New style handguards and front sights

HPMike800

Private
Minuteman
Apr 27, 2011
Phoenix, Az
I'm in the middle of a 16" carbine build. I'm using irons as my primary sight and It looks as though I'm going to have to use a rail mounted fixed front. I'm looking at the new smooth side / top rail handguards. Most of them (Troy, MI, Samson) all use a bushing that clamps over the stock barrel nut. Great for an easy install, but, it doesn't look too solid to me.

Since i'm using irons, I can't afford to have any movement in the handguard. Do these things stay put? Really put?

On a 16" barrel with a hidden gas block what's longest handguard guard that can be used? What length bumps an A2 sight on a rifle gas system.

The exception is the Seekens (looks very good to me)unit but that's hard to find.

Thanks
Mike

Re: New style handguards and front sights

Just a suggestion here. I have a 10.5" LMT that only has irons, use an A2 front site/gas block (I use a JP Adjustable since the rifle is suppresed) and a rear of your choice monted on the receiver and you'll take the hand guard out of the equation.

Rifle with a carbine length gas tube and an A2 front sight uses a 7" free float tube.

If you're using a low-profile gas block, you can use any free float tube you want.

I'd stay away from the Troy Ind MRF rails. I haven't had good luck with them (threading in the rail stripped in the 2 that I owned).

PRI has up to 15" tubes in what you're looking for. Carbon fiber is $ though.

On a 20" barrel the gas port is at 13" so a 12" is considered rifle length. You just need a low profile gas block to fit under whatever you go with.

I have a 16" carbine with rifle length A2 front sight and rifle handguards. The gas system is carbine length.

It's a Bushmaster upper I bought, but you could probably build similar if it suits you.

I put Magpul MOE handguards on it.

PB010002.jpg

CopyofP4050079.jpg

I just built a 300BLK pistol (until my stamp comes back) and used a 12" Seekins MCSR hand guard with a 8" barrel. When my stamp gets back I'll scoot the rear sight back, but for now I have to have it a little farther away from my face. They also make a 15" one.

SAM_0035.jpg

SAM_0036.jpg

MM
Interestig set up. I never thought of usig an A2 FS ahead of the gas port. Every inch of radius helps especially after about 35. I'll have to see if the barrel contour I have coming will mount it. I may do it.

Do you have a problem with the sight getting bumped around being that close to the muzzle? I shoot NRA match rifle and the front sights at the muzzle can get bumped around if your not carefull with the muzzle.

The MCSR came in. Seekens makes very nice stuff.

If it's a 16", get whatever gas system you want, and put whatever rail on it you want. Just use a lo-pro gas block.

If you're willing to step up in barrel length, you can go up to rifle length gas system. Someone, I think MSTN, has had good luck with 17" or 18" barrels with rifle gas but I don't remember particulars.

The rifle that MontanaMarine posted is a dissipator style. Carbine-length gas system, front sight block pinned in the rifle-length position.

HPIM0857.jpg

MI SS gen 1 is what I use. They're sturdy enough to rest them on bags at the range or barricades when shooting from cover without effecting the zero of your iron sights.

PM me if your interested in the SS9 that is on the 300 blackout SBR in the picture. I may be going a little longer on that gun to cover my suppressor.