New to ELR, penny for your thoughts

JimJoeBob

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
May 10, 2020
New to the hide but I've been shooting for years. I plan to get into ELR after my rotation in Korea because I'll have some money to burn. I'm considering getting into a Barrett MRAD and getting 300norma, 338norma and either a 6.5cm or 6cm barrels for it just to swap calibers to fit my needs. I really like those rifles and I like having one system in multiple calibers. Any advice or thoughts? Also I may or may not hunt with it, I understand it's heavy but that ain't much of a problem for me. Also I handload too just to give more info on me.

If you haven't read the MRAD thread in the bolt action rifles sub-forum, dig into that. There are plenty of MRAD fans on the Hide and I can understand why. A couple of years ago I compared the MRAD to the AI AX MC, went with the AI and have loved it. Part of the AI decision was due to Mile High Shooting being so close by.

I have shot with 2 guys that had MRADS ( didn't like it), I shoot AI-PSR 338LM and comparing the 2 the AI was better. The barrel availability is way better for the AI and many smith's can spin you up a barrel in what ever caliber you want. I With what the AXMC are selling for you can't go wrong

[QUOTE="
MRAD is American made, availability has gotten better. very nice rifle as well.
[/QUOTE]
Those are all good calibers for the MRAD; just don’t get one that requires you carry a mallet. I’ve shot them and like them. That being said, you can’t go wrong with any of the AI’s.

[QUOTE="
MRAD is American made, availability has gotten better. very nice rifle as well.
Those are all good calibers for the MRAD; just don’t get one that requires you carry a mallet. I’ve shot them and like them. That being said, you can’t go wrong with any of the AI’s.
[/QUOTE]
What do you mean by requires a mallet? I know the generation two ones swap barrels super fast. I remember there was something for the gen 1s that require an insert.

I'll have to check out the AI rifles.