• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Rifle Scopes Nightforce NXS extreme elevation adjustment

Masakari

Private
Minuteman
Feb 25, 2018

I have a Nightforce NXS 2.5-10x32, and it has approximately 10 and 1/2 full spins of the elevation dial from one extreme to the other. Right now, to be zeroed on this rifle, I am just over one full spin (12ish MOA) from the edge of my elevation adjustment, as it was initially shooting very high. Will this cause a degradation to optical clarity, or any other issues?

Not being a smartass, but can you just look through the scope when zero'd then dial to center of travel and look through it again? You'd be able to tell if you can see an optical degradation. I would also mount a chart or yardstick or something you can reference to check that the reticle is subtending correctly.

In my own experience, some scopes can have tracking errors at the outer extents of travel. Some do and some don't. I check it on every scope of my own.

Yeah and I'm trying to see for myself, but I just want to know if it's something that I may not notice at first, or if it will cause other issues, like tracking that you brought up. This will not be a scope that I dial, however being able to accurately adjust is important.

With a suppressor, my impacts are 12 MOA low, so that adjustment would alleviate the issue somewhat. But if being in the near extreme of my adjustment range may cause tracking issues when going back and forth between zeroes with/without a suppressor, that'd be an issue.

Yeah and I'm trying to see for myself, but I just want to know if it's something that I may not notice at first, or if it will cause other issues, like tracking that you brought up. This will not be a scope that I dial, however being able to accurately adjust is important.

With a suppressor, my impacts are 12 MOA low, so that adjustment would alleviate the issue somewhat. But if being in the near extreme of my adjustment range may cause tracking issues when going back and forth between zeroes with/without a suppressor, that'd be an issue.
IF there is a tracking error, it will be consistent up/down - that has been my experience. I'm just saying that you might experience a situation where a 1/4 MOA adjustment is actually 2% or 5% or 10% off (for example) at the outer extents, but then the adjustment value becomes more accurate as you get towards the center of travel. So, you should be able to easily adjust between your suppressed vs unsuppressed zero.

If you aren't dialing corrections, I would definitely check that the reticle subtends correctly. I'd assume that you probably aren't holding over for really long shots, but I'd still just check it since it takes almost no time. And just to be sure, I would check it at the outer extents of travel and at optical center because you'd already have everything out.

Ok thanks for that info. Makes sense, and I'm thinking that it'll work for me.

It has a BDC that is calibrated for short barreled .308. It'll be close enough for this rifle.