• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

New to muzzle brakes and need opinions

Pastureman98

Private
Minuteman
Apr 2, 2017
Holyrood, KS
I am about to finish a re-barrel on a 7STW. Toying with a brake but have only had one on a 6.5 CM that doesn't seem to do anything but make it louder.
Mostly gonna be a hunting rifle but will play around with some ELR with it as well.
Gunsmith says a fat bastard, I just wanted to get some opinions from folks with more experience than I.
Thanks

If you don't absolutely have to have a break JP makes a flash hider that is absolutely awesome. It will almost completely kill the flash from a 10.5 AR-15. Just another option. (And it's 50 bucks)

I think if you took the brake off the 6.5 you would realize it is doing something, assuming it’s a good brake. My unbraked 6.5 recoils much harder than my braked 300 Norma Mag. I agree that I hate how loud they are though. That’s why I didn’t do one on my 6.5. I’m about to turn my AR into a Valkyrie and it prob won’t have one.

I am about to finish a re-barrel on a 7STW. Toying with a brake but have only had one on a 6.5 CM that doesn't seem to do anything but make it louder.
Mostly gonna be a hunting rifle but will play around with some ELR with it as well.
Gunsmith says a fat bastard, I just wanted to get some opinions from folks with more experience than I.
Thanks
You want to talk about loud, that fat bastard is loud as hell. Area 419 self timing brake.

Reactions: Vodoun daVinci
I like the Patriot Valley Arms 'Jet Blast' I've got on my 6.5 Creedmoor; reduced the recoil by 50-60%, lets me see target impact, and doesn't bother the neighboring lanes. It's self timing and PVA's customer service was great do deal with.

Attachments

• 20180821_123513.jpg
    20180821_123513.jpg
    405.1 KB · Views: 53
  • 20180731_092825.jpg
    20180731_092825.jpg
    339.3 KB · Views: 65
  • 20180731_092813.jpg
    20180731_092813.jpg
    337 KB · Views: 45
Reactions: Codiekfx400
Shooting a muzzle brake on a hunting rifle is a question in itself. If your going to put a brake on it I would do a PVA brake. The PVA brakes are self timing and can be removed in seconds when you want to go on your hunt with no ear protection.

Reactions: SonicBurlap
Hunt with no ear protection. Either you're deaf as they come or you don't hunt much. Even w/o a brake I shudder at shooting my rifles without hp.. and we never used it years ago.

i put the fat bastard on my 338nm it made a big difference over the previous brake, never shot it without a brake and dont want to. they are loud but it will let you shoot much better and a hell of alot more comfortable

Hunt with no ear protection. Either you're deaf as they come or you don't hunt much. Even w/o a brake I shudder at shooting my rifles without hp.. and we never used it years ago.
Myself and no other hunter I know hunts with ear protection. Shooting prairie dogs yes. Shooting a deer never have seen anyone use ear protection.

Reactions: BudgetBuilder
Myself and no other hunter I know hunts with ear protection. Shooting prairie dogs yes. Shooting a deer never have seen anyone use ear protection.
I noticed more and more elk hunters here in Colorado with the E.A.R. Inc. Hear Defenders in their ears over the last few years. Let's you hear normal conversations just fine but shuts out loud noises. I got some myself for range and field and they make a big difference no headaches coming home from the range with those Mickey Mice on my big noggin all day, and I'm not deaf all day when coming home from the field. Take up less space in my range bag too - well worth the money.

Last edited:
Reactions: Codiekfx400
Ratworxusa.com manufactures a Big Chubby and Little Chubby. They are amazing. I have a Big Chubby on my .308 and it takes all of the recoil out of it. Buddy has a little chubby on his .300wm and lets him stay on target.

No.

Suppressor or bare muzzle. For a hunting rifle where you're going to shoot maybe 10 rounds in a sitting at the range, and 2-3 at worst in the field, I wouldn't throw down the cash for a brake...

I'm extremely anti-brake though. I'd rather throw down for a can.

Going to start off by saying that I am biased towards our product, but you could give the MDT Elite, self timing muzzle brake a look? We have released these just in the last month or two here, but have had sponsored shooters testing them as early as February with great results! Give them a look on our site :)

Josh

No.

Suppressor or bare muzzle. For a hunting rifle where you're going to shoot maybe 10 rounds in a sitting at the range, and 2-3 at worst in the field, I wouldn't throw down the cash for a brake...

I'm extremely anti-brake though. I'd rather throw down for a can.

I completely agree with this.

Thread the barrel, sure, so that when (if) you do elr it you can run something for many shots. But if you are hunting only I wouldnt run a brake on it out in the field. That means you have to take the time to put on earmuffs before you shoot or god help your ears should you forget.

Sure some brakes are less concussive, but even the least obnoxious brake will still leave you in pain if you ever fire one off without the ear muffs on. A bare muzzle is still loud and may ring a bit, but you wont feel like you got hit over the head with a skillet. I forgot my can at home one time and tried to hunt with just the brake mount. Never again.

Ratworxusa.com manufactures a Big Chubby and Little Chubby. They are amazing. I have a Big Chubby on my .308 and it takes all of the recoil out of it. Buddy has a little chubby on his .300wm and lets him stay on target.

I just put the little chubby on my CTR and can see impacts at 200 yds. Hearing protection is a must. I'm now going to thread my 300wm and get a chubby for it, probably little as it's a hunting gun.

I met the creator of the big/little chubby. Great guy that is a swat sniper and instructor. It does it's job very well.

Thanks
Take a look at Terminator muzzle breaks. They are made in New Zealand. I have the TT Terminator on my Ruger Precision Rifle. Works great.

The Area 419 Hellfire brake works incredibly well. The APA brakes are equally effective. Forgetting your ears & shooting either is definitely not recommended.

I don’t think the Surefire brakes get enough credit for how well they perform either.