New to ELR some basic advice

BamiTactical

Private
Minuteman
Jan 17, 2020
hello everyone!! I am a 3 gunner but have found a new found love in ELR. It is so awesome!!

Anyways. I am in the process of building (upgrading my intro setup) an ELR bolt action rifle (300WM or 300 NM) with decent glass (Razor/ATACR). I have a basic 4-16x44 but want to upgrade that...

1. when I upgrade to ATACR or Razor Glass should I get a "bigger" scope?
2. How much does weight really matter in ELR? I typically go for the lightest setup but does this apply for PRS or recreational shooting?
3. How much magnification do I really need? ie. 3-18/4-20x perfect or do I need 5-25x or 7-35x
4. I am using my reticle and hold off more and more... is a christmas tree style reticle a MUST?

Thanks in advance for sharing your wisdom and knowledge.

1-big tubes yield more elevation and you want elevation.
2-weight is nice, easier to shoot.
I’d definitely stay above 14# but 18-19# is nice.
3-hitting a 18” plate at a mile with 16x is totally doable but I prefer more for further distances and spotting.
4-tree is nice for an adjusted follow up shot.

I am not a high magnification guy. I have shot an ATV tire size target at 1600 with a 16x scope. More magnification can be a hindrance in some cases. Look for a bigger tube with lots of internal adjustment, and figure out what MOA base will get you the most benefit 20, 30, 40, whatever will gain you more of that elevation adjustment without sacrificing close in adjustment.

As for weaight if you don't ever plan to cary the thing in to the back country hunting or anything make it as heavy as it needs to be. If you are going to sling it long distance keep it as heavy as you cam comfortably cary whatever distance.

1. Get a good ballistic program, wind gauge/ weather gauge and range finder
2. The 300NM will preform out past 2000 yards with all the need bullets available and good factory ammo if you don't reload
3. I know guys are using the 7-35 ATACR passed 2 miles so its a good choice as is the 4.5-27 HD2. I use the H59 which is close to the MIL-XT
4. Heavy duty bipod is a must, I use a Accu-Tac HD-50 on both my .338LM and 375CT. The new Atlas looks good also.
5. Work of fundamentals and don't get frustrated.
Good luck!!

A tree reticle adds elevation hold along with the obvious hold over corrections.

So if you go with a 7-35x ATACR and get lucky and have a pinch over 36mils of travel, you might get away with using 60MOA base/mount to take advantage of the the full 36mils with a 100yd zero.
At 15x zoom with the Mil-XT reticle, you can comfortably use 12mils of hold over.

so you now have roughly 48mils of usable elevation for making the long shots.

Last edited:
Partnership is extremely important for ELR. Helping to spot hits and misses, call wind, etc., is a big part of getting on target and understanding your gun as conditions vary. Sometimes a partner's different perception or point of view is enough to help you solve a problem that has you stumped.

Reactions: camotoe
Partnership is extremely important for ELR. Helping to spot hits and misses, call wind, etc., is a big part of getting on target and understanding your gun as conditions vary. Sometimes a partner's different perception or point of view is enough to help you solve a problem that has you stumped.
^^^This^^^

This is the most true statement I've read on advise for success in ELR! My friend/spotter Travis gets 95% of the credit on all of my really long impacts.
20191109_161625.jpg

Just got my 7-35x ATACR back from warranty due to zero clutch issues. I have 37.5Mils. My 7-35x on my PRS rifle has about 36.4mils if I remember correctly. Anyways I’m super happy cause that means my 60moa base and a 100yd zero should work without any issues

Just got my 7-35x ATACR back from warranty due to zero clutch issues. I have 37.5Mils. My 7-35x on my PRS rifle has about 36.4mils if I remember correctly. Anyways I’m super happy cause that means my 60moa base and a 100yd zero should work without any issues
You'll be close. Damn close.

