• #0001 Limited edition launch patch (only 200 available)

Grab a limited edition patch and use code AMERICA24 for 20% off all merch

Grab your patch

New Rifle Build......need magazine recommendations.

BowChamp

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Apr 2, 2023
United States
I'm having a Rem. 700 ADL short action rebarreled to 6.5 Creedmoor. I'm going to drop it into a MDT ACC Premier Chassis. This rifle will be used for 1000yd. benchrest and some prone shooting. No hunting or lugging through the woods.

This is where I need help.......My understanding is I will be able to use AICS type magazines. I have no experience with or knowledge on this type of magazine.

Who makes a good magazine I will not have trouble with?

Should I get metal or polymer?

Is there a magazine rounds capacity that works better than others?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!!

I've had great service with the Magpul AICS magazines, the Accurate brand and actual AI AICS mags. The big question is if reloading and depending on bullet choice and OAL, the metal mags usually have more internal length. Since you are using the MDT chassis, just use the MDT brand.

Reactions: BowChamp
I've had great service with the Magpul AICS magazines, the Accurate brand and actual AI AICS mags. The big question is if reloading and depending on bullet choice and OAL, the metal mags usually have more internal length. Since you are using the MDT chassis, just use the MDT brand.
I will be reloading. I'll check into the MDT mags.

Thanks!

SIG's Magpul 5 rounder is good (possibly, best) if you are single feeding off the bench.

It has a single-feeding follower that was pretty unique when it was launched, although I'm nort sure if its still exclusive to SIGs branding.
This rifle will be used for 1000yd. benchrest and some prone shooting. No hunting or lugging through the woods.

Yup don't get polymer mags as they will limit your OAL if loading. MDT, AI or Accurate is about the list I would say. The 10 round MDT is a little shorter if that matters.
Definitely going to be reloading. Thinking the MDT metal 10rd mags are what I'm looking for.

I've been doing some digging and running into something called a binder plate....any ideas, thoughts?

Thanks!

SIG's Magpul 5 rounder is good (possibly, best) if you are single feeding off the bench.

It has a single-feeding follower that was pretty unique when it was launched, although I'm nort sure if its still exclusive to SIGs branding.
When starting this project I was going between single shot for simplicity or mag fed because of the chassis that will be used.

Decided on mag fed with the hopes of being able to single feed if I wanted. Thanks for the suggestion on single feed option!

Definitely going to be reloading. Thinking the MDT metal 10rd mags are what I'm looking for.

I've been doing some digging and running into something called a binder plate....any ideas, thoughts?

Thanks!

As you can see in that pic, the binder plate is in the inside front of the magazine. Without it you get longer OAL and with it you are usually limited to about 2.870" which is still pretty good.

Rob may know more on this but be careful and there may be an explanation reference some rifles may have a pronounced feed ramp that could interfere with feeding from a mag w/o the plate?

Yup that's true especially factory 700s which can only go to about 2.820" unless you get the feed ramp ground back. Most custom actions though already account for this and allow for longer OAL.

Question for all....What is a binder plate? Thinking I might need them in my mags for my Rem action. Not sure if it has something to do with the age of my action...1969 Remington factory production.

Thanks!
Just buy the cheap Magpul. No use spending 3x the money for extra length you can't use.

If you do need the extra length you'll need to get the feed ramp on the action ground down to clear the bullet tips using that extra length.