New Rifle Day, aka educate the n00b (me)

legobuff

Private
Minuteman
Feb 21, 2020
Papillion, NE
legobuff.com
Good day all.

I am starting my precision rifle journey... as such I placed an order for a new rifle and I am anxiously awaiting it's arrival. I been shooting for years... mainly pistol with a smattering of skeet and an odd deer hunt thrown in from time to time.

I am a n00b when it comes to rifles and eager to learn, as such, please treat me like a child.

When my new rifle arrives, what should OR shouldn't I do? I assume cleaning and head out to zero but is there a "recommended" process I should follow? I'm a data geek, should I log/document my shots? Basically since I am so new, I am trying to learn from you all and not get down the road and realize I should have done X or made note of Y.

So, long story short, if you're willing, teach the n00b and give him constructive criticism.

Thank you all.

Depending on action-semi-auto or bolt-there are dedicated forums above. There is also an extreme long range forum. These are where you need to go and read and ask questions. This forum is where people talk sh!t :D

Well I wan't quite sure where to post this, I didn't think new member was quite right and the others seem more specific too... So I chose here and talking shit works as well. I'll do the copy/paste dance and try in another forum though. ?

Well you already screwed up. You should have asked here before you purchased. 2/3's of the replies would have scolded you on the caliber you chose, the rifle manufacturer, the weight, your intended usage, etc etc etc

With that out of the way. More details are needed about what rifle you bought, do you intend to hand load rounds, and what's your overall budget??

Well I purchased a BadRock South Fork in .300 PRC. Intended usage would be long range precision classes and one day going out to a mile or a bit beyond. Short version it will be a toy for me to learn. Albeit I am hoping it is a "turn key" approach that doesn't require much upgrading as I progress and learn.

As far as hand loading... I've thought about it, but I do not right now and tbh, won't be able to take the time to learn to do so for awhile.

Wecome OP. Looks like a very nice rifle congrats.

Like others have said, clean it good. Clean the bore to remove and leftovers from manufacturing, dust or whatever. I also field strip and clean the main parts, bolt, reciever, etc and apply light fresh oil to contact points.

I do not really subscribe to to the whole break-in routine. I will run some dry patches (until they come out mostly clean) every few shots on a new barrel. Im sure others disagree and scrub the mfer every shot the first 100. There is lots of info out there on "proper" barrel break-in and the manufacturer may have recommendations as well...

Also will need a few types of ammo to see what your rifle likes best. Do some research and the manufacturer may also have a recommendation here as well.

I do log my shots and I do not handload. I log my shots so I can create quick reference tables for scope adjustment out to 1350 yards. This way I can move quicker between the know distance targets. Plus everyone else does it, so why not..LoL.

Most important is to have fun. And if possible try to get a non shooter interested in the sport. Oh, and lastly...ignore the haters. :)

Last edited:
Hate to say it but you probably should have got something other then a 300prc. Reasons being many. You are new to rifles, limited ammo, recoil and last but not least barrel life. I’m not trying to be the ass but to be good at this game requires lots of shooting. 300 prc last I knew only has a handful of factory loads , so unless you reload you are limited. It has more recoil then others. This can lead to flinching and other bad habits that can be hard to break. Like I said you have to shoot a lot which with a magnum means a short barrel life. Depending on how you run it as short as less than a thousand rounds. Could be two thousand it all depends. I personally shoot around a hundred rounds a week. And I know there is guys here shooting way more. I’m not trying to discourage you just saying like someone already said should have made a post before ordering. We could have helped guide you in a different direction that might have got you in a better direction.

Reactions: HiDesertELR
Hate to say it but you probably should have got something other then a 300prc. (snip)

I have a 300 PRC barrel for my AX-MC with an Area 419 Sidewinder brake and love it. Recoil is mellow but the AX is heavy, as is the barrel (30", Sendero) and scope (Gen 2 Razor). You are right that factory ammo is limited but the Hornady 225 shoots pretty well and isn't horribly expensive - about $2 per round. OP: be disciplined and give 3 or maybe 5 minutes between shots for the chamber to cool and I bet you get around 2K rounds out of the barrel.

Maybe consider for your next rifle purchase at trainer like a 223 or 6.5CM that costs less per trigger pull.

Reactions: legobuff
300 PRC is a good caliber and will shoot to your desired range and further.

