• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Rifle Scopes Nightforce ATACR 4-16x42 - ZeroHold feature not working

Ch0b0

Private
Minuteman
Apr 12, 2020
Upstate NY
This scope has a feature where the turret will lock into place when you reach the zero mark. I followed the instructions to set the zero to up from 2 mils from bottoming out. However, the ZeroHold feature does not lock in at all. I can't push the cap any further down and I'm pretty sure I rotated the clutch dial all the way clockwise as I can't make adjustments past 2 mils down from the zero.

Anyone have ideas on what I could be missing or does it sound like I need to send this in? They have a 6 week lead time on repairs ATM.

From the horse's mouth:

Instructions for setting 4-16 F1 Zero Hold
1. Establish Zero
2. Remove Elevation Cap
3. Loosen 4 screws one full turn in clutch wheel assembly.
4. Rotate down, snug not tight
5. On Mil come back up ¼ turn
6. On MOA come back up 1/8th turn
7. After you have made this adjustment, use your thumb to hold wheel in place as you tighten the four screws (2 inch pounds in a star pattern using T6 Torques Driver)
8. Put turret cap back on the optic. (Indexing the zero engraving mark on cap to the body tube index line).
9. Tighten cap screws 10 inch pounds.
10. Check to ensure you have the 2 MILS or 5 MOA travel below zero.

If you are not reaching the full travel below zero take cap off and loosen the 4 clutch screws. Rotate clutch assembly counter clockwise a little bit more.

Re-tighten the 4 set screws (2 inch Pounds in a star pattern)

Put turret cap back on zero, tighten cap screws, and then re-confirm you have the 2 MILS or 5 MOA travel below zero.

I can almost guarantee there is nothing wrong with it. These turrets are funky to deal with, kinda like a rubik's cube.... Just be patient and follow the directions to the letter. That last step needed repeating a few times for me. When you finally get it you won't know how you got it. Whiskey after this (but only after.)

Yep, confirmed there is nothing wrong with it. I tried running through the process yet again and it wasn't working. I noticed that I thought I was bottoming out at 2 mils down, but the button was actually engaging a lock on a different location. There was more room to turn the clutch dial.

I still couldn't turn it past my initial point with my fingers (slippery or weak fingers?). I know it's supposed to be snug and not tight, so I put the cap back on with the clutch plate screws loose and then tightened the turret cap screws. Gently rotated it down further. Unfortunately I felt a few more clicks slip at one point so I assume my zero is down a bit now. However, when I put the cap back on it actually engages the hold at the zero mark.

I guess I have a tighter clutch plate towards the end?

edit: I can get it further down by finger strength alone now. I needed to loosen the clutch plate screws more than one full turn.

Last edited: