Newbie to ELR

Pastureman98

Private
Minuteman
Apr 2, 2017
Holyrood, KS
I recently moved to N Central Kansas and am interested in ELR. Range up the road (Spearpoint Ranch) goes out to 2200 yds. I'm gonna try with my 7STW and NF Atacr 5-25 with 168 SIE MK.
That said any recommendations for rifles <$2000 would be appreciated. Considering the Savage 11/111 in 338 Lapua.
Please advise.

I recently moved to N Central Kansas and am interested in ELR. Range up the road (Spearpoint Ranch) goes out to 2200 yds. I'm gonna try with my 7STW and NF Atacr 5-25 with 168 SIE MK.
That said any recommendations for rifles <$2000 would be appreciated. Considering the Savage 11/111 in 338 Lapua.
Please advise.
Your 7STW is an awesome cartridge for LR work, just get used to it and will show you just how good a boy he can be.

Keep the money from a new rig and spend it on the ammo and I am sure you'll know exactly what you want when you get to shooting out a barrel. On the other side you could go the custom route and be very happy with it and then it would also be in any cartridge you would want.

I did see that. My rifle is a 1:9 so I'm gonna get some 180-190gr bullets and see how it goes. I have US869, Retumbo, and H1000 (my set up does about the same with all three at 835 yds.
Thanks for the help gents. I will come back and report after the first try.

I did see that. My rifle is a 1:9 so I'm gonna get some 180-190gr bullets and see how it goes. I have US869, Retumbo, and H1000 (my set up does about the same with all three at 835 yds.
Thanks for the help gents. I will come back and report after the first try.

I would stay away from the 180/190's in a 1:9.. I am running a 8.5 26" and push the 168 Bergers around 3150..

At 2K, stuff on paper doesn't always work out as you'd think.. The drops and wind drift might look better, but add a bit of wind and the stability might go out the window with slow velocity slow twist narrow projectiles.

Speed is your friend in this game, more twist with more speed (assuming your not grenading the jackets) is going to work out better at the deep trans end than a marginally stable cutting edge BC like the 190 7mm.. It is a balancing act, not really about riding the edge of the very best BC offered.

Hope this makes sense.