You will probably begin loading for it once you see Ammo prices. When you make that leap, keep an eye out in the PX here for a good deal on a press and such. Link up with someone local to you who reloads for precision rifle and it will only take you about a day to learn.

I have a 300 PRC barrel for my AX-MC with an Area 419 Sidewinder brake and love it. Recoil is mellow but the AX is heavy, as is the barrel (30", Sendero) and scope (Gen 2 Razor). You are right that factory ammo is limited but the Hornady 225 shoots pretty well and isn't horribly expensive - about $2 per round. OP: be disciplined and give 3 or maybe 5 minutes between shots for the chamber to cool and I bet you get around 2K rounds out of the barrel.

Maybe consider for your next rifle purchase at trainer like a 223 or 6.5CM that costs less per trigger pull.
I agree with you. I’m shooting hot loads with 225 eld in my 300 win. Which isn’t a AXMC but is in a ax chassis pva sidewinder and mtu contour. I have no problem but I have also been playing this game for thirty years. The point I was trying to get at was there are way better options for a noobie to begin with.

I agree with you. I’m shooting hot loads with 225 eld in my 300 win. Which isn’t a AXMC but is in a ax chassis pva sidewinder and mtu contour. I have no problem but I have also been playing this game for thirty years. The point I was trying to get at was there are way better options for a noobie to begin with.

I totally follow the rationale, thus the recommendation to snag a trainer next. But the Bad Rock looks to be a fine rifle (I'm planning to order one soon in 6.5 PRC) and can be used as an excuse to buy a smaller caliber for one of many possible excuses, like ammo cost.

Good day all.

I am starting my precision rifle journey... as such I placed an order for a new rifle and I am anxiously awaiting it's arrival. I been shooting for years... mainly pistol with a smattering of skeet and an odd deer hunt thrown in from time to time.

I am a n00b when it comes to rifles and eager to learn, as such, please treat me like a child.

When my new rifle arrives, what should OR shouldn't I do? I assume cleaning and head out to zero but is there a "recommended" process I should follow? I'm a data geek, should I log/document my shots? Basically since I am so new, I am trying to learn from you all and not get down the road and realize I should have done X or made note of Y.

So, long story short, if you're willing, teach the n00b and give him constructive criticism.

Thank you all.
I see you are in NE, the first thing I would do is call Mile high and get signed up for one of @lowlight classes. He will get you started on the right path.

Lots of good info here. I'd add get a good muzzle brake, double up on ear pro.

I started on 300WM, but am going back to 308 to work on the basics. I'm not that recoil sensitive, but regardless, the rifle moves, and unless you're perfect behind it, it's hard to get great groups consistently.

So.... Dry fire practice with building position and trigger control, get your scope mounted correctly and eye relief set for all positions (kneeling, standing, prone etc).

And yes, take a class... Bad habits are hard to break.

Last edited:
I'd start with a field-strip, run a patch through the barrel, and reassemble with lubricants that are appropriate for your local conditions.

Barrels can be broken in by firing a round, cycling the bolt, and firing another round. Repeat until you are out of ammo or targets.

I do not subscribe to the concept of recording each and every shot, but I feel that it is important to take good notes on each shooting session. At the very least, log the type and number of rounds fired, the environmental conditions (air conditions, lighting, etc.), and the elevation and windage adjustments that were employed. If you don't log this info, you'll struggle to achieve any sort of repeatability.

Training is always a valuable investment - it's way cheaper than learning to do things the wrong way and then trying to undo the damage.

Good day all.

I am starting my precision rifle journey... as such I placed an order for a new rifle and I am anxiously awaiting it's arrival.

See if itsn't too late to change your order to same in 6.5 Creedmoor. Seriously. Call tomorrow.

Do it if they let you, even if you have to pay a couple hundos for a new barrel blank

Hate to say it but you probably should have got something other then a 300prc. Reasons being many. You are new to rifles, limited ammo, recoil and last but not least barrel life. I’m not trying to be the ass but to be good at this game requires lots of shooting. 300 prc last I knew only has a handful of factory loads , so unless you reload you are limited. It has more recoil then others. This can lead to flinching and other bad habits that can be hard to break. Like I said you have to shoot a lot which with a magnum means a short barrel life. Depending on how you run it as short as less than a thousand rounds. Could be two thousand it all depends. I personally shoot around a hundred rounds a week. And I know there is guys here shooting way more. I’m not trying to discourage you just saying like someone already said should have made a post before ordering. We could have helped guide you in a different direction that might have got you in a better direction.

