New Rifle Day, aka educate the n00b (me) (ahem, take 2)

legobuff

Private
Minuteman
Feb 21, 2020
Papillion, NE
legobuff.com
Good day all. Posted this in "The Bear Pit" and was directed to post elsewhere... so here goes...

I am starting my precision rifle journey... as such I placed an order for a new rifle and I am anxiously awaiting it's arrival. I been shooting for years... mainly pistol with a smattering of skeet and an odd deer hunt thrown in from time to time.

I am a n00b when it comes to rifles and eager to learn, as such, please treat me like a child.

When my new rifle arrives, what should OR shouldn't I do? I assume cleaning and head out to zero but is there a "recommended" process I should follow? I'm a data geek, should I log/document my shots? Basically since I am so new, I am trying to learn from you all and not get down the road and realize I should have done X or made note of Y.

So, long story short, if you're willing, teach the n00b and give him constructive criticism.

Thank you all.

While you are waiting go get yourself a decent quality 22 rimfire with a 20 moa rail, a decent first focal plane scope, good quality ammo, and practice, practice, practice.

Research rifle shooting fundamentals, concentrate on following through with every shot, and when you got it down go shoot farther out, like 100Y to 300Y.

Check out the SH Online Training. It's subscription-based; when I was using it, the monthly cost was $15 - a huge bargain.

To subscribe, click on your account icon at the upper-right of the the SH browser window (to the left of the private message "envelope"). Then click on "Account Upgrades." You'll see the Online Training in there.

Use it as long as you like, then unsubscribe.

Reactions: legobuff
Honestly the best advice I can give you is take a class taught by a professional instructor. The good news is that (1) there are many great instructors (2) teaching all over this great country of ours and (3) the Hide has a sub forum dedicated to instruction (called Training/Classes). Looks like you are from Nebraska so I can't help you with a specific class/instructor in your AO, but I'm sure many folks on here can.

This will get you up to speed to the point where you can start asking more specific questions than "how do I shot a precision rifle"? And the return on your investment will be better than if you just start buying gear randomly that you see recommended here.

Best of luck on your journey!

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: jasent and legobuff
I just started shooting about two years ago and in that time I have bought and sold a lot of equipment. “Buy once cry once” is a reality and now I live by it, specially when it comes to optics. Get yourself the best scope you can afford and dont look back, after that is all practice, YouTube videos, forums and some more practice.

Start your data books now.

I started with a cheaper rifle and ran one cartridge in that rifle for 8-9 years before I upgraded.

I didn’t waste much money in between searching for what I liked because as I shot more and got better I had a much better idea of what I wanted and built my custom rifle after I had a fixed set of features I wanted.

Reactions: lash and legobuff
We need a budget for both the rifle and the scope before we can make the appropriate recommendation.

You didn't get back with a budget so....

Minimum IMO, in regards to 22rf bolt rifle, would be a CZ457, a 20 moa base, and a Athlon Argos BTR Gen2 6-24x50.

Next up in price would be a Anschutz MPR, same base angle, and a Athlon Midas TAC 6-24x50.

Next, a Vudoo, a 30 moa base, and a Athlon Cronus BTR.

Go crazy - get a Anschutz 1727F, whatever base will fit, and a ZCO 5-27.

You didn't get back with a budget so....

Minimum IMO, in regards to 22rf bolt rifle, would be a CZ457, a 20 moa base, and a Athlon Argos BTR Gen2 6-24x50.

Next up in price would be a Anschutz MPR, same base angle, and a Athlon Midas TAC 6-24x50.

Next, a Vudoo, a 30 moa base, and a Athlon Cronus BTR.

Go crazy - get a Anschutz 1727F, whatever base will fit, and a ZCO 5-27.

Sorry I've been delayed. I'll start looking in to the Savage mentioned above and the rifles you listed here. Being new to rifles, not sure what a decent .22 price range would be. I currently own two rifles, 5.56 and 6.5 CM, with the .300 PRC coming. I appreciate the feedback above and I am keen to picking up a .22 to practice and working to build good habits

Well legobuff, I too am new to long range. That said, I handload my own ammo, use chronographs, etc. Hit 12" target at 1200 yards with a 270 on my first try (not my first shot though.) That was a $600 rig. Next trip to the long range, after some preparation, hit the same target at a mile (again, not the first shot.) That was about a $700 rig. Both were my ammo. Now looking to spend big $ on custom rifle. Learn cheep before you dump big cash.

I've been really happy with my Tikka T1X for rimfire. Makes a great trainer and will drop into most stocks/chassis made for the centerfire T3.

Shooting rimfire will allow you to see where your problems are with basic fundamentals. To shoot at the ranges you want to be at with the 300PRC, you want your fundamentals to be second nature.

A decent rimfire trainer will allow you to do this without costing a fortune. Get your fundamentals down, it's going to take a lot of practice. But be persistent, work at it and you can get there in time. I would suggest a medium cartridge, 6CM, 6.5CM are good ones off the top of my head.

Be careful starting out on the 300PRC it may induce flinch without building up to it. Even the most minuscule movement or inconsistency at longer ranged will make it impossible to diagnose other issues.

Reactions: b2lee
I've had to go back recently with some 22lr and revisit my fundamentals. I noticed some poor trigger discipline with the 300PRC since I'm shooting a 22lb rifle with an 8oz trigger....spent 2 hours yesterday dry firing to help...probably another hour or so today...and then some 22lr practice at the range.

Reactions: jasent