• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Rifle Scopes night forces one peice mount

kluxman45

Private
Minuteman
Jun 27, 2010
south of canada
Is Nightforces direct mount any good?Is it better then the piccatinney rail and rings,if not, why?Id think something like the directmount would be stronger,Nightforce said also you dont have to lap the rings,there all one peice and cant get out of line with the base.

Re: night forces one peice mount

I'm looking at the direct mount for my model 700, it looks like a good mount and I have several on hunting rifles by other manufacturers. One of the drawbacks in this mount is the lack of adjustability.

The direct mount is a great mount. A solid one piece keeps it simple and once its mounted you dont have to worry about it. The lack of adjustmnet isn't really a concern if you use the mount for its purpose, 20 MOA mount with a 30mm tube, its meant for distance shooting. A nice 30mm tube scope, like an NXS, will give you enough internal adjustment should you need it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steve56</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is Nightforces direct mount any good?Is it better then the piccatinney rail and rings,if not, why?Id think something like the directmount would be stronger,Nightforce said also you dont have to lap the rings,there all one peice and cant get out of line with the base. </div></div>

It is not a question whether the NF Direct Mount is good or not. The only question that needs to be answered is whether for your application does the NF Direct Mount add or detract from usability?

So what are the advantages of the NF DM?

1)Light weight -Yes
2) True Alignment - Yes
3) Maximum strength - ? the mount is only as strong as the 6-48 screws that hold it on, which is true of any mount....

Disadvantages:

1) Limited fore and aft movement to get proper eye relief
2) Limited to 1" or 1.25" ring height- which is too high if your going to run any scope with a less than 50mm objective. Regular Pic. rings come in at least 5 heights.
3) No rail to attach - Bubble levels or ADIMT on. You can find ring mounted versions of such devices, but again you will have limited tube space in which to mount them.
4) With a standard Picatinny rail mounted scope, you can keep a spare sighted in scope, and swap if you have a scope failure. Can't play that game with a NF direct mount.

None of this says that the NF Direct Mount is bad. It just has advantages and disadvantages that need to be understood in context and weighed for and against your application.

Bob

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steve56</div><div class="ubbcode-body">always some one nit picking lol.once its on why would you fuck with it </div></div>

You resurrected your own 4 month old tread to complain about nit-picking. You asked for an evaluation on a product, and you got several, including mine. If you don't like what someone has to say about a product, then don't ask, just make up your own mind like a big boy.

Nothing resurrected,read it:I dont have the base plate or did I buy any rings yet.but the rifle I have is a remington 700 5r milspec,has a heavier barrel.Its a stock rifle.Im going with steel nightforce picatenny one peice 20 moa base plate,but I need to know what height of steel nightforce rings should I buy.scope is a nightforce benchrest 8x32x56 A lot of you know this already Im sure,I figured its faster to ask, thank you.
nothing about the direct mount