Appreciate the guidance and no worries. I said treat me like a child and gave not much information. I have other rifles, and I am not new to shooting, but am new to rifles as a serious endeavor. Ive taken precision rifle courses and carbine courses, but they were a day here and there with little to no practice afterwards. I’ve focused time in the past around gaining knowledge and skills with handguns. Now I’m transitioning to rifles. I’ve two precision rifle courses booked for April. I prefer not to stay idle, so while I wait for my new rifle to get to me, figured I start reading and getting advice / direction from those that have the skills to help jump start myself.

Appreciate the guidance and no worries. I said treat me like a child and gave not much information. I have other rifles, and I am not new to shooting, but am new to rifles as a serious endeavor. Ive taken precision rifle courses and carbine courses, but they were a day here and there with little to no practice afterwards. I’ve focused time in the past around gaining knowledge and skills with handguns. Now I’m transitioning to rifles. I’ve two precision rifle courses booked for April. I prefer not to stay idle, so while I wait for my new rifle to get to me, figured I start reading and getting advice / direction from those that have the skills to help jump start myself.
Now you tell us. So I typed all that for nothing? That’s a good one guy. Lol in that case enjoy your new rifle I’m sure it will treat you well.

Well Lego, the question no one seems to ask is what exactly would you like to do with this mysterious new rifle?

Do you want to shoot long range F-class matches?

Do you want to shoot Precision rifle series matches?

Do you want to find a range longer than 200 yds and just shoot?

Are you dreaming of coming out west and shooting an elk at 800 yds?

Hoping to shoot across the course mid-range NRA?

While everyone can suggest a caliber like .300 PRC, it is a caliber that can disappear from commercial production in an instant if the fickle world of precision shooting abandons it. Maybe a nice, now pedestrian 6.5 Creedmoor would be more in line with your dreams? Or an extremely common .300 Win Mag? Easy to reload, easy to find components and brass for too.

Get a nice notebook or Rite-in-the-Rain logbook and keep track of the info you learn for your rifle and bullet. Weather conditions, wind conditions, elevation, bullet weight, velocity, brand of ammo, distance and sight settings, results and opinion notes, round count is handy.

Magnum calibers eat barrels quicker, calibers that mimic magnum caliber like .300 PRC still eat barrels quicker. A mild 6.5 or .308 can last 7,500 rounds in a high quality barrel. Yes, .308 still hammers nicely. A 6.5 might drop 3 inches less at 600 yds and buck the wind a bit better but an easy to reload .308 still has plenty of game.

Careful buying glass. A great $2,500 dollar scope is worth about $1,500 bucks once you put it on a rifle. Picking the most expensive thing can get really spendy quickly. Think about the end game. Do you need a Nightforce scope out of the gate when a Vortex will do for now?

Post a pic when you build your dream gun along with some test targets.

Good day all.

Thank you all.
Just remember to have FUN this is after all not a job and at the end of the day! I am very new to precision rifle endeavors and would highly suggest putting a feeler out to see if you might have any local Hiders. I met up with a local @Mike Casselton who has forgotten more in a week than I'll probably ever know. The knowledge curve in all things has been greatly accelerated on a lot of topics that would likely frustrate most of us to where it ain't as fun. Shoot your PRC, have fun and remember: the correct number of firearms to own is n+1! As was pointed out $$ doesn't win it all. My entire 6.5 setup head to toe is all used and hilariously at just under $1,400....it shoots way better than that. I shopped around a lot for sure and found smoking deals, but my point is you don't need to drop insane amounts of money to get started learning and having a great time doing it.

Last edited:
Check your area for local ranges and matches. Find a mentor.

You're in a good area, as the Bighorn Steel Classic is just down the road from you (literally). I have only been there for the match, but the locals I stayed with (old high school friend) mentioned a couple ranges around the Cedar Creek area...

Welcome to the hide. My 13 pound 300 Winchester gets to be a lot of rifle after long shot strings. I have an APA fat bastard (the most recoil reduction of any muzzle brake at the time I bought it) and a limbsaver recoil pad on the butt end.

The 300 PRC is awesome, and I hope yours is heavy enough to work for you and not cause you problems.