• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Rifle Scopes NightForce NXS vs. Benchrest

Re: NightForce NXS vs. Benchrest

Are you planning on using it for F-class and/or benchrest matches/shooting? If so then either will work well. I like the NXS with the hi-speed 1/8 MOA knobs for the side focus. I have owned both the BR and NXS 8.5-32X and the 12-42X. I prefer the 12-42 for 600 and 1000 yard BR shoots.

Take care,Stan

For a "square range" gun, I think the NF BR scopes are really tough to beat. The reticles available are so fine, it's very easy to get it centered up inside small X rings. Here, the lack of side parallax adjustment is no big deal. Here, the 1/8 MOA clicks are great for getting your rig dialed in perfect.

In short, for a non-tactical rifle that spends MOST of its time at "the range", the NF BR is a great choice! I wouldn't spend the extra money for an NXS in this case.

Just picked up a NXS-12-42x56-.125MOA-NP-2DD.

This is going on my heavy 6BR for some hometown Varmint Silhouette and 600 to 1000 BR Matches.

I chose the NXS over the Benchrest for the simple fact that in a year or two I may want to play a different game and or go with a reticle change and toss this on something not benchrest.

Here we go, but I am installing this in place of a 45X Luepold that I have become quite fond of but I for some reason think I need 2 BR rifles.

I like the open turrets, and 1/4 adjustments on the NF. Plus it gave me an excuse to run a Nightforce. In our game hitting little steel at distance is what counts, not tiny groups.

Not to get this into a pissing match, but (and keep in mind I haven't shot the NXS yet, but looked through both.
The Leupold (I run 4.5,6.5,8.5, etc x50's) seem brighter and crisper than NF. The NF to me is a bit smokey and dim. I think it is all in the eye of the shooter. May have something to do with FOV, ..... FWIW.

I have three NF scopes 5-22x56 8-32x56 NSX and 15-42x56 BR. They are all great scopes. For bench rest 600yd the BR gets the nod, it is very bright
the 8-32 NSX is on my Barrett98B. At this time it is used for 600yd BR. If you plan on long distance shooting I would pick the BR first then the NSX 8-32. You won't be sorry for owning either of these.

Depends on how far you are going to shoot and what cal you have. Benchrest model has less moa then nxs.
For example 8-32-56 nxs has 65 moa elv. and 45 moa wind
12-42x56 nxs has 45 moa elv. and 35 moa wind

8-32x56 br has 50 moa elv. and 50 moa wind
12-42-56br has 40 moa elv. and 40 moa wind

Not a big deal, but also not mentioned yet, is the illumination of the reticles. NSX requires unscrewing the turret, re-moving battery, guestimate the rheostat adjustment, re-assemble and hope its right. The BR models have outside adjustment for intensity.

Wind