You'll be close. Damn close.

ill have a little over a mil to spare. before I found out the zero clutch was broken, I was at 36.4mils and needed 36.6 mils to zero at 100yds. So somehow I got lucky with the warranty return because I got an extra mil out of it lol. Assuming it tracks correctly cause now I have trust issues -_-

ill have a little over a mil to spare. before I found out the zero clutch was broken, I was at 36.4mils and needed 36.6 mils to zero at 100yds. So somehow I got lucky with the warranty return because I got an extra mil out of it lol. Assuming it tracks correctly cause now I have trust issues -_-
It's more that a scope doesnt always zero at the physical center. So that 60 moa/18 mil, which is half of 36. But your zero may be 2 mil below its total travel center

Not always. But its common. So you may need to zero 1mil high at 100 for example

Reactions: Steel head
Thanks everyone. I really really appreciate everyone's two cents and help. This forum is a very good community with so much knowledge and experience.

One thing I learned in this past week was how much $$$ this sport costs... everything costs more due to bigger caliber/rifle/optics...

I have another silly question if anyone could chime in...

What rifle calibers should I consider for a 1 mile shot? I reload and have a single stage turret press which I use to reload my other rifle calibers... I was leaning towards 300 WM due to popularity and availability but I no longer think its the capable for a 1 mile shot consistently. Then I looked into 300 Norma and 338 Lapua ... 338 Norma... somebody mentioned 300 Sherman?? So many choices... I know there is more than 1 way to skin a cat and Im sure many folks here can shoot well no matter what rife caliber they use. Thanks for your comments in advance!

Item #2 of your post mentioned PRS.

Are you are going to use this rifle for both ELR and PRS?

You can get to mile with 300WM or any larger caliber like you mentioned but they likely wont be an options for PRS.

Many of the PRS cartridges "can get you there" you may want to better narrow down your goal with the rifle. Just shooting a mile is one thing. High hit percentage at 1 mile becomes another thing.

This is the most true statement I've read on advise for success in ELR! My friend/spotter Travis gets 95% of the credit on all of my really long impacts.

I would have to say this is more like 98% for me. Travis has a crystal ball when it comes to wind. He can tell you what the wind is like at the target a few seconds into the future...:) All do is hold where he tells me to hold, close my eyes, and ease the trigger...:)

Reactions: MACHTECH

I almost like spotting as much as I do shooting. Almost...

Thanks everyone for your humility and time. I am grateful for this forum.

One last question. I currently have a 6.5 CM and shot up to 1k.

If my next goal is 1 mile would 300WM be the right caliber or do I have to move up to 300 Norma Mag or 338 Lapua Magnum?

Trying to be cost effective but also REALISTIC in ballistic/range capabilities. Currently I use a single stage turret press for my 6.5 CMs and they cost me abourtb 70 cents a piece with ELD-M and recycled brass.

I've shot my 6.5 CM out to 1,300 yards. I do believe that is about it for that cartridge....

My first choice up was t go 300 NM. I still may do that but my AXMC came in 338 LM and I have become quite enamored with this caliber. When shooting a 250 grain Scenar, it is nothing short of magical. Not a big fan of the 300 grain. I just think it is too much for this caliber. I want to try some 285s and I will.

I only have taken it to 1,000 yards so far since it is winter but hope to stretch it out to a mile and beyond in the spring.

Thanks everyone for your humility and time. I am grateful for this forum.

One last question. I currently have a 6.5 CM and shot up to 1k.

If my next goal is 1 mile would 300WM be the right caliber or do I have to move up to 300 Norma Mag or 338 Lapua Magnum?

Trying to be cost effective but also REALISTIC in ballistic/range capabilities. Currently I use a single stage turret press for my 6.5 CMs and they cost me abourtb 70 cents a piece with ELD-M and recycled brass.
You should seriously try the 6.5 at a mile
You might be surprised.

I shoot a 300 win mag i built it for 1 mile. Rem 700 28inch barrel alot of free bore my oal 3.787 have to single shot it I run the 225eldm at 2929 takes me 15.8 mils but i live in colorado. The brass is cheaper for the 300 win mag. Also i use a m5xi Steiner 3 15 50 with tremor 2 it works great but sometimes i would love a 20 power atleast. I strictly dial elevation and dial wind. I also have a 6.5x55 shot it a mile and had a 280ai shot it 1 mile they all get there the 280 ai and 300 are easier in my experience but the 6.5 was no slouch