedded stock. (a 5R take off)

photo1.jpg

photo2.jpg

photo3.jpg

photo4.jpg

photo5.jpg

photo6.jpg

this one was at 50 yards.
photo7.jpg

same with this one at 50 yards this was first shots.
photo8.jpg

photo9.jpg

photo10.jpg

Re: new Remington 700 SPS Tactical .308 Range repo

hehe well i had my reloads from my other .308 with me but i couldnt chamber them because the COAL was to big on the reloads and so i got stuck with just my break in shots (150 gr SP federal) .... oh well will try next time they should do real good.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cpt. obvious</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Cool. Im changing out my sps varmint with the same stock. </div></div>

did you find a stock yet and if i may ask how much ?
i got mine for 200.... i think there about 315.00 from HS

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cpt. obvious</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I got one from a member here. </div></div>

you get a good deal on it ?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: winxp_man</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cpt. obvious</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I got one from a member here. </div></div>

you get a good deal on it ? </div></div>

Did you get a good deal on yours? lol

Yeah, I got it for 200, never used.

Re: new Remington 700 SPS Tactical .308 Range report

Have you tried the 155 scenars or 175 SMK? Also, just for curiosity, do you have the velocity on these?

i have 175 reloaded that i had out there but the COAL was to big and i couldnt close the bolt cause of it and now i have to press them down a little more. as for velocities this is what i have from federal http://www.federalpremium.com/products/details/rifle.aspx?id=33

also this is a new rifle i just got it monday
laugh.gif
so far though all good......

Be curious to see how it does when you have the 175 SMK ready to go. Saw the manufactured velocity, but I think the velocity in your stick is going to be a bit slower.

uuummmmm has this ever happened to anyone i mean i have shot plenty of other people's reloads in my other .308 sps i had and not this problem.... and im begining to think its fire form. i can use a resized shell i shot from my sps tactical and i cant use the shells that i reloaded from my other sps both .308. the case is federal cases. any input?

well i guess the federal cases from what i can remember have been twice fired brass and from some reason they wont chamber all the way inside the chamber of my new rifle. i even heard that federal cases are not that great for reloading.

id say the chamber on your other rifle may have been a tiny bit bigger, hence the cases fireforming too big to fit in the current sps,

i had the same thing happen with mine and my brothers howa SS in .223, they are 1 serial number apart, after another from the factory, twins you may say, but mine wont chamber in his.....go figure, same with my new howa varmiter, wont chamber fireformed rounds from my old SS....

it is possible to FL size live rounds but i would not recommend it if you dont like having a leaky roof.....hahaaha

also if the cases have grown out of spec they may need trimming....?

cheers, jimi

im just going to reload some new rounds that i fired through the SPS Tactical...... maybe next friday or saturday i will have some more test results
laugh.gif

If you alreeady know this, please do not take offense.

SAMMI chamber specs allow some plus or minus variation. The distance from the bolt face to the shoulder in the rifle's chamber is called headspace. The shoulder is where the cartridge diameter is reduced from the cartridge body to the cartridge neck.

You can typically get a gunsmith to check the headspace on your rifle. I have never had one charge me. I think their professional ethics may be that they don't charge for what is a safety inspection.

A cartridge may not chamber because (1) the shoulder on the case is too far forward for that rifle's chamber or (2) the overall case length is excessive to fit in the space allowed for the case.

It is not unusual for # 1 to cause a problem between rifles if you are only neck sizing the cases. Cases shot in the rifle with the shorter chamber will chamber in either rifle. Cases shot in the rifle with the longer chamber will not chamber in the rifle with the shorter chamber. Full length resizing the case should take care of the problem. Not switching cases between rifles when neck sizing will also avoid the problem.

# 2 may be a problem if the overall length of the case is excessive. When a case is too long, the forward end of the chamber will crimp the front of the case neck into the bullet, preventing normal release of the bullet from the case neck when the powder ignites. This can result in high pressures possibly damaging to the rifle or the shooter's or bystander's well-being.

Trimming the case to a reloading manual "Trim to" length will take care of the problem. Typically, "Trim to" lengths are 0.010 inch less than max cartridge length. As a batch of cases are loaded and fired, a sample should be checked to see if they need trimming again.

The reloader is responsible for checking the overall cartridge length with a good caliper or case length gauge; see Brownells.com, Midway.com, etc.

After trimming, one needs to check the loaded cartridge's neck diameter after a bullet has been loaded into the neck. Excessive neck diameter can also result in dangerously high pressures. At this point the cases may be retired, or the reloader can perform inside or outside neck turning to reduce the thickness of the case neck walls.

You can get this information from practically any current reloading manual. Reloading ammunition is a not trivial matter, and one needs to become educated in the subject to create safe and effective rounds. A current reloading manual is your friend. I have used Sierra and Speer manuals over the years. Both have good general information on reloading.

I hope this helps.
smile.gif

If you were neck sizing for your other rifle that is the problem. the cases are formed to it's chamber and normally will not fit another.

Take a couple of the rounds apart and full length resize, Then try them for fit after resizing before loading.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cpt. obvious</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: winxp_man</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cpt. obvious</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I got one from a member here. </div></div>

you get a good deal on it ? </div></div>

Did you get a good deal on yours? lol

Yeah, I got it for 200, never used. </div></div>

well you scored on that stock
laugh.gif

also here are some pics of mine...........
laugh.gif

IMG_9298.jpg

IMG_9299.jpg

IMG_9300.jpg

IMG_9301.jpg

IMG_9302.jpg