Lowlight

HMFIC of this Shit
Staff member
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Apr 12, 2001
    Base of the Rockies
    www.snipershide.com

When people discover my interest in long-range shooting, Extreme Long Range (ELR) often comes to mind. They frequently ask how far I shoot and what caliber I use. Beyond these common questions, there's often curiosity about how to manage factors like heartbeat and the Earth's rotation, likely influenced by portrayals in movies or books.

ELR shooting fascinates many because of the universal appeal of hitting distant targets and the challenges involved. This article recounts my journey to participating in an ELR match and shares insights I believe can help shooters interested in hitting distant targets, regardless of whether they plan to compete.

B4E51076-2A37-43F5-9642-2EF3E6F6412A-1440x1080.jpeg

Journey to the Nightforce ELR Match

I have been competing in long-range shooting for many years. My performance in competitions has driven me to strive to understand various aspects of shooting to the best of my ability and always work to expand it. My goal has always been to be well-rounded rather than a master of a single discipline. This led me to explore different styles of long-range shooting. However, large-scale ELR competitions are rare, and life, work, and other commitments often prevented me from attending. This year, I finally had an opportunity to participate in one of two events I had my eye on.

ELR competitions have a mystique for new participants, but finding useful information can be challenging. To avoid getting bogged down with unnecessary details, I decided to focus on what I already knew from my shooting experience and approach the match with a "competition clinic" mindset. This meant treating the event as a learning experience rather than just a competition. I took it seriously, bought a notebook, and planned to record observations and data for each stage of the match in Wyoming.

Before diving into the event, let's address the logistical hurdles:

41C23C69-7A1D-4664-A9D4-F3E030890F4B-1440x805.jpeg

I saw Chris there on day 2 but with the match flow didn’t get a chance to chat. I’ll have to read this more thoroughly when I’ve got more time but if someone is going to this match:
    Make sure you’ve got good dope to 1500+ ive seen lots of peoples dope fall apart past 1000.
    You need tools.
    Don’t jack your load up, hot loads cause problems.
    Drink water.
    Have fun.

Also the KRG match is super fun also