• Site Updates Coming Monday

We’re planning to start making changes bright and early on Monday so you might see the site down fir a bit, but no worries, we’ll make our changes and be back as soon as we can!

VIEW THREAD
  • Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Nightforce C538 NXS 2.5-10x24

MSTN

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 31, 2010
MIDDLE OF ARIZONA
mstn.biz
Nightforce just released a limited run of 300 of these. This should get the clone builders all worked up!

IMG_4849.jpg

where did they announce it? I know they are supposed to announce something on instagram today but nothing as of yet. I was secretly hoping they would update the optic to compete with Leupold's 2-10.

Mile High and Sport Optics got ‘em also, but only Mile High shows in stock at the time of this post.

Reactions: MSTN
Was hoping they'd have something to compete with the Leupold 2-10, but I guess not. Good for the cloners I suppose.

Reactions: Midnight_90
How is the fov on these? Looking at the pictures, the eye piece looks pretty thick.

FWIW Optics Planet has the for backorder: $1950.00 delivery by Dec 2024.

Still love mine from 8-10 years ago.
Euro Optic will allow me to backorder as well. Either one worth it over the other?

Was hoping they'd have something to compete with the Leupold 2-10, but I guess not. Good for the cloners I suppose.
I would have loved it to be FFP with a christmas tree reticle. I think it would have been this year's best optic if so. But I'll take the standard SFP MIL-R. I wonder if they did any upgrades to this release.

Maybe testing the waters to see if putting a 2-10 ATACR out there is worth it to compete with the MK5, MK4, and ZCO, etc.

Does anyone remember how many were in the last limited batch they did? It felt like they remained in stock for quite awhile... At least I couldn't believe they were still in stock when I picked mine up in 2017.

I would love a 2-10x ATACR as long as the packaging of the NXS didn't get butchered too badly and give me Mil-R. With how badly the 4-20x is packaged, I wouldn't be surprised with them releasing a 13" 28oz 2-10x beast out of confusion.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: PBWalsh
Nightforce has always made terrific optics. The NF NXS 2.5-10x24 was the very best in its class when introduced over 20 years ago. It's still a very desirable optic for clone builders - perhaps THE most.

But, there are more capable choices available to us today. Example: For the same MRSP, you can get a first focal plane Nightforce NX8 2.5-20x50 with a cool grid reticle. But, it just won't be "right" on your SPR or Recce clone.

Reactions: Texascbr
How's it like?. I know NF never disappoints with their optics.
As someone that loves a good NF and still has 2 of them on my go-to rifles, NF can disappoint...

Focusing only on the x24, the experience is less than stellar at 10x compared to its x32 or x42 counterparts with regards to eyebox or if light is low. It forces you to learn how to get on your gun consistently in my experience, or back off the mag when in suboptimal positions. Opening up the criteria and looking at a similar price bracket, MSTN nailed it in that there are a lot of capable options with the only trade-off being weight and length.

With that said, I will probably never sell my x24 unless I am getting rabid cloner money for it. Freaking love it and I dont even have a SPR or Recce.

Reactions: youthman
I think my X42 has better color and brightness compared to the X24 but I prefer the image through the X24 in daylight. For my eyes it's flatter and doesn't have a fishbowl effect my X42's would sometimes exhibit. I also preferred the open mildots compared to the MIL-R because sometimes I'd lose the MIL-R in some backgrounds being as thin as it is.

When there were no 1-6x or 1-8x optics the X24 was a worthwhile option for carbines that needed more mag in a small package. Today's 1-8x and 1-10x optics are the spiritual successors to the 2.5-10x24 IMO.

I have an original 24mm mildot and a 32mm NP-R2. I have switched then back and forth on my mod0, and after this last rebarrel I put the 32mm back on. I find it easier to shoot. I get less parallax at 500+, reticle is easier for holds (though I love the hollow mildots), mag adjustment is smoother, and overall easier to use away from the bench. It is longer and maybe a little heavier, but the steel NF or Badger rings make the 24mm heavy as Fuck for a light optic.

I’m not a glass snob. If I can see it to shoot, good enough. That said, the 32mm appears brighter with better contrast.

The NXS 2.5-10x32 and 2.5-10x42 were each successive improvements.

But, the DOD in its inimitable fashion had already given the 2.5-10x24 NSN status. So, if in uniform, that's what you were going to get, unless open funds for outside purchase were available. Hence, the NXS 2.5-10x24 is the ultimate choice for clone builders.

As someone that loves a good NF and still has 2 of them on my go-to rifles, NF can disappoint...

Focusing only on the x24, the experience is less than stellar at 10x compared to its x32 or x42 counterparts with regards to eyebox or if light is low. It forces you to learn how to get on your gun consistently in my experience, or back off the mag when in suboptimal positions. Opening up the criteria and looking at a similar price bracket, MSTN nailed it in that there are a lot of capable options with the only trade-off being weight and length.

With that said, I will probably never sell my x24 unless I am getting rabid cloner money for it. Freaking love it and I dont even have a SPR or Recce.
Thanks for the heads-up, very informative.

I have used these scopes since they first came out. Probably owned 15 or more of them.
Not the scope for the optics freak.
I find the compact size, light weight and overall features are perfect for my use. I don’t use them for cloning or style. I use them because I’ve never found a scope this size and weight that out performs it.
IMG_8795.png

I have used these scopes since they first came out. Probably owned 15 or more of them.
Not the scope for the optics freak.
I find the compact size, light weight and overall features are perfect for my use. I don’t use them for cloning or style. I use them because I’ve never found a scope this size and weight that out performs it.View attachment 8448724
What barrel and gas block is that? Love that it looks similar to a mk11 mod 0 but what appears to be in a small frame 556.