New to long range,,,,,

drafter

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 28, 2013
North Carolina
I recently bought a Remington 5R and put a Nightforce on it, hoping to get into long distance shooting. Haven't even had it out yet and I run across a good deal on the gun/scope below. When I asked the p.o. what yardage he had it zero'd at, he told me it's set at 1 mile???? Seriously, a mile zero? Anyone ever heard of this, is it normal? HE had it to BAng Steel in VA and hit steel at 1 mile 200 yards, he said. And I plan to start with the Remington 5R at about 300 yards and move up as I increase skills.
Here's the longer distance rig.......

Armalite AR-30 chambered in .338 Lapua

Vortex Viper PST-624F1-A 6-24 x50FFP EBR-1 MOA

Vortex Bubble Level

30 min American Defense Scope mount for extreme long range.

Magpul PRS butt stock

ALLIED PRECISION ARMS bipod

ALLIED PRECISION ARMS Anti-Cant Device

Pelican 1750 Case w/foam

You are kidding right? No, it's not normal, nor likely real.

If you are not, then know that this guy is bullshitting you and you fell into the ELR wannabe trap. Not bashing you, as it's easy to get carried away and want to "get out there", but do yourself a favor and learn how to shoot well at 100, 200, and 300 yards until it's easy and boring. If you have a chance, shoot at some longer distances to get a feel for how "easy" it is, or not, depending upon your skill level.

Just buying this guy's "mile zeroed magic stick" will not make you capable of hitting targets at a mile. Once you can hit 1000 yard targets regularly with your 5R, then decide if you are ready to send $5 per shot downrange at longer distances, including possibly that magic mile.

You can thank me then, or maybe we will shoot together some time. That's where the real fun is anyway, sending rounds downrange while chatting and sharing the range camaraderie with like-minded folks.

I wish you well, but do not spend your hard-earned cash chasing rainbows until you know that you are really ready. Spend that money on ammo and trigger time.

Yeah, like I said above......I plan to start with the Remington 5R at about 300 yards and move up as I increase skills.
I got a great price on the .338 Lapua and 7 boxes of ammo Federal Premium .300 gr. with it. It wasn't until 2 weeks after I bought it that I wrote and asked where the scope was zero'd at, 100 or 200 yards. When he told me it's at a mile, I kinda went, hunh?
My plan was to buy and get good with the 5R at 300 yards, then graduate to greater distances. It might take a year to get to the .338 Lapua at a mile, and that's O.K. I'm too cheap to shoot the .338 at such a high cost factor with zero chance of hitting the target.
In all honesty, there's a very VERY good chance I'll end up trading or selling it before I even get good enough to attempt shooting it. I'm 54 years old and only just got into guns about 3 years ago. I shoot handguns 95% of the time.
Again, the deal on this Lapua was so good I had to buy it. If I shoot it someday, cool, if not, that means I made alot of $$$ on it.
Buddy of mine and I are going to go take a day course at Bang Steel in VA, as soon as he can get off work.

The following is his email reply to me when I asked what yardage it is zero'd at.........

"Where it was, I had it set at the mile mark. I believe it was 1 or 2 revolutions from being all the way up. I left it that way so there would be less tension on the vertical springs in storage. I believe if you dial it all the way down, with that -30 min AD mount, it would be around the 400 yard mark (not sure exactly since my goal was the mile). Those mounts are touted as holding the zero very well after removing and reattaching. Hope that helps."

.............so I think I misunderstood him and that he is saying that where the elevation is currently, it's a mile on the crosshairs. But he says he THINKS zero is at 400 yards??? Also, I don't see where leaving the crosshairs a revolution or 2 from the top is going to create less spring tension. I'm a fairly intelligent man, a journeyman tool and die maker by trade, but I'm not buying his idea of scope spring pressure attributes.

That sounds more like it. It isn't that unusual for an ELR rifle to have a 300 or even 400 yard zero, so I could buy that.

You seem to have the right mindset and are willing to take some training courses, and that's the best thing you can do for your goal. Take that day course, shoot a while, then take another course. Just my opinion.

Enjoy the sport. You may find yourself hooked soon enough.

Cool, he sounded like he knew what he was talking about, but since I haven't read "Sniping for Dummies" I don't know what I'm talking about !!! A day class is first on the list, tehn practice, then the 2 day advanced class. I know there's no short cutting when wanting to get good and it comes to doing it right.
Thanks man.

shoot as far as u can hold 1 moa groups (1"@100yards, 2"@200yards, etc.) if u can't maintain that level of accuracy u shouldn't be shooting any further... also starting out with a 338 is gonna be a challenge i think most would agree. If u do not learn the fundamentals of marksmanship and apply them u will get frustrated or think it has something to do with your equipment. the gun will do the same thing every time if ur getting shot variations look inward its something ur doing. like dogtown said crawl walk run. and have fun :)

That was my goal exactly !!!! Shoot moa before moving on. Otherwise it's called, WASTING AMMO !!!

lol, that's cool too. But when I got my 338 Lapua I just shot a few rounds at 100 yards to sight in then went right to 1 mile. But that's what I wanted to do anyways. Going further out your wind calling ability will be the biggest challenge, a slight cross wind here and there between the target will throw you off 1 mile+, but that won't really show up when shooting 300 yards. Good luck on your shooting bro!

You are kidding right? No, it's not normal, nor likely real.

If you are not, then know that this guy is bullshitting you and you fell into the ELR wannabe trap. Not bashing you, as it's easy to get carried away and want to "get out there", but do yourself a favor and learn how to shoot well at 100, 200, and 300 yards until it's easy and boring. If you have a chance, shoot at some longer distances to get a feel for how "easy" it is, or not, depending upon your skill level.

Just buying this guy's "mile zeroed magic stick" will not make you capable of hitting targets at a mile. Once you can hit 1000 yard targets regularly with your 5R, then decide if you are ready to send $5 per shot downrange at longer distances, including possibly that magic mile.

You can thank me then, or maybe we will shoot together some time. That's where the real fun is anyway, sending rounds downrange while chatting and sharing the range camaraderie with like-minded folks.

I wish you well, but do not spend your hard-earned cash chasing rainbows until you know that you are really ready. Spend that money on ammo and trigger time.

Is .338 Lapua really $5 per shot? I would assume this is factory or match grade ammo? Holly smokes, if a guy did not reload for this, that would be very expensive to shoot a lot!