• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

New rifle advice

While I’m still getting used to shooting something with a bit more punch than my .223 range gun, I can recommend a hard look at the Tikka T3X Super Varmint in 6.5 CM. Mine will practically stack one on top of another at 100 yards and no doubt in my mind would if someone who really knew what they were doing was shooting it. Also, you can probably find one for under 1.6K. I did on a Gunbroker “ Take a shot”.

• Love
Reactions: ShtrRdy
Tikka T3X or Howa 1500's are about the only "factory" rifles I'd personally buy in that price range. Howa barreled action from Brownells in a stock/chassis of your choice or a Tikka CTR in a stock/chassis of your choice is a common route people take. I've had good success with both options.

$1600 budget is also close enough for lower priced "custom" options like: Aero Precision Solus, Zermatt Arms Origin, and Mack Bros Stainless EVO II. These are worth a look too and would be a good step up over the "factory" options. If the rifle is truly going to be used for bench only, one of the "custom" actions above with a very heavy contour would serve you best.

I would almost decide between 2 paths.. Go the Howa 1500 route (lowest price) and put more money towards optics, ammo/components, etc... OR go towards the more expensive "custom" route.

Hard to say without knowing more about your situation. If you plan to shoot a lot, I can tell you, you'll eventually end up spending more on ammo then the rifle; especially at today's prices.

Tikka T3X or Howa 1500's are about the only "factory" rifles I'd personally buy in that price range. Howa barreled action from Brownells in a stock/chassis of your choice or a Tikka CTR in a stock/chassis of your choice is a common route people take. I've had good success with both options.

$1600 budget is also close enough for lower priced "custom" options like: Aero Precision Solus, Zermatt Arms Origin, and Mack Bros Stainless EVO II. These are worth a look too and would be a good step up over the "factory" options. If the rifle is truly going to be used for bench only, one of the "custom" actions above with a very heavy contour would serve you best.

I would almost decide between 2 paths.. Go the Howa 1500 route (lowest price) and put more money towards optics, ammo/components, etc... OR go towards the more expensive "custom" route.

Hard to say without knowing more about your situation. If you plan to shoot a lot, I can tell you, you'll eventually end up spending more on ammo then the rifle; especially at today's prices.
Couldn’t be more correct about the ammo cost! I had a bit of sticker shock when buying my first 6.5 Creedmoor ammo. I was used to .223 prices. It’s looking as though I’ll be fortunate in that my T3X likes a couple of more “budget friendly” factory loads.

Reactions: Harman117
Couldn’t be more correct about the ammo cost! I had a bit of sticker shock when buying my first 6.5 Creedmoor ammo. I was used to .223 prices. It’s looking as though I’ll be fortunate in that my T3X likes a couple of more “budget friendly” factory loads.
.223 would be perfect (and more challenging when the wind is blowing) for bench shooting where 600 is max.
I've got long-range caliber rifles sitting in the safe since the "long range" range closed- no point burning 70-90 grains of powder when you don't need to...

Reactions: Cody S
tikkas are nice actions and the barrels are accurate but thin in my experience. heavily consider learning on 223 remington tikka or Solus if you find a good deal, it will be nicer than the tikka.
American rifle CDG is my favorite flavor.

heavier rifles shoot easier in general. there's other important factors but just sheer weight is handy. my centerfire bench rifle weighs 30lbs. We added 10lbs of lead to my dad's tikka in creedmoor to settle it down during recoil.

.223 would be perfect (and more challenging when the wind is blowing) for bench shooting where 600 is max.
I've got long-range caliber rifles sitting in the safe since the "long range" range closed- no point burning 70-90 grains of powder when you don't need to...
I mostly shoot .223 at our range. Currently it only goes to 500 yards with plans to expand to 1K. Just said, “ What the hell, only on this rock once. “ , thus the acquisition of my Tikka T3X Super Varmint in 6.5 CM. My .223 gun is a Savage Model 12 LRPV that I have thoroughly enjoyed shooting through a little over 1300 rounds. The thing is a tank. HS Precision stock and 26” SS barrel. VERY accurate.

tikkas are nice actions and the barrels are accurate but thin in my experience. heavily consider learning on 223 remington tikka or Solus if you find a good deal, it will be nicer than the tikka.
American rifle CDG is my favorite flavor.

heavier rifles shoot easier in general. there's other important factors but just sheer weight is handy. my centerfire bench rifle weighs 30lbs. We added 10lbs of lead to my dad's tikka in creedmoor to settle it down during recoil.
My Savage 12 LRPV has a barrel like a truck axle. In all honesty, I haven’t weighed it but it’s got to be 12-13 lbs all up.

• Haha
Reactions: spife7980
My Savage 12 LRPV has a barrel like a truck axle. In all honesty, I haven’t weighed it but it’s got to be 12-13 lbs all up.
That's fairly light, my lighter weight precision rifle I built mainly as a hunting rifle is 14.7 pounds with atlas PSR bipod and loaded 10 round magazine.
That's with a medium palma finished at 24".

That's fairly light, my lighter weight precision rifle I built mainly as a hunting rifle is 14.7 pounds with atlas PSR bipod and loaded 10 round magazine.
That's with a medium palma finished at 24".
LOL! When you get older like me, 12-13lbs feels heavier than it did a few years back! Also, Savage markets the LRPV as a hunting gun as opposed to a precision target gun.

• Haha
Reactions: XLR308