Rifle Scopes Nightforce 2.5x10x32 vs Leupold LR/T 3.5x10x40

jackal2001

Private
Minuteman
Mar 1, 2009
I posted this over at AR15 but want some more help deciding.
I need help deciding between the Nightforce 2.5x10x32 NP-R2 and the Leupold LR/T 3.5x10x40 Illiminated TMR # 60015

I am building a MK12 MOD0 clone and I know the correct optic would be the Leupold. I'm not really that concerned about matching the optic with the rilfe. I already own one Nightforce optic, 3.5x15x50, and I don't own a Leupold. I've been hearing some people say here that leupold are not all they are cracked up to be, some say they are great.

Just some things I've found out.

Leopold
Pros:
Parallax Adjustment (compared to the NF model)
Lifetime Warranty

Cons
The TMR reticle is a mil based reticle-but the scopes adjustments are in MOA
Heavier: 21oz.
Optics only tested in batches before they leave the factory.
3 degree cant is considered within spec on the recticle

Nightforce
Pros:
Lighter: 19oz.
Better Glass Maybe
Lifetime Warranty
Every optic tested before leaving the factory

Cons:
No Parallax Adjustment (on this model)

I am also concerned about not having parallax adjustment but I mostly shoot under 200 yards all the time. From what I know parallax is only an issue at long distances. Is that true?
I found out that the nightforce 2.5x10x32 is set for parallax at 125 yards to infinity? what does that mean exactly?

Some things I have found about Leupold are they can have canted recticles and have tracking issues. The proper optic for my build would be a leupold but I don't want to have any issues. Spending over $1K right now is not throw away money so I need to make the right choice the first time.

Pic of future optic holder:
MOD0_1.jpg

Re: Nightforce 2.5x10x32 vs Leupold LR/T 3.5x10x40

Jackal2001,
I KNOW that Leupold stands behind their products. Mark 4 optics have a LIFETIME warranty, no matter if you are the original owner or not. I had an issue with a Mark 4 recemtly. Within 1 week, they had a NEW optic in my hands. The tech I spoke with out there was awesome and said it was quicker for them to send me a new unit as opposed to making me wait for the repair.

I can not offer you an opinion on which to buy. However when I look at pics of Sniper competitons I see few Leupolds and alot of Nightforce, US Optics, and Schmidt and Benders. That may be a clue?

Good luck. I wish I had your problems. That is a nice looking optic holder you have there. Specs?

Jack

With leupold YOU are the quality control: If you want to test the scope, and box it correctly before final acceptance and use of the product then it's not a bad way to go.

But think twice about the Leupold illumination feature: it's bulky and inconvenient when compared to the NF.

And why do you list the parallax control as a 'pro' on the Leupold? Do you mean when compared to a NF without that feature? Because the Leupold side focus design is inferior: you will have to adjust the setting to infinity then dial back to the new range at which you are focusing each time.

Bottom line: at under 200 yards you really don't need either scope. When you do need to scope that rifle put the 3.5-15x50 that you already have on top, and in the meanwhile save your money.

I've found out that Leopold believes that a 3 degree cant in rectical is within specs.
crazy.gif

Basically I would go with a NF if someone can tell me that I won't have any problems with parallax with the NF model. I shoot anywhere from 50 to 100 yards most of the time at the range I got to that is only 10 minutes from me since it is the longest range they have. I don't shoot 400 yards or more and probably never will.

Basically I wanted to build a MK12 MOD0 clone, as close to the military origonal as possible. The correct optic for the MK12 MOD0 is a Leopold 3-9x MR/T but they don't make those anymore. So the next best thing would be the Leupold MK4 3.5x10x40 LR/T.
I have the OPS12th collar and brake as well, but waiting for OPS to get back to me on a collar modification. Suppressor will come later down the road.

Specs:
RRA Complete Lower with N/M trigger, A2 Stock
CMT upper receiver with a Denny's super duty BCG
WOA 18" Stainless Steel SPR Profile Match Grade Barrel With M4 Ramps
PRi Gen III Carbon Fiber Free Float Tube
PRi Gas Block/Front Sight Combo
PRI M84 Gas Buster Charging Handle
A.R.M.S. #22-Medium 30mm Scope Rings
A.R.M.S. #22 TRR™ Tactical Ring Rail
A.R.M.S. #32 Throw Lever Adapter For Harris Bipod
A.R.M.S. #38 SPR PEQ-2-3 Swan Sleeve
A.R.M.S. #40L-P Rear BUIS
Harris Series BRM-S 6"-9" Bipod

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jackal2001</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would go with a NF if someone can tell me that I won't have any problems with parallax with the NF model.</div></div>At 100 yards you won't have any problem with parallax using that scope.

I am going to be using that NF scope myself. I also own Leupolds too, the glass on the NF is much better and the range of magnification is larger with the NF too. The 2.5x10x32 model is new and I am putting one on my custom barrled AR15 myself. Personally I think NF made a great model when they came out with the 2.5x10x32!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body">With leupold YOU are the quality control: If you want to test the scope, and box it correctly before final acceptance and use of the product then it's not a bad way to go.

And why do you list the parallax control as a 'pro' on the Leupold? Do you mean when compared to a NF without that feature?

Bottom line: at under 200 yards you really don't need either scope. When you do need to scope that rifle put the 3.5-15x50 that you already have on top, and in the meanwhile save your money.
</div></div>

I would have to order online because there are no "local shops" here that carry that stuff.

Ya just meant that NF doesn't have the parallax adjustment on that model.

