• It's Hunting Season: Show Us Your Rack!

Hunting season is finally here and we want to see pictures of your rack! Show us what you've got and we'll throw in a few t-shirts to people that send pics 👀

View thread
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Newb question on Howa 1500 .308 1:10 twist 22inch bbl

Despite what most people think, short barrels are not ideal for long range work.

Yeah, you can get hits, however, in any sort of windy scenario, your hit percentage goes waaay down.

If you also anticipate running your rig in a precision match, the short barrel will be an impediment. The serious long range shooters do it with 30-32" barrels for a reason.

If you must use a 308 at distance, don't handicap yourself...get as long a tube as you can. You can always cut it back in the future, but you cant add length to it.

One more bit of advise; Ditch the 175/168s...I'm assuming you are talking about Sierra Match Kings. While accurate, they are an outdated bullet design and really hobble 30-cal performance.

I am a big advocate of the Berger 168 & 185s. They are MUCH better options for range work in 30-cals. They are pricey, but conistent, with sky-high BC ans makes getting to 1,000yards with 308s much easier.

A more economical choice is the 178gr Hornady HPBT (not AMAX). It has the same BC as the sierra 190gr SMK, but can be pushed about 100-120ft/s faster.

Last edited:
Folks use 20" .308's to reach 1000 all the time.
The Howa 1500 is an awesome rifle.
XLR makes a chassis for the howa and MCree will be coming out with one soon.

I have had excellent results with RL15, Varget and IMR 4064.

TX,

Thanks. You nailed it for me with "...You can always cut it back in the future, but you cant add length to it." Also, thanks for the great bullet info. I have been seeing the Bergers mentioned but was not aware of the outdated status of the SMKs (which you correctly assumed I was referring to). Good to be aware of the Hornadys as well

fdkay,

LOL..remember, I'm a noob. I doubt that I'll be reaching 1,000 anytime soon even with a longer bbl but good to know it can be done with the shorter tubes. Also, thanks for the powder recommendations. In my readings, Varget seems to come up often.

Happy shooting to both of you!