Night Vision Newb wanting to pick up night vision

Kayakfish1

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Mar 9, 2019
Greensboro nc
First I'll start by saying that my desire to mess with night vision is based solely off of "sure would be cool to have"......I dont night hunt, I dont have anywhere to really shoot at night, and I dont "operate" in any way, but I've been wanting to get in to playing with some night vision. Because of my lack of really having a justifiable "need" for night vision I'm not sure I wanna drop the coin on a set of gen 3 nv. I have a little experience with some old gen 1 (I think) monoculars my neighbor used to have and it was pretty neat to play around with. So I have a few questions about how I should go about this.

1. What type of device would be considered a good "starting point" for getting in to NV? (I'm kinda leaning towards a helmet mounted device of some sort, already have a bump helmet and would just need an arm for it)

2. I found a pvs 7 set locally for 1100 that seems to be in pretty good shape, would they be worth it?

3. Is there a good reputable source for a used setup to save a few bucks to get my feet wet before going all in?

Figured I would ask here because no one I know really has any experience with nvgs and I dont like asking people that are trying to sell something I'm looking to purchase for fear of a less than honest answer.

Thanks for any info!

Based on your stated usage you would probably be happy with a gen2+ device since you don’t want to drop the coin for gen3.

You can find them pretty reasonable. A monocular is going to be the most versatile and easiest to use. However if you want to get in cheap and don’t plan to do much other than just play around with them I’ve seen gen3 pvs7 units pop up in the PX for around $1500 or less.

Reactions: shoobe01
@Surgeon_Shooter is who you seek.
I agree with @Rerun7 I would lean towards a pvs-14 if funds allow, super versatile and parts are easily sourced if you have an oops moment!
-
Same advise here ..
The 1st thing you do when you pull-up to a spot to set-up and hunt . You put on your NOD and step out the truck, and everything gear used after that is personal preference and taste for NV gear .
( a perfect world ) .. It all should start after you get a PVS14 and good supporting helmet . You need Good vision, stealthy and safe foot travel to do anything correctly at night. You need work on that before jumping ahead to a weapons sight .

Reactions: Chevoke and Frog05
Ended up picking up a pvs 7 with a gen 3 tube locally, price was good enough I decided to pick it up and in the future if I come across a deal on a 14 I'll be upgrading and selling the 7s, but so far just messing around the house with them they're doing great. Now I just gotta find an ir laser setup for my 300blk.

Attachments

• 20190818_201233.jpg
    20190818_201233.jpg
    599.5 KB · Views: 74
@Kayakfish1 the Crimson Trace CMR-201IR is a pretty useful little laser for close range. They are discontinued, but pop up on the PX or the bay every once in a while. It’s an inexpensive way (~$150) to get into it before you go drop money on a legit Laser/illuminator.

I had one of those Crimson Trace IR units and foolishly sold it. Pretty sure it was north of $150 however....anyway, solid unit. For a f-around thermal, get a Leupold Tracker; bought one (2nd gen HD I think?) for like $500 and it works great at spotting!

@Kayakfish1 the Crimson Trace CMR-201IR is a pretty useful little laser for close range. They are discontinued, but pop up on the PX or the bay every once in a while. It’s an inexpensive way (~$150) to get into it before you go drop money on a legit Laser/illuminator.

You mentioned, "laser/illuminator" wasn't the CT unit a single IR pointer? What I did I miss?

There are no 'good, reputable' sources for used night vision. Either you buy new from TNVC or another larger dealer, or risk buying a stolen or otherwise shanky unit. The night vision business is a ruthless one and when buying used you're always rolling the dice. It is hard to go wrong with a PVS-7 for $1k, they still work well all things considered. I would take a PVS-7 over many civ gen2 devices.