My OCD is kickin' in and I need complete rifles that I can just grab and are set up. Plus for this build I wanted something a little smaller and lighter than the 3.5x15x50 NXS that I already have.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jackal2001</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body">With leupold YOU are the quality control: If you want to test the scope, and box it correctly before final acceptance and use of the product then it's not a bad way to go.

And why do you list the parallax control as a 'pro' on the Leupold? Do you mean when compared to a NF without that feature?

</div></div>

I would have to order online because there are no "local shops" here that carry that stuff.

Ya just meant that NF doesn't have the parallax adjustment on that model.

My OCD is kickin' in and I need complete rifles that I can just grab and are set up. Plus for this build I wanted something a little smaller and lighter than the 3.5x15x50 NXS that I already have.</div></div>

I a pretty sure that NF has a parallax adjustment on that model. Look at the turret on the left side of the scope. That is the parallax adjustment.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Doug Kelley</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I a pretty sure that NF has a parallax adjustment on that model. Look at the turret on the left side of the scope. That is the parallax adjustment.</div></div>Not on the 2.5-10x32 that he's considering.

No I know for a fact there is no parallax adjustment on this model NF. That is for the illuminated recticle I believe.

When you pull the turret on the left out it illuminates the reticule but if you turn it the it will adjust the parallax. Or is it called something else?? It clears up your sight picture of the scope. I thought that was what parallax was. No?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jackal2001</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would go with a NF if someone can tell me that I won't have any problems with parallax with the NF model.</div></div>At 100 yards you won't have any problem with parallax using that scope. </div></div>

Thanks. That is what I was looking for.
I'm looking to get the NP-R2 model. That is what I have in the 3.5x15x50 NXS. At least this way I can be consistant and learn to use the ranging properly when calculating distances with targets, etc.

Maybe I am confused with some terms. But the left turrent turns on the illumination by pulling it out not turning. What is it called when you turn the turrent to clear your sight picture?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Doug Kelley</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When you pull the turret on the left out it illuminates the reticule but if you turn it the it will adjust the parallax. Or is it called something else?? It clears up your sight picture of the scope. I thought that was what parallax was. No? </div></div>

This particular model of NF NXS doesn't have that feature. You are thinking about the other NXSs such as the 3.5x15x50 where it works as exactly you described.

The Nightforce Compact models don't have a parallax adjustment. The left knob is for an adjustable illumination and that's it. There's nothing confusing-you rotate it and it goes from "off" through the various illumination settings.

As for a Mk12 Mod0, the correct scope is a Leupold 3.5-10x40 w/ M3 knobs. The 3-9x36 (or 2.5-8x36 they have now) was issued primarily with the Mod1's but to my knowledge not with the Mod0- I haven't seen any pictures with them either.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NF Optics-Bill</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

As for a Mk12 Mod0, the correct scope is a Leupold 3.5-10x40 w/ M3 knobs. </div></div>

That was the scope I intended on going with but with people bitching about leupold and canted recticles, poor tracking, poor clicking turrets, etc.... Do I really want to chance it with a Leupold?

Since I work for Nightforce, I won't say anything about which you should choose as it'll be viewed as biased.

I'm just saying that if you are building a dead-nuts clone of something, then that is the correct scope and not the 4-9x36 you referenced earlier.....

My heart says try a leupold for a dead-nuts clone.
My brain says NF because I don't want to waste my money on a leupold rebadged scope even though I have countless people telling me to get a leupold as most people never have problems with the leupolds.

Making a decision will be the death of me. I'm guessing I can always wait a few months as I heard leupold will be coming out with a new lineup of "tactical" scopes.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jackal2001</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NF Optics-Bill</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

As for a Mk12 Mod0, the correct scope is a Leupold 3.5-10x40 w/ M3 knobs. </div></div>

That was the scope I intended on going with but with people bitching about leupold and canted recticles, poor tracking, poor clicking turrets, etc.... Do I really want to chance it with a Leupold?</div></div>

I don't think you are chancing it with a Leupold scope. Both NF and Leupold are good scopes. I just like the NF better. They are all great scopes. It all depends on who you are talking too!

This is just my opinion,

Leupold makes a great scope there's no doubt about it. Glass is good, constructed to be used and abused which is key! Turrets are crisp and audible. Really can't say to many bad things about them. But really IMO there's no room for bragging either. But it is however A DAMN GOOD SOLID SCOPE.

The Night Force however has better...everything. Some would argue, but they'd be wrong. Again that's my opinion I don't have scientific evidence to back it up. I think more often than not a Leupold Mk4 has become the industry's standard in long range/combat shooting. Are there other scopes out there that perform better? Yes, we all know there are more top of the line scopes on the market today. But If you could buy a MK4 and a NF for about the same amount of money wouldn't you buy the one with better machining and construction?

But if your only looking to shoot 200 yards with it why bother with either? A Mk4 or NF isn't really something you need although you may want it. A MK4 OR NF doesn't add any inches to your pecker so why pay out that type of cash.

How about a Mk2, Bushnell 4200, Zeiss Conquest.

Hell any maker with good clear glass and 3-9 power should really suffice.

I'd rather have it and not need it, then not have it and need it.
I've been trying to find longer ranges too shoot at and if I find one, it will be great.
I love shooting nice small .5 MOA groups. My brother on the other hand buys the cheapest crap optics that usually break but all he cares about is throwing lead downrange. I'm more of a precision shooter.... or at least want to strive for it.
Maybe what I will do is see if Cabela's has any of them on the shelf and get a hands on experience with them before I decide.

Stop wringing your hands, jackal2001, and just buy the NF. I thought this was a no-brainer when you said you didn't care about making a clone. After that, it's just about which scope is better. Try Mike at CSGunworks.com for a great price on